Grey Background Error

Hello! I have had a book printed with lulu before with no problem.  But this time, some of the illustrations in my book randomly have a grey background, when they should be white.  I am confused because every single illustration comes from the same PSD file when i was making them, so they all have precisely the same white background.  When I open the individual images up in Photoshop to check the background colour, they are all the same, all exactly white.  When I open the PDF images in Photoshop, they are all white, all 100%.  I don't understand why it is that just some of them turn up with grey backgrounds in the printed copy... Anybody got advice?  If you need to see anything to understand what I'm describing, please let me know

Comments

• DysonLogosDysonLogos Bibliophile

What format are you saving the graphic files in?

If you are using .jpg you might be running into artifacting because of compression. What's worse is that this will be compounded by PDF conversion which then often resamples the jpg files. 

If you are using PNG files, they often try to have a transparent background, also something to avoid.

What software are you doing your layout in?

If working using MSWord, it often resamples your graphics for you, which if combined with files that use compression (such as jpg files) can result in artifacting. Using layout software is always preferable to using wordprocessing software when doing advanced layout such as using photos and graphics in a document.

What format are you uploading the final product in?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Just the pictures or the entire page? Someone recently said the paper has changed in their books and the examples they showed do indeed show that it's gone from pure white to light grey.

Having said that. The printing should be WYSIWYG.

If the PR Preview looks OK. If the original file looks (and always try a test print at home) OK, but most importantly > If the book has printed OK before, you need to take it up with Lulu via Help.

• Thanks for the suggestions Smiley Happy

Is the best thing for me to do is try something else besides JPGs, and select "lossless compression" when saving out the PDF?

The original files are JPG yeah.  I put them together using Photoshop.  But - all files are in one master PSD file when I am working on them, so they all have precisely the same background, and I am just switching out the layers I am working on above that background, which is why this has me scratching my head.  They are all precisely the same colour, but a few of them come out grey when printed.

I compile the JPGS in OpenOffice.

Whatever has happened to a few of these images, I don't know why it hasn't happened to all of them, as I didn't do anything differently with them.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Thanks for the suggestions :smileyhappy:

Is the best thing for me to do is try something else besides JPGs,

They work for me (at 300 or more DPI). I doubt they remain as jpgs once a file is converted to PDF anyway.

and select "lossless compression" when saving out the PDF?

I use Word and I have never actually changed the defaults on Word's Save As PDF, and they are > Standard (publishing for printing) - Page Range [All] - Document - Document Structure Tags - and the ISO option.

The original files are JPG yeah.  I put them together using Photoshop.  But - all files are in one master PSD file when I am working on them, so they all have precisely the same background, and I am just switching out the layers I am working on above that background, which is why this has me scratching my head.  They are all precisely the same colour, but a few of them come out grey when printed.

I assume you Merge all Layers?

I compile the JPGS in OpenOffice.

If all the images are in one file, how are you creating a Word Docx with them?

• Jpg files are a single layer, yeah.  What I mean is that while I am making the images, there is a plain white background layer, and then when I save out the Jpgs one by one, that background is always the same.  So the final jpgs should all be identical in terms of their background as I never touched the background layer.

Yeah all the files are 300DPI.  Again, since all files are identical in this way, I don't understand why it is just a few of them that turned out with grey, rather than all of them (or none).

I save out the jpgs one by one from Photoshop, so I have all my pages individually.  Then I go into OpenOffice and I put them all in there as pages, then I save out the PDF and upload that to lulu.

• Hello Captain_VS

I encouted the same problem. I am making a picture book.  I placed images with white backgroud, which were saved as TIFF files on Photoshop,then placed them into InDesign. To send the file to Lulu, I convert the whole pages to PDF. I comfirmed it was nothig on the white background when I print the PDF with local printer, i.e. Inkjet printer in the office and at home.

But when I received the final printed copies, there are slightly grayish tone on the background that came with the original image from TIF files are visible.

How did you resolve the problem? 

If you can tell me kindly, I really appreciate it !!!