How do I make my own Preview or sample for ibook on itunes?

How do I make a sample or preview for ibook on itunes?  I did have and make one I thought, but they did not use it. They offered half my book for free reading.  So I retired my book for a while to close it down.  Do I make it a pdf or doc? How is this done?  Thank you.

Comments

• Take the epub lulu made for you (download it), delete the parts you do not want included, save as preview plus book title, update your TOC and upload.

• Thank you for your help. I tried, I must be doing something wrong. Please give more advice. With the email message I got from Lulu. I went to Download and review my file. I could not delete what I did not want. What did I do wrong?
  • I will upload a screen-shot. It shows the option to delete the preview they have and upload another. They do not specify a file type so try uploading a part of a Word document if you do not have an epub preview on hand.

preview epub screen.jpg

I hope this helps!

• Thank you for your reply, I remember seeing this page, but how do I get back? Do I have to redo my project to find this page? How did you find this page?
  • You have two choices:

1. Click on your project name, under MY LULU, and look for the word Preview.

2. Revise the project and follow through to the end. Keep the same project file and cover. When you click Publish you will see the screenshot I uploaded.

• Thank you, I did it! I started at the beginning making another project. The only thing I did different was instead of filling it with my book I filled it with my preview. When it was all done I had a epub in my own document files, then I added it as the preview of my book. Thank you.
  •  

I think the preview only works in lulu. The preview that Barnes & Noble provides is not the same as the one that I created. I have a feeling that they simply use x % of the book as a preview and it may well be that the iBookstore does too.

• Thank you for the heads up. The % of book preview is what I was trying to avoid. I have asked this question to lulu staff and I am hoping their answers as to the epub working is correct for ibook and Barns and Noble. I hope so. I will let you know.
  • If you include a preview file, we include it in the package sent to B&N and the Apple iBookstore.

• Glenn_H said

If you include a preview file, we include it in the package sent to B&N and the Apple iBookstore.

This may well be the case but perhaps these companies have different criteria for previews. As I stated previously the preview on Barnes & Noble is not the preview that I created. It would be interesting to know other authors' experiences of previews of their books.

• As far as I can tell, this issue has never been resolved.  An eBook of mine just became available in iBook and the preview I created for it was completely ignored.  Apple created their own 3-page preview consisting of a blank page, the title page, and the copyright page.  No one will buy any book with a preview like that.