Who Bought My Book?

Is it possible to see exactly who purchased my book?  Thank you!

Comments

• I'm sure it's possible through highly illegal and esoteric ways. But realistically? No. Though I'm not sure why.
  • But the creators of anything have no idea who buys their goods via retail outlets, and I doubt they care.

• I would like to see this option be available.  It would help to know who is purchasing, where they are located and possibly add them to a mailing list and/or send them a personalized thank you.  Lots of marketing options if we could get this data.  I mean they're buying our product so why would they mind being contacted?  And if they did then they can unsubscribe or ask to be removed ... I don't get it.

• kevinlomas wrote:

But the creators of anything have no idea who buys their goods via retail outlets, and I doubt they care.

Actually, they do care since it helps them to pinpoint markets and there are numerous ways they can find out. For instance, if you send in a warranty...

• Gosh, that's a late reply to my posting of ‎15-11-2012 12:04 Ron!

• I would like to see this option be available.  It would help to know who is purchasing, where they are located and possibly add them to a mailing list and/or send them a personalized thank you.  Lots of marketing options if we could get this data.  I mean they're buying our product so why would they mind being contacted?  And if they did then they can unsubscribe or ask to be removed ... I don't get it.

It would be very difficult to gather all the information due to the number of retail outlets involved, all of which keep their details to themselves because it is very valuable. Amazon will not give such details to Lulu and Lulu will not give them to you. Some do sell such marketing details though. It's one of the ways Google and Facebook make some of their money by selling tracking cookie data. Data Protection laws also make them keep some details to themselves, though.

It is a lot easier if you do Direct Marketing, however. Only you buy your own books and then sell them yourself, but if you sell them to shops they will not tell you who bought them, in fact few bricks and mortar stores even ask the name and address of a buyer.

As an example of Direct Marketing, and note that this was pre-internet, a friend of mine sold audio tapes with his own content on. He would spend £15,000 a year (and this was 25 years ago) on a full page advert in a national newspaper for just one of his products. The sales from that advert did not pay for the advert, but when he mailed out the product he included a catalogue of his other products, resulting in more sales, and so on. He also had the address of the buyers and once a month for a few months he would mail them his catalogue again, and also mail them about anything new. He would keep a note of of those who stopped buying and then sold those names and addresses to other sellers of similar products. He charged around 50 pence per name in batches of 500.

So in a nutshell, it is very hard to find out who buys what unless you personally sell it to them.