Using Word vs. LaTex

I am planning to write a book on project management and have it published by Lulu. An advisor suggested that I download and learn the free LaTex publishing software. He claims that it will make it easier overall especially when it comes to the publishing side. However, I'd very much not like to learn a new software if I don't have to. This adds another mountain to the already difficult challenge of writing a book in the first place.

I just registered for Lulu and I notice there's some good stuff on formatting for Word which is my choice. So my question is this: Is there really any compelling reason for me to use anything other than Word? I doubt if there will be many footnotes, perhaps some graphics.  But this will largely be a "how-to" tome for the professional project manager not a peer-reviewed journal. So does Word sound sufficient to this task? Is there some set of criteria that would push this over into "must use publishing software" territory? 

Comments

• LaTex is not really the program of choice for publishing with Lulu. I believe that I've only met two people using it over the years I've been here and they've reported difficulties.

If you are interested in doing a lot of publishing then Adobe InDesign is the program that professionals use.

However I see no reason for the project you describe as to why you shouldn't be able to use Word successfully.
    As with any package however careful preparation is essential especially for any images you propose to incorporate.

One major beauty of Lulu is that you can print versions of your book economically as it progresses.

Good luck and come back when you need help.
  • Ok, well, really glad I asked before I went down that road. Saves me a whole boatload of time. A lot of publishing? I should be so lucky. Let's see how I do with one book. :-0

I guess the key thing I need to address in your answer is "careful preparation." Is there anything on this site that would address that, specifically in Word? If your answer is "do a search," that's fine. But if anything specific comes to mind, would love to hear it. Thanks. 

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Teacher

jpas1954 wrote:

Ok, well, really glad I asked before I went down that road. Saves me a whole boatload of time. A lot of publishing? I should be so lucky. Let's see how I do with one book. :-0

I guess the key thing I need to address in your answer is "careful preparation." Is there anything on this site that would address that, specifically in Word? If your answer is "do a search," that's fine. But if anything specific comes to mind, would love to hear it. Thanks. 

If you check the knowledge base there are some guides you can peruse for how to set up your Word doc, format title and copyright pages, as well as many posts in the fora..

Font, leading, justification, and other topics have been hashed out in more than a few posts, and if you post a question there are many knowledgeable people who will reply.

Good luck with the project, and may the Schwartz be with you.

• Alrighty then. Duly kudos-ed and accepted. Man Happy

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

LaTex seems to be some sort of notepad created for the scientific community, and it is possibly that those who took up the use of it, never bothered to try anything else!

In much much older threads here I suggested it was not really suitable for creating pages in for a 'book' file to upload to Lulu, and all hell broke loose from people who appeared only to have opened a Lulu account to sing its praises! Not for creating books in though Smiley Frustrated

I actually recently had a look at InDesign, and like many of their products it only seems to be a 'Cloud' version now. Strange.

• Adobe have now moved all their main stream products including InDesign to their Creative Cloud system.
    Adobe Creative allows users to share one or all of their products on a low cost subscription basis rather than buying a single licence to use them.
    Industry forecasters and commentators suggest that more and more software companies will migrate to the Cloud model in future years. And a recent article also suggests that servers and large server rooms will also migrate to Cloud.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I would imagine the industry will like that because a monthly fee can add up to far more than a one-off purchase.

And what if someone who has a slow connection speed wishes to use Cloud tools?

• Adobe have now moved all their main stream products including InDesign to their Creative Cloud system.
    Adobe Creative allows users to share one or all of their products on a low cost subscription basis rather than buying a single licence to use them.
    Industry forecasters and commentators suggest that more and more software companies will migrate to the Cloud model in future years. And a recent article also suggests that servers and large server rooms will also migrate to Cloud.
  • Echo?

I would not call the equivalent of £562.56 a year, or £214.56 (for just InDesign CC) a year a progressive move.

I can see the reason the software industry would approve. (Until the hackers take notice of the Cloud servers).

It's not really a good idea what with the problems some people have with their ISPs, phone/cable lines, connection speed, etc etc.

In the UK, as one example, the internet is having problems simply due to all the TV companies using it now. It simply cannot cope.

• I there some reason you keep repeating yourself?

• Industry forecasters and commentators suggest that more and more software companies will migrate to the Cloud model in future years. And a recent article also suggests that servers and large server rooms will also migrate to Cloud.
  • In response to the comment "LaTex seems to be some sort of notepad created for the scientific community, and it is possibly that those who took up the use of it, never bothered to try anything else!" it is important to note that several academic journals (including those published by AMS, AmStat, SIAM and a number of others) require (La)TEX. 

TEX was created by Donald Knuth at Stanford in the late 1970s and extended by Leslie Lamport among many, many others. In one of my books I found it to be the only system among all the text processing packages I could find in 2010 that would prepare photo captions in the manner I required for a particularly awkward set of images. 

For those who might be interested:

1) I have never found I could NOT do something I wanted with LaTEX

2) doing it might be quite difficult (e.g., per chapter bibliographies Wiley wanted for my "Nonlinear Parameter Optimization Using R Tools", 2014)

3) There is a heavy learning cost, after which things are REALLY nice.

I have a Latex to epub workflow that now has a 1-line command. However, I'm just now investigating if the epub fulfills all the Lulu requirements -- they do satisfy the checks in the Sigil epub creation system that call W3C checks and others.

JN (actually a real professor)

• I cannot say I have come across anything I cannot do in Word, combined with Paintshop Pro 5.

The only thing that is sure to work in Lulu's to ePub converter is what does work.  Smiley Happy  I have seen many on here say "it's been checked in ... and it works in ... so why does Lulu's tool reject it?!!"

I prepare Word docxs and upload those. They are very simple to create, far simpler than a file for a printed book, and they will work in Lulu's tool, as long as a few very simple rules are followed.