Library of Congress Control Number

I am so glad to see that GlobalReach is now free!

Lulu has done a good job of explaining how to revise a book already in distribution, which I would like to do before sending it out to professors and reviewers (so far I've just been selling to friends and relatives).

I have questions about getting a Library of Congress Control Number to put on the copyright page. How long would that take? Should I register my copyright before I after ordering the LCCN? Don't I have to send a copy for both copyright registration and the LCCN?

Thank you very much. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

plainsong

Plainsong Bible: Chapter Summaries of the King James Version

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Teacher

plainsong wrote:

I am so glad to see that GlobalReach is now free!

Lulu has done a good job of explaining how to revise a book already in distribution, which I would like to do before sending it out to professors and reviewers (so far I've just been selling to friends and relatives).

I have questions about getting a Library of Congress Control Number to put on the copyright page. How long would that take? Should I register my copyright before I after ordering the LCCN? Don't I have to send a copy for both copyright registration and the LCCN?

Thank you very much. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

plainsong

Plainsong Bible: Chapter Summaries of the King James Version

More information on the LCCN can be found at the links below.

http://authoru.org/authors-how-to-get-your-lccn-library-of-congress-number.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Congress_Control_Number

http://www.loc.gov/publish/pcn/

• Plainsong, you will need to include a copy of your book and information. You will need to submit this to the proper channels before you publish the book, not after.

• Glenn,

Well, I did it. I got the LCCN on your good instructions. Thank you. 

I re-uploaded my manuscript with the number on the copyright page, approved a test copy, and re-distributed. And in the process, I honed the manuscript.

Anyway, I'm beginning to feel like an old hand. I thank you for all your help on various and sundry questions this year.

I was trying to choose both answers as my "accepted solution" to this problem, and I think I wiped yours out when I also chose hers, Sorry.

plainsong

• Geraldine, thank you for your good advice on this question. I was successful.

Cheers,

plainsong

• Glad to hear Smiley Happy

•  I e-mailed The Library of Congress asking them if, as a European self-published author whose books were manufactured and distributed by a US firm (Lulu), I needed to deposit a copy of each of my books to the Library of Congress, and apply for  a LCCN (Library of Congress Control Number) for each.

The senior Information Liaison officer answered : "Your publishing house Lulu will need to apply for a Library of Congress Control Number for your book." 

I conclude from her (automatic ?) answer that the Library of Congress deals with publishers, not authors.

So I now wonder how another self-published author could get an LCCN.

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Teacher

Jean-Paul,

My basic understanding is the self-published author can register as a publisher, which involves a DBA (Doing Business As).

• Thanks. So they set up their own virtual firm and become publishers. I am not going to bother with that.

• Do I need another LCCN for a second edition of a book? I've tried to contact the LOC and ECPN but don't get a reply.

Briefly, the latest version of the book includes two new chapters, and both total about 15,000 words.

The key title words remain the same (as the first edition) with the subtitle slightly changed.

I can get a new LCCN -- it's not a big deal, but I'm concerned that separate listings might be confusing (as someone might reference the first edition inadvertantly and think it is the only one); on the other hand, using the original LCCN might allow for a consistent and single search of both versions, allowing someone to see that there is an updated copy available.

Thanks.

• I am not a lawyer, and this is not advice:

My understanding is that one should submit "The best edition" of one's work with one's application for copyright registration.

If this is the best edition, then you may wish to resubmit with a new application.

It is fairly easy and can be done painlessly online for a $35 fee. You do need to submit an electronic copy of the work.

Realistically, if you were to enter into a suit for infringement, and the contested portion of the work was only in the newest edition, then the worst case would be that you would need to re-register before taking action against the offending party.

• Your answer seems to address copyright registration, which is separate from the Library of Congress Control Number. My question is can I use the same control number on a second edition of the book of the same title?

• marshallgoodman wrote:
    Your answer seems to address copyright registration, which is separate from the Library of Congress Control Number. My question is can I use the same control number on a second edition of the book of the same title?

You can, but whether it's a good idea depends on how different the second edition is from the first.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I would have thought that like ISBNs, all registrations are unique to each book?

• kevinlomas wrote:

I would have thought that like ISBNs, all registrations are unique to each book?

Suppose that you registered your copyright on a book that you had published in hardcover, paperback (Trade), pocket book, and eBook.

Suppose that you sent in the print-ready file and print ready cover from the pocket book.

Suppose that someone copied a page from your hardcover book into their work. Can they do that without infringing your copyright on the registered pocket book, also? Or suppose that they publish the eBook as their own work. Wouldn't that also infringe upon the hardcover, trade paperback, and pocket book?

Etc.

The text is the text. When the USPTO says that they want the best edition, they mean the edition with the fewest errors, best orthography, and in general the "best" version. So one registration can cover every edition, so long as the editions are substantially the same.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Suppose that you registered your copyright on a book that you had published in hardcover, paperback (Trade), pocket book, and eBook.

This is not about copyrights though.

Suppose that you sent in the print-ready file and print ready cover from the pocket book.

Why would any one do that? Each entire item is copyrighted individually and often have differing dates on. You cannot copyright a particular car then expect it to cover all cars.

Suppose that someone copied a page from your hardcover book into their work. Can they do that without infringing your copyright on the registered pocket book, also? Or suppose that they publish the eBook as their own work. Wouldn't that also infringe upon the hardcover, trade paperback, and pocket book?

I have no idea where you are going. The question was not about copyrights and I did say that each version of a book has unique identification.

Etc.

The text is the text. When the USPTO says that they want the best edition, they mean the edition with the fewest errors, best orthography, and in general the "best" version. So one registration can cover every edition, so long as the editions are substantially the same.

That sounds pointless.

• The LCCN is obtained by registering your copyright.

So to ask about one is to ask about the other.

• I used the same LCCN because I discontinued distribution of the first edition. So any search by LCCN will now only return the latest (or current) edition. But the title is the same for both editions.