Book cost - I'm confused

On the Caculate Cost at the front page, I calculated a 6" x 9" Trade of 157 to have a manufacturing cost of $6.68.  When I got in to start my book, the Cost at the top of the page where you choose print choices said $9.28 for a Perfect Bound 6" x 9" Trade book of 157 pages.  Is there a discrepancy?

caraway

Comments

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Teacher

caraway wrote:

On the Caculate Cost at the front page, I calculated a 6" x 9" Trade of 157 to have a manufacturing cost of $6.68.  When I got in to start my book, the Cost at the top of the page where you choose print choices said $9.28 for a Perfect Bound 6" x 9" Trade book of 157 pages.  Is there a discrepancy?

caraway

The discrepancy between the front page book cost calculator and the book cost calculator found on your MyLulu page may be due to the options you choose on the different pages.

I calculated a 160 page perfect bound 6x9 soft at $6.75.  Please remember the number of pages has to be divisible by 4 and 157 pages is not.

• That's what I got out front.  With the same choices at the second project page, for 160 pages, the Cost was $9.40.  This is not making sense.  

caraway

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Teacher

caraway wrote:

That's what I got out front.  With the same choices at the second project page, for 160 pages, the Cost was $9.40.  This is not making sense.  

caraway

I'm confused at what settings you used because I just ran through the same scenario a second time and the cost came out to $6.75.

The only thing that makes sense is somehow the page count was higher the second time you did the cost calculation.

• I don't know what happened.  All I did was start a new project.  I chose Perfect Bound, Standard Paper, 6" x 9" Trade and got $9.40 for 160 pages.  ??  I can try again, but I've tried about four times and the Cost is always over $9.

Yes, I tried it again.  This has been b/w the whole time.  It says near cost that there are discounts available.  Is that the discrepancy?

You see, the discrepancy is between the front calculator and the project start where the second page has Cost at the top.  Perhaps if you tried a new project and put those choices in, you might see what I'm seeing.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Create the book. See what it says the price is at the end.

Are you sure the first calculator you are using is not the Retail one?

• DysonLogosDysonLogos Bibliophile

My most recent 6x9 perfectbound book was as follows:

159 Pages, 6" x 9", perfect binding, cream interior paper (60# weight), black and white interior ink, white exterior paper (100# weight), full-color exterior ink

Print
    Price: $20.00
    My Revenue: $10.62
    My Price: $6.73

• DysonLogosDysonLogos Bibliophile

And to follow up, I made a new project using the same interior file (159 pages)

End cost: $6.73 again.

However, if I put the same contents in the book twice, the total price jumps to $10.50

So perhaps you have more pages than you think in your document? Have you checked out your print-ready PDF output to be sure it is still under 160 pages?

• Hello Caraway

The discrepancy is between the manufacturing cost calculator on the publish page and the retail cost calculator on the options page. Since you have chosen to include an ISBN on your book, the calculator is now estimating the minimum retail cost for your book.

As the author, you will still be able to purchase it at the manufacturing cost.

Here is an article that may be helpful: How Retai Prices Are Determined

• I'm doing a book that i don't want /need tomake anything on. Most copies I'll buy and give away. But I will get an ISBN and have the book available at Amazon. So how much above manufacturing cost should the retail price be so that I don't lose anything on the Amazon sales? Manufacturing cost + (what?)

On the "Retail cost calculator", it is not clear what "retail royalty" is.

Thanks!

• You can never lose money on any sales irrespective of where it will be sold.

At this stage you need to be a little patient.

At the completion of the Publishing Wizard you are able to set the selling prices both on Lulu and on Amazon and they can be different.

You can adjust the Amazon selling price so that you make absolutely nothing but both Amazon and Lulu will make their commissions.
  • This is beginning to make sense now.   Because the manufacturing calculator on that same screen comes up under $7 and the "Cost" calculator is always over $9 - lowest retail?  Sounds more like that.   I think I'll just see what happens after I submit the book.   Thanks for all the replies.  My book should calculate as the 6" x 9" Trade posted.  

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I'm doing a book that i don't want /need tomake anything on. Most copies I'll buy and give away. But I will get an ISBN and have the book available at Amazon. So how much above manufacturing cost should the retail price be so that I don't lose anything on the Amazon sales? Manufacturing cost + (what?)

On the "Retail cost calculator", it is not clear what "retail royalty" is.

If you do not add anything as profit (royalty) then you cannot lose anything. It's not us self-publishers that make the books or pay for the books to be made (the latter, unless you buy your own books) so the cost of creation when a book is bought is out of our hands regardless of who buys them, or from where.

Even if you do set a profit you cannot lose out because even if Amazon gives the book away, that's up to them, and you still get your profit because Amazon still have to pay Lulu and then Lulu then pay you.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Even if you do set a profit you cannot lose out because even if Amazon gives the book away, that's up to them, and you still get your profit because Amazon still have to pay Lulu and then Lulu then pay you.

Hi Kevin, thanks for this last bit of information. I too was confused as to the royalty/profit etc as mine said something like £2.00 profit on Lulu and .48p on Amazon and I was a bit confused.

• How strange. I had a notification mail to say there was a posting here at 22-02-2016 04:34 and yet it is not here and there was no message to say Cannot Find.