I have never been so frustrated

I have been trying to two days now to get my tiny manuscript (it's a children's book of a whopping 26 pages) to load.  When I tried to load it using a word doc file (which the website clearly states is acceptable) it would hang up on the content creation wizard, whcih I understand others have had a problem with as well.  Out of sheer desperation today, I downloaded a PDF converter and tried to upload the file as a PDF and now it won't even upload.  It keeps saying that the Times font isn't imbedded.  I've been through my manuscript over and over and the only font I've used is Garamond.  I tried again and get the same error message.  I don't know what I am doing wrong but this is ridiculous. 

Anyone have anu suggestions?

Comments

•  

Well, yes. The Times font isn't embedded.

Although you haven't deliberately used that font, it's somewhere in the document.

This happened to me a long time ago and it was somthing like an area of spaces which had reverted to Words default font.

You could eithet save the document as a PDF with embedded fonts - that should do it. If your PDF converter can't do that, then do SELECT ALL on your doc and change all to Garamond

• Thank you for your quick reply. That is exactly what I did. On the third or fourth try, I've lost count now, I went back to the original document, selected all, and changed everything to Garamond (even though that's all I used to begin with). It still gives me the same error message. (And I did reconvert the edited doc to a new PDF.)

• AmberCamp wrote:
    Thank you for your quick reply. That is exactly what I did. On the third or fourth try, I've lost count now, I went back to the original document, selected all, and changed everything to Garamond (even though that's all I used to begin with). It still gives me the same error message. (And I did reconvert the edited doc to a new PDF.)

Yes, but did you embed fonts?

•  

BTW - you are posting about the same problem on two different threads at the same time.

• Thank you for being the forum police.

This issue is different than the original problem.

I shouldn's have to embed the font if it is one of the supported fonts.  And there isn't any Times font in my document to embed.

• I've found many PDF converters don't convert to the correct specifications required. Luckily MS Word allows you to convert by choosing to 'save as' PDF instead of saving the document as a word document. But you have to make sure the PDF save as settings are correct, or it will save as a PDF but not the correct specifications required to upload to Lulu. Here is how to do it:

• Open the word document you have been trying to upload (make sure you have set the page size to match what you are wanting it to be when in print)
    • Select 'save as'
    • Then select 'PDF' from the 'save as type' drop down list.
    • Then make sure the PDF setting is optimised for 'standard'
    • Then select 'options' and tick 'ISO 19005-1 compliant (PDF/A)' then select OK
    • Under 'tools', select 'save options' and tick 'Embed fonts in the file' and select OK
    • Then save a PDF version to be uploaded

All the best

Dan

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

There should be no need to embed fonts that are 'Lulu Standard', I know I have not.

Can you not Save and Upload a docx? Not a Doc?

Most recent versions of Word will Save As a PDF, there's no need for other converters.

When using that option click Options on the Save screen, and tick ISO 1900-1.

As I say, it works for me.

• But how do you embed the fonts? I have tried everything and followed every instruction and it will not work.  I spent 7 hours today trying to do it!  I'm using times New Roman in Word but can't pull up anything that matches the pictures and directions.  I tried doing in in Adobe Acrobat and that doesn't let me do anything (free trial).

• In Word...

File, Save as...,

select "Options"

Check the box "Embed TrueType Fonts."

"OK"

"Save."

• TNR is a font that Lulu's Project Wizards can work with, so there's no need to embed it.

• First time poster and Lulu user ... be gentle...

Similar problem. I have successfully uploaded the main part of my book after a few 'Times font' issues (uses Calibri throughout)  but cannot upload it with the Appendix added for the same reason.

The Appendix is in the form of a series of pdfs, created from Excel, where the font used is entirely Arial Narrow.

I have also tried as a test uploading the book with other pdfs (not created by me, not using Times font) inserted in the same place - these were also rejected!

I don't understand why pasting a pdf - not using Times fonts - at the end of my word.docx causes the pdf I subsequently make to be rejected - help appreciated.

• If the problem is just a font embedding error, I would suggest being sure that fonts are embedded in the final PDF you upload. I'm not aware of our converter detecting fonts in error, but if you see an error indicated fonts that need to be embedded, ensuring that they are embedded will be the easiest fix.

• Paul_Lulu wrote:

If the problem is just a font embedding error, I would suggest being sure that fonts are embedded in the final PDF you upload. I'm not aware of our converter detecting fonts in error, but if you see an error indicated fonts that need to be embedded, ensuring that they are embedded will be the easiest fix.

OK - thanks, I think I'm there.  I added a test pdf to the Word doc and then saved ticking thePDF/A compliant box (which increased the file by 40%!) and then successfully uploaded.

Interestingly I successfully uploaded both the main text and a speciment pdf from the Appendix separately but when combining them as one document it was rejected for Times font not embedded - whihc doesn't make sense to me, but hey, ho ...