Google Play

Does lulu publish to Google Play? The knowledge base only tells me about Google Books, something quite different. Apologies if the answer is somewhere obvious, but I am new here.

Comments

• What is Google Play?

• Google Play is Google's online store for Android devices. It's where around 60% of the global mobile device community go for Apps, Music, Video and, increasingly, ebooks.

Google Play accepts ebooks in ePub and pdf formats. I have both in mind.

• The answer is No.
  • Ah, well. Thanks anyway, especially for the quick response.

•  It's where around 60% of the global mobile device community go for Apps, Music, Video and, increasingly, ebooks.

I am not sure that's true, anyway, because all 'Smart' devices can acess the entire internet and buy from where they wish. E-books are not Apps.

• Not 60% of ebooks, no - that's why I used the qualifier "increasingly" with respect to ebooks specifically. But Android devices have around 60% of the mobile market worldwide, and nearly all of them default to Google Play as the online store of choice. Relatively few users ever change their system defaults, but some will escape Play. OTOH Google Play is also visited by Chrome OS users and others who just like it. So I believe my statement to be about as accurate as one can get.

FYI mobile traffic is now approximately the same level as fixed-host traffic, suggesting that around 30% of all 'net users may use Google Play. That is a very crude analysis and may well be an overestimate, but I just checked and its Facebook app for Android, for example, has been downloaded somewhwere between half a billion and a billion times.

Whichever way you cut it, that's a lot of people walking past your shop window.

• Is it not linked to Google Book Search?

What type of files are the books on Play? It does not seem to say, but the books look expensive.

Anyway, as I say. e-books are not apps and I would expect that when people want e-books they look at Amazon's and Apple's sites (not to mention 100s of other well-known name e-book sites.) Apple sell epubs that run on most things, and Amazon sell their own types of files that run on Kindles.

Android have 79% of the market on devices.

• Google Books and Google Play do quite different things and appear to have minimal cross-linking. Google Books is about searching the content of books and then offering click-through links to buy from other channels such as Amazon. Google Play is just another channel like the others, though aimed mainly at Android users. Google Books does not appear to offer direct sales through Google Play in the way that it does through Amazon, though it does have a link to it. For example it offers many sellers of Fifty Shades of Grey but Google Play is not listed. If you go to Google Play it is their No.2 bestselling ebook.

Play accepts epub and pdf formats. Some books are pay-for and some free. Try including "free" in your search, or browse to the Top Charts and check out the Top Free Books chart.

I confess I am puzzled why you expect someone to go scrabbling around the Internet to buy Fifty Shades of Grey just because it is a "book". Google claim Play to be the world's largest ebookstore. They do not give a number for sales, but nearly 2,000 users have bothered to rate Fifty Shades of Grey. That probably equates to a ballpark 2,000,000 buyers who do not meet your expectations. I'd be happy to sell to a small fraction of them.

• As a new Lulu'er you'll soon discover that if you respond to any of Kevins messages he will always come back to have the last word whether he had anything to say or not. Smiley Sad
  • Thanks again. Smiley Happy

• Don't start being rude again Ken. Just because you are not interested, unlike myself who bothered to look in to it and ask more questions Smiley Frustrated

• Google Books and Google Play do quite different things and appear to have minimal cross-linking. Google Books is about searching the content of books and then offering click-through links to buy from other channels such as Amazon. Google Play is just another channel like the others, though aimed mainly at Android users. Google Books does not appear to offer direct sales through Google Play in the way that it does through Amazon, though it does have a link to it. For example it offers many sellers of Fifty Shades of Grey but Google Play is not listed. If you go to Google Play it is their No.2 bestselling ebook.

Perhaps it should be linked. 50 Shades is still the top seller?!

Play accepts epub and pdf formats. Some books are pay-for and some free. Try including "free" in your search, or browse to the Top Charts and check out the Top Free Books chart.

All the same, the few I looked at cost more than the printed versions.

I confess I am puzzled why you expect someone to go scrabbling around the Internet to buy Fifty Shades of Grey just because it is a "book".

Because they do? Out of habit? Amazon is a world-wide household name, whereas most users of Smart Phones perhaps have no idea what OS it's working on, because I doubt they care. As I have said, a book is not an App and people can shop around for where what they want and where is the cheapest. One of my sons still likes printed books, even though he does have a Samsung Smart Phone. Most people I know who buy e-books use a Kindle. Anyhow, you can buy 50 Shades as a printed book from charity shops for 20p, They have 100s of it Smiley Happy

Google claim Play to be the world's largest ebookstore.

Strange that the only two who replied to you have never heard of it. I have never seen it advertised, my friends who have Smart Phones have never mentioned it. Possibly it's only marketed in the USA? I would have expected Amazon to the the largest.

They do not give a number for sales, but nearly 2,000 users have bothered to rate Fifty Shades of Grey. That probably equates to a ballpark 2,000,000 buyers who do not meet your expectations. I'd be happy to sell to a small fraction of them.

Figures are often to be taken with a pinch of salt. 50 Shades (your example) in total has sold 5.5 million books over all formats, and 2,000,000 have rated it on just one site? Hrmmm.

• To correct two misreadings of what I said:

"50 Shades is still the top seller?!" No, I said it was the No.2

"2,000,000 have rated it on just one site?" No, I said that almost 2,000 had,

And to answer your other question, "Possibly it's only marketed in the USA?" Wow! Where have you been the last ten years? Google is a global brand. They dominate most strongly in Eastern markets such as China and India, where English is very widely spoken.

Only one other thing is worth comment. The two of you had never noticed Google Play before. Well, you both have Teacher status on a publishing services website which does not publish there. You do not personally use Android. In short, your expertise and attention focus have been elsewhere. Your early remarks show that your instinct was to confuse it with Google Books, which you had heard of. It's all very natural and understandable, there is no implied criticism in my remarks. I mention it only because it illustrates why I am hoping that anybody reading this thread will wake up, smell the coffee and badger the Lulu developers into opening a new sales channel to the "biggest ebookstore in the world".

• Please Do Not group me in with Kevin and certainly not with anything he may write here.

The "Teacher" flag is only indicative of the number of the posts made on the Forum over the last two or three years. It does not indicate that we are cleverer or more stupid than anyone else posting on the Forum. In my opinion they are fairly daft titles.

If you read my original post you will see that I acknowledged that I did not know what Google Play was and that I didn't confuse it with anything.

I always try to answer questions with short succinct relevant answers and if I don't know then I normally try and avoid answering.
  • Ken, my apologies for the mix-up on my part, your posts have been exemplary.

The "Teacher" bit is odd, I agree. Any newbie could be caught out by that one, it lends an air of joint authority which I fell for. Thank you for clarifying.

• To correct two misreadings of what I said:

"50 Shades is still the top seller?!" No, I said it was the No.2

"2,000,000 have rated it on just one site?" No, I said that almost 2,000 had,

You are right, I meant to say your estimate of 2,000,000 purchasing it from that site alone, which I doubt due to the total number of sales across all medias.

And to answer your other question, "Possibly it's only marketed in the USA?" Wow! Where have you been the last ten years? Google is a global brand. They dominate most strongly in Eastern markets such as China and India, where English is very widely spoken.

Yes, I am well aware of Google, but we are discussing Google Play.

Only one other thing is worth comment. The two of you had never noticed Google Play before. Well, you both have Teacher status on a publishing services website which does not publish there. You do not personally use Android. In short, your expertise and attention focus have been elsewhere.

I read and see a great deal about such things, and have not heard of Google Play, sorry. I may not use Android but I know many who do and I know it's worried (along with Apple) MS so much they have just bought out Nokia.

Your early remarks show that your instinct was to confuse it with Google Books, which you had heard of.

No, I asked if they are linked. There was no confusion.

It's all very natural and understandable, there is no implied criticism in my remarks. I mention it only because it illustrates why I am hoping that anybody reading this thread will wake up, smell the coffee and badger the Lulu developers into opening a new sales channel to the "biggest ebookstore in the world".

I am sure Lulu will if they see the need, but it's also up to Google to allow them to, but it's not the biggest ebookstore in the world.

However there's no harm at all in being on as many online sales sites as possible, but they do have to be market researched first and I hope those reading this thread are doing just that.  Smiley Wink

• Indeed, the names the system here applies to us are meaningless, and they way they are gained can be open to misuse.

And take no notice of Ken, who did in fact say he had not heard of Google Play also Smiley Very Happy

He blows hot and cold. Only last week he was being so complimentary to me I was expecting a proposal of marriage Smiley Surprised

• For those who would like to know a lttle more about publishing on Google Play, here are a couple of earlier threads:

How to Add a Description to a Book on Google Play

Allow EBook Distrubitation to Kindle and Google Play Books

• You're still flogging a dead horse.

• I said twelve months not twelve seconds. Are you on speed or something?

(for the benefit of others, this is a cross-posted conversation not worth cross-linking)

• To my knowledge it does. I published with lulu and my books are on google books and on google play.