Issues with binding quality

I am becoming increasingly frustrated by the quality control of hardcover book binding received from Lulu in the UK. I have been consistantly printing books for nearly a decade and unfortunately the quality has deteriorated recently. I have most recently received four seperate books and on each occasion the binding has been very poor, not square, not glued correctly, with inconsistent margins etc. The books should never have left the factory. This is now becoming a significant issue as virtually 100% of books first received have to be rejected as a result. In the early days this was never a problem with Lulu. I cannot put these books into the general market if my purchasers always receive this quality of product. The books appear to come from Eastbourne - I assume from Antony Rowe? Can someone advise why this is happening please and what is being done to address this quality problem? Thank you

Comments

• Well nothing can be done here on the Forum as it just User-2-User.

The correct (and only) way is to contact Support.

• Thank you for your prompt response. I do contact support every time I receive a defective order - and to be fair they are dealt with, but there does not appear to be a more general route to address QA issues which are not order specific - is this correct - if not please advise email address etc.?
  • Support is the only avenue.
    You could of course send a traditional letter by snail mail to Lulu's office in North Carolina.
  • Ken is right about support, you should contact them EVERY time if quality is poor. I have ordered a few hardcovers and, as far as I am aware (almost certain) they are not produced in the UK but in France. I have never had binding problems with them at all but if I had, support would be my first port of call. Look out for the times you can contact Live Chat, you will find that on the help page. I have had problems sorted out by them several times in the past, their service is prompt and professional. Good luck.

James

www.jamesdenhambooks.com

• Most of my books now come to me from the French printers as I live in Spain.

i've just collected my latest purchase, a dust cover hardback, from the post office and the quality is excellent as it normally is.

• Hello Luceyn

I am sorry to hear that your latest order was not produced to our expected standards. Please contact our support team so that we can address the issue for you. By reporting issues through the support system, we can track quality trends and directly address them with the print vendors.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

• I have received a new book this morning and yes - unfortunately again - the hardcover binding is defective, the covers twisted and the binding off square ! This will now be the fifth occasion, over time, I have had binding problems. There is definitely something wrong. Thank you for your prompt responses and addressing replacement books through the order support process. I will notify you again about this defective book in the normal way.

• Where printed?
    Dust cover or case wrap?
  • Hi Ken

Sorry but did not know how else to contact you

Some time ago you recommended Faith Carrol to me, she started work on my book but since I have not been able to contact her. Are you still in contact with her?

• The new book received today 10th November was case wrapped and the non-delivery address is:- 48-50 Birch Close, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN23 6PE UK - the same as previously. This is the adddress of CPI Antony Rowe - as previously stated (above).

• The new book received today 10th November was case wrapped and the non-delivery address is:- 48-50 Birch Close, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN23 6PE UK - the same as previously. This is the adddress of CPI Antony Rowe - as previously stated (above).
  • WHY DID LULU START PUTTING HARDBOARD IN THE BINDING OF THE CASEBOUND BOOKS?  THEY NO LONGER LIE OPEN, THE PAGES SEPARATE FROM THE BOARDS, AND THE BOOK BREAKS ON READING.

PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW WE WHO PUBLISH WITH LULU CAN GET OUT BOOKS PRODUCED WITH THE OLD SOFT SPINE!!!

IF THIS IS NOT CORRECTED, I WILL PULL ALL MY HARDBACK BOOKS FROM LULU AND USE IT ONLY FOR PAPER.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE? WHY HAVE YOU CHANGED THE CASEBOUND BOOKS TO A FORMATTHAT IS HOSTILE TO THE READER?

AND WILL YOU ACTUALLY REPLY TO ME?  If you need it (which you in theory don't) here is my email: [email protected]

PLEASE CONTACT ME AND EXPLAIN HOW I CAN GET CASE BOUND BOOKS OF THE PREVIOUS FORMAT.

• I contacted the forum concerning poor binding quality and inadequate QA checks prior to despatch in 2012. Here I am again in January 2015 raising exactly the same problem - it appears that Lulu is still not able to address this issue. Interestingly I never have these problems when I use Albelli. I even get a note with my book identifying who checked it before despatch - good tracking. My most recent book in question was ordered as a belated Christmas present on 1st January. It is now nearly a month later and I still do not have a book I can use. I have already notified Lulu about the late delivery and on the 20th January of the defective binding in the book I received; I have also sent photographs showing the defects twice and I still have not received any response. Please advise why Lulu have not addressed this ongoing issue and promptly ordered a replacement - this request is dated 28th January. I do not generally have these problems with other POD firms - a response is normally received and actions taken by return - this is good business practice; why is this taking so long please??

regards