We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Copyright question re: Rep of Ireland

Hi, First post.

I hope this is the right forum.

I have a book that I want to publish but want to make sure it is copyrighted first.

I have sent it to myself by registered post, so this is a basic copyright, but I want something more official than this and something that will apply to other countries.

I wonder does the ISBN apply a copyright to my book?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Teacher

Jamesthescribe wrote:

Hi, First post.

I have a book that I want to publish but want to make sure it is copyrighted first.

I have sent it to myself by registered post, so this is a basic copyright, but I want something more official than this and something that will apply to other countries.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

From http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/copyright-frequently-asked-questions.aspx

Q.  How do I register my Copyright?

A.  In Ireland, there is no registration procedure for owners of a copyright work.  The act of creating a work also creates copyright.  It is important that the originator of the work can show subsequently when the work and consequential copyright were created.  There are two ways of doing this

• Deposit a copy of the work with an acknowledged representative (who may be a bank or solicitor) in such as way as to allow the date and time of the deposit to be recorded or notarised.
    • Send a copy of the work to oneself by registered post (ensuring a clear date stamp on the envelope), retaining the original receipt of posting and leaving the envelope containing the copyright work unopened thus establishing that the work existed at that date and time.

You could always take the time and trouble to formally register copyright in another country that 1) registers and 2) allows foreign nationals to register.

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

Jamesthescribe wrote:

Hi, First post.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I see where sending a copy of your book to yourself is acceptable in Ireland (it is not so here in the US).

The US Copyright Office recognizes Irish copyrights by treaty, but I would be sure to make it as ironclad as possible...for instance, by posting a copy to an attorney or bank rather than yourself

The ISBN is simply a tracking number for your book (it identifies the publisher and the specific title). It has no bearing on copyright.

In the US, the copyright exists from the moment the work is created, but the registration of the copyright gives one the right to take action against infringements.

That is, registered or not, no one else can sue you for infringement based on your work, but if one has registered in the US, then one can sue infringing parties for damages.

For you to have your work's copyright registered overseas would certainly bolster your case.

I'm not a lawyer, and this is not advice.

• Re Copyright in Republic of Ireland, I understand the following (taken from Wikipedia) is correct: 

These are the 'Copyright Libraries' of the UK & Ireland.

The publisher of any publication in Ireland must deliver within one month of publication copies of the work to the National Library of Ireland, the British Library, and the Libraries of Trinity College Dublin, DCU, UL, and of the four constituent universities of the National University of Ireland; these nine bodies do not need to request such copies. Where such a publication is a serial work, a copy of every issue must be provided. In addition, four other libraries, those of the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge, and the National Libraries of Scotland and Wales, may require copies to be provided to them. All of the named bodies may also require an electronic copy of the work, which must be provided if it exists.[8]