Why are we so limited on sizing for hardcover book??

I want to make a good quality coffee table book about a recent series of photos I worked on. I have no idea how to go about making a book or publishing because all I can find online to make is just cheap photo books.

Here at Lulu, why are we limited for hardcover books to only two sizes? Why can we make a black and white book with a dust jacket, but not color? The services look great here, but I wanted to make a color book, about 12" x 9" landscape orientation, with a dust jacket.

I'm guessing Lulu has a stock of books and that's how they can make things so cheap. So does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get a good quality book made and get it published? Is this all through a publishing company?

Thank you very much! Smiley Happy

Comments

• :shock:

Uh, Julian, you must have a basic misunderstanding, or you are trying to fool us. I assume it's the former, just for the sake of my mental health. 8)

Lulu is a "Print On Demand" company. If we strip all the nice decorations, basically YOU are the publisher and Lulu is your printer and shop.

"On Demand" means there is no stock of books. A book will be printed when it's ordered. There are special printing machines for those print runs that produce one or few copies and not thousands - and those machines can handle a limited number of formats and combinations.

Now think about it.
    Cheers,
    Valerie
  • Thanks Valerie, what you said perfectly fills in the gap of what I didn't understand. Like I said I have no idea how any of this works as I am just dipping my toes into the whole process of making a book.

Thank you!
  • It is all about what the printer can do.  If unhappy go to another online book publishing co.  There are plenty and they offer more choices in what size range you may want.  Having to decide whether I want to pay $80 for a coffee table book or go another route, I think my choice is obvious.  Some of the comments here are rather insensitive to newbies and I must confess when people are looking for answers they don't need to be ridiculed but rather treated with respect.  We are all learning the tradeSmiley Happy

julianwalter wrote:
    I want to make a good quality coffee table book about a recent series of photos I worked on. I have no idea how to go about making a book or publishing because all I can find online to make is just cheap photo books.

Here at Lulu, why are we limited for hardcover books to only two sizes? Why can we make a black and white book with a dust jacket, but not color? The services look great here, but I wanted to make a color book, about 12" x 9" landscape orientation, with a dust jacket.

I'm guessing Lulu has a stock of books and that's how they can make things so cheap. So does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get a good quality book made and get it published? Is this all through a publishing company?

Thank you very much! Smiley Happy

• Another aspect of format choices, even beyond the limitations of what the printing presses will print, is the question of demand.

If ten thousand people want (or can design their project around) a 12" x 9" book, and one person in a million wants to design a book for 14 x 7" (or any other random set of dimensions), then chances are that maintaining support for 14 x 7 printing will simply not be cost effective.

I would assume that Lulu maintains choices which it can print effectively, efficiently, and well, ignoring formats that would be of poor quality or that would cost too much to print... No one is going to pay a printing cost of $340/copy just to have a 37" x 3" format, right?