Selling wholesale ?

I am ready to publish the softcover edition of my previously published E-Book 'Play Hive Like a Champion'

The manufacturer of the game (about which this book is written) would like to sell my book. I am also hoping that I might be able to sell through some retail game stores.

From what I understand, these retailers expect to get a 50% discount off the retail price. If my cost to produce is $9.70 and I set a retail price at $21.95, can I sell the book (with a direct access link) at a price of $10.97. Or does Lulu require a minimum mark up?

Comments

• You can sell at any price you like.

• Do I need one or two ISBNs if I want to sell the same book on Lulu for wholesalers to buy and for retail buyers at two different prices, of course?
  • No, because it is the same book no matter where it's sold.

You cannot in fact set two prices for the same book, unless you do duplicate it as another Project, but that would need another ISBN, but it would be hard to get because you would have to set it at Direct and only give wholesalers that address. I am not sure you can re-set General to Direct to get an ISBN for the duplicate project but you can try.

I have to add that I doubt wholesalers woold be interested in even the Cost price on Lulu, or the 'bulk discounts' on offer, but there's no harm in trying.

• Thanks for that input.

The scenario I envision, but don't know if it's doable, is to sell the book on Lulu at the retail price but also permit small businesses and museums the ability to buy at a reduced wholesale price and resell at their own retail price for a profit to that organization. 

Whether via ISBN the Amazons and brick-and-mortars of the world can sell it is secondary.

Is this feasible?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

The scenario I envision, but don't know if it's doable, is to sell the book on Lulu at the retail price but also permit small businesses and museums the ability to buy at a reduced wholesale price and resell at their own retail price for a profit to that organization. 

It is, yes, in the manner I explained. As two identical Projects (you can even use the PR PDFs created by the Wizard for the 1st Project, including the cover PDF complete with ISBN even though you do not assign an ISBN to the 2nd Project).

Whether via ISBN the Amazons and brick-and-mortars of the world can sell it is secondary.

It's possibly a little more complex than that. Most places that wish to buy trade cost will use a known ISBN to order then the same ISBN to re-order. That's the idea behind ISBNs. Often they have specific wholesale places to order from, also, such as Ingrams (who Lulu register us with I think). So basically if you have one Project with an ISBN set at General then that will be distributed and listed with wholesalers. The only real way around that is to have the 1st Project also set at Direct with no ISBN and tell non-trade buyers to buy from there, but cutting out the free ISBN and Dist that will allow anyone to buy it from many sites on the web.

The 2nd Project, the one you want to have at a reduced cost, will have to be set at Direct and without an ISBN in the book and on the back cover at all, or they will use that to re-order, which will not be easy if it's not in distribution!

For the 2nd cheaper set Project you will have to have on the Copyright Page and on the back cover (using the Advanced Cover Designer) the direct URL they can re-order from. ("Further copies available from WWW/**************")

Is this feasible?

The only problem is, POD is not at all cheap even at Cost and you should never add an unrealistic retail price to Cost to make it look as if retailers can get a big discount, they are not stupid.

What I can suggest is do as most publishers do. They have agents (which could be you for your own books) who go around getting orders. Then you would have to buy the books at Cost, even when set at General at Lulu, and you deliver the books at some reduced price.

• Thanks again Kevin!

• Back to this topic since I'm getting closer to publishing.

Do these points appear to be accurate from what I've gathered so far?

1. A Lulu project is sold either directly at a retail price or to distributors at a wholesale price, but not both.

2. In order for a Lulu project (book) to be sold to distributors at a wholesale price, you need (or really should have) an ISBN.

Now my  follow-up questions:

1. If I want to sell both to distributors and the general public, I would need a project with ISBN for distribution and another project without ISBN for 'retail' sale on Lulu. But doesn't an ISBN/distributor book require that the content (which would be identical) NOT be available anywhere else?

2. During a project, how do you put your retail selling price on the cover since that's done before you get to the price calculator?

Thank you!

Paul

Back to this topic since I'm getting closer to publishing.

Do these points appear to be accurate from what I've gathered so far?

1. A Lulu project is sold either directly at a retail price

Yes, but you can create Direct Projects which means people can buy them from your Spotlight at a reduced price as long as you tell them the page address. Usually no ISBN is used. The price above Cost is what you set of course.

or to distributors at a wholesale price,

Sort of. Do not forget that this is POD and no book is made until one is ordered. Using a free Lulu ISBN Lulu will list them with many places both trade and retail. Retailers can set any price they want. But Lulu do that when you use a Lulu ISBN.

but not both.

You can do both with an ISBN because people can also buy direct from your Spotlight.

2. In order for a Lulu project (book) to be sold to distributors at a wholesale price, you need (or really should have) an ISBN.

Yes, but they are not sold to them but listed with them. No stock is distributed or held.

Now my  follow-up questions:

1. If I want to sell both to distributors and the general public,

But you will be doing using a Lulu ISBN. You book will also be listed on at least Amazon.

I would need a project with ISBN for distribution and another project without ISBN for 'retail' sale on Lulu.

No.

But doesn't an ISBN/distributor book require that the content (which would be identical) NOT be available anywhere else?

No. Just that a book's ISBN is 'locked' to the publisher, in this case Lulu bought and registered them, so they are Lulu's and cannot be used with any other publisher. But there's nothing stopping you using other publishers and their ISBNs also.

2. During a project, how do you put your retail selling price on the cover since that's done before you get to the price calculator?

You don't. There's no need to.

• So I can have the same book (cover, content) as one Lulu project with an ISBN number that becomes available to distributors if they wish to buy it, and the same book (cover, content but not ISBN) as a second Lulu direct project with no ISBN number that is sold on the Lulu site to anyone?

So I can have the same book (cover, content) as one Lulu project with an ISBN number that becomes available to distributors if they wish to buy it,

Or just to advertise it for sale. Lulu is the distributor in effect.

and the same book (cover, content but not ISBN) as a second Lulu direct project with no ISBN number that is sold on the Lulu site to anyone?

Yes, if you wish to.