Rejected? Why?

On 17th of April 2014 I published a fresh ePub. The 'Cover' (or Marketing Image) is the same dimensions etc to my other ePubs, the first one published in 2012 and on the sites that are said to have rejected this new one, and yet I have just received this >>

"  * Your image does not fill the entire area. This makes your cover contain white space in the unfilled portion. You may need to stretch your cover to fit the marketing image area."

What does it mean? EPubs do not have specific sized 'pages' because it depends on the screen size of the reading device and what options the reader selects. So what "entire area"? and how can there be "unfilled white space"?

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Just  "stretch to fit." The marketing image is square, so if you have a 6x9 you will have blank space to cover the difference.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

It is 612x796, and that's the size the ePub 'covers' are supposed to be. What's to stretch?

Two of the places that have supposedly rejected that one ePub already have six of my ePubs on, with exactly the same size 'cover'.

I await a reply from Lulu's 'Ticket'.

It's a bit annoying that they email by  a Noreply one.

• Maybe your reading too much into it. Like the lady said, "Just try changing the dominions of the picture a little bit!" Everybody wants it to be in a hurry. Maybe someone out there is letting you know that you may just need to have a little patients??? I'm sure you can do that. Besides, you love lulu.com. Don't sacrafice that for some misunderstanding. Or maybe you just read the e-mail. wrong. That's what happened  to me. I still don't know if they're going to publish the thing right!   KRB/CRC

• potetjppotetjp Professor

kevinlomas a écrit :

It's a bit annoying that they email by  a Noreply one.

They are right, otherwise they'd be plagued by people arguing on and on for the sake of arguing. Smiley LOL

Maybe your reading too much into it. Like the lady said, "Just try changing the dominions of the picture a little bit!"

To what? It's already the right size. That's the puzzling thing. But I am not sure about the dimensions Maggie gave. They are not for an ePub.

Everybody wants it to be in a hurry. Maybe someone out there is letting you know that you may just need to have a little patients???

Huh? Who said I'm in a hurry? I Put it on Kindle a while ago. But when one gets puzzling rejection mails like that from the system, perhaps they need to find out ASAP if it's a bug Smiley Happy

I'm sure you can do that. Besides, you love lulu.com. Don't sacrafice that for some misunderstanding.

Huh? (Part two).

Or maybe you just read the e-mail. wrong. That's what happened to me. I still don't know if they're going to publish the thing right!

But you have seen what it said, I pasted it in here, apart from the Lulu Services advert about offering to 'fix' it for a fee Smiley Happy

I know that at times the system can throw up bizarre error messages caused by a fault it does not mention, but as I say, the files for that ePub are exactly the same as all my other files for ePub. Such a fault would have shown up in the Cover Wizard while I was making it.

Granted, knowing from experience, there's times it can be fixed by going in to Revise but not actually changing anything, but that's not the point is it?

They are right, otherwise they'd be plagued by people arguing on and on for the sake of arguing

Indeed, and you should stop doing that. Smiley Wink

• Kevin. It doesn't allow for a automated review of your files to be submitted before you run into trouble. CreateSpace does do that but LuLu.com will allow you to submit a file right away without any pre-0pt notification so you really don't know anything until after the fact...

That's not at all true. The Wizard will pick out any faults such as the cover image being the wrong size.

I have been using Lulu for some time you know. I did my first ePub 2 years ago  Smiley Happy

• Kevin, I am right there with you.

I got the same message, the same 'no reply' email, and the same 'stretch to fit' comment, with a suggestion (and link) to pay Lulu to fix it.

The question I have (and cannot find ANYWHERE on Lulu, in any guide, or any formatting documentation) is "what dimensions?"

Because, as any decent graphics person will tell you (and I can go back to the guy who designed my book cover, and say the same, and will get the same response), "What dimensions?"

If it is perfectly square, then what resolution?  What's 'big enough' to fit the dimensions?  Because the message isn't "It's the wrong shape, make it square."

The message is, "Your image does not fill the entire area. This makes your cover contain white space in the unfilled portion. You may need to stretch your cover to fit the marketing image area."

"...does not fill the entire area." can only mean "it's too small" (not "it's the wrong shape").

So what is the rigth size and shape, Lulu? (Please respond in technical terms, because this "make it square" commentary is nonsense - go tell "make it square" to a graphic designer, and they'll say, "at what resolution?"  (i.e. what size.)

Please...can we actually get a decent answer to this question, because I am a bit miffed here...I waited four days to be told "it doesn't fit" - with no detail as to WHAT it's supposed to fit.

That's a bit unfair, I think.

Johnny 5 needs more input (not insults from frustrated people who don't actually have an answer). Smiley Happy

(But, just in case I am completely wrong, I am going to turn my rectangular ebook cover into a perfect square, down to the pixel, and then I am going to upload it...and wait breathlessly.  Here's to hoping!  I'll let you know if it works. Smiley Happy )

• kevinlomas wrote:

They are right, otherwise they'd be plagued by people arguing on and on for the sake of arguing

Indeed, and you should stop doing that. Smiley Wink

Mr. Pot, have you met Mr. Kettle? ;^)

• Dude!  I cracked it! Smiley Happy

It's not "square" as someone  put it.

The marketing image is actually portrait shaped (rectangular standing on its short edge).

And, if you go back to revise your project, when you get to the 'marketing image' page, you can tick the box that says "stretch to fit". 

So, when they say, "Stretch to fit" in the message, they literally mean, "Go back to revise your project, and on the Marketing Image tick the 'stretch to fit' box."

Obviously, that was too complex for Lulu tech support to draft.

That's your answer

eddieslain   This thread is many many months old and things are no longer the same.  Smiley Happy

Mr. Pot, have you met Mr. Kettle? ;^)

In what respect? It takes at least two to 'argue'. And I will also say to you, this thread is very old.  Smiley Very Happy

It does tell you the size required while in the Wizard, and it also tells you thr size in this thread.

612w x 796h (pixels)