Before completing your order, please take a moment to review information about potential delivery delays.

Due to closures, travel restrictions, and prioritization of vital services, some parcel deliveries may experience delays. Please check with your carrier of choice to verify your location can receive deliveries. In some instances, some deliveries may no longer be possible.
Read More.

How many pages? Divisible by 4? Inside covers?

Howdy folks

So, My book is just about done. I've read that your number of pages should be divisible by 4, so there's no blank pages in the end. I have 36 pages, so I should be OK right? I read somewhere that you should add an extra blank page at the end, but why if you have the right number of pages?

I'm making a full color book where each page has a parchment colored background, so I think having a plain blank page at the back of the book would look kind of out of place. I know there's a lot of books out there that do this, but for the kind of book I'm making (colorful rulebook for a game) it's just going to seem too out of place. So I just want to make sure I can have all full color pages, cover to cover.

Also, for a paperback book, is there any way to have artwork, etc, on the inside front & back covers, or will that just be plain white no matter what?

Comments

• Divisble by 4 only applies to books in distribution.
    Books in distribution must have a blank page aas the last page - solution add 4 pages, 2 blank at the front and 2 blank at the end.
    There can never be any content on the inside of the covers.

• Well my ultimate goal is to have the book in distribution, but I don't know if I like the idea of being forced to have blank pages in it.. why is it like that?

But, if I don't have it in distribution, and just sell the book myself, I won't need blank pages?

I guess it would be OK for a novel, or a textbook, but it just seems like it would be too out of place for a full color book like I'm doing. it would be like buying a magazine, and the first and last pages are just blank

• I would put all blank pages in the back, instead of two in the front. Hardcovers are different, as they often have a blank page in the beginning and the end, as buffers between the contents and the cover. Paperbacks don't usually have blank pages in the beginning.

I'd just like to point out also that a page with nothing but a parchment background with no text might just count as a "blank" page. Not sure, though.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    It's just the way it is, and what does it matter? And they have to be completely blank or they are not blank :-)
  • HI, I keep getting probs with my printed documents - ie the first page is never where it should be when printed; and LULU doesnt let me ' look into ' the document to show how it lays out.

I get my spreads going wrong, as the first page is a single page; I have tried a blank first page - but the printed copy just ignored this and printed text there anyway - could this be to do because I havent included blank pages? ( I work on the original in Indesign BTW, as some of you know, it automatically strts with a single page,...

Any help much appreciated

Sofie

• Before you post, look at the date of the last posting, but stop asking questions in existing posts, post your own NEW one.
  • it matters very very much.

The reason I have designed my own book is to keep control over every square millimeter of that design.  And my design conceptually requires that there be no blank space anywhere.

Think of it this way:  Maurice Sendak designed the inside cover art for Where The Wild Things Are to serve a very important purpose: those fields of cross-hatched colored blobs form a sort of psychological gateway to the book inside, which is all about a child's fantasy world.  The colored endpapers act as a screen, telling the reader that, before they have read a single word, they have already entered the fantastical landscape of the book.

Of course many books may not need this, and perhaps your glib response was only referring to the books that contain straight text.  But an artistically designed book is a beautiful thing, and such books should be possible using Lulu's system.  Other companies offer this feature; it's not a limitation of the presses, but only of the company policy.

Did you not read the post above yours? Even that last one was posted 4 years ago, so why are you posting in here?

it matters very very much.

What does?

The reason I have designed my own book is to keep control over every square millimeter of that design.  And my design conceptually requires that there be no blank space anywhere.

Unfortunately there really are traditions in publishing, but not only that, the method of production insists on certain things also. Blank pages are to assist with the binding process and will often be added even if not in your file. It does differ between types of binding though if those blanks are required.

Think of it this way:  Maurice Sendak designed the inside cover art for Where The Wild Things Are to serve a very important purpose: those fields of cross-hatched colored blobs form a sort of psychological gateway to the book inside, which is all about a child's fantasy world.  The colored endpapers act as a screen, telling the reader that, before they have read a single word, they have already entered the fantastical landscape of the book.

Well, POD machines do not print on the inside covers, it's as simple as that. And even if they did it would mean Lulu totally redesigning the Cover Wizard software to allow for that, and that's a mammoth task. Paperbacks can be printed on the first facing right hand page though.

Of course many books may not need this, and perhaps your glib response was only referring to the books that contain straight text.

Who are you replying to? Many people have posted in this very old thread, some of who no longer use Lulu, but it's nothing to do what's in the book, it's how POD manufactures them, that's made plain in the above postings, and many more New Messages since this thread died.

But an artistically designed book is a beautiful thing,

Indeed, but I own 100 of books, some over 100 years old, and very few of them are printed on the inside cover, it does not detract from the books at all.

and such books should be possible using Lulu's system.

It's not Lulu's system, Lulu do not make the machines and do not even print the books.

Other companies offer this feature; it's not a limitation of the presses,

Who? Amongst the companies who print for Lulu are the massive Createspace (Amazon) and via the huge Ingram. The POD system is a very limiting system, do not forget that they are able to create from 1 book, you can have 1000s printed somewhere if you like, but they will not use POD book machines, and then you can perhaps have the inside covers printed ...

but only of the company policy.

It's not.

• Control over creative projects is what matters very much.

Lulu offers a perfect-bound letter-sized book option.  This is really a magazine format.  And there are simply no magazines out there that leave the insides of the covers blank.

Even old traditional books had decorative endpapers.

And in answer to your question regarding who does offer printing on the insides of the covers:  Blurb.  Same technology, same HP Indigo press.

Marbling is not printed, the paper is that colour created in floatbaths, if other places do it then use those, but how do you know what machines the companies Lulu uses have? How do you know what other companies use? Many of them use Minolta machines. Even Xerox ones. I doubt anyone uses an HP Indigo to bind books on, they are just printers, and some are off-set litho high-volume machines.

Lulu did once offer a magazine Wizard, but they stopped some options due to lack of interest. It may be introduced again though.

If Lulu does not offer what you want then why are you here?

• I know because I asked.  So either Lulu lied to me, or you're wrong, take your pick.

Obviously I know how they used to make endpaper, and I am dazzled at how completely you miss the point: it's nice to have design elements inside the covers.

I'm here because it's always good to look for better deals than what I've already got.  Still looking.

Your signature tagline looks like it says, "keep it unread".  Ok.  Can do.

I know because I asked.  So either Lulu lied to me, or you're wrong, take your pick.

Lulu use many printing companies around the world and I doubt those companies all use the same machines, machines that have to be Book On Demand machines which are not exactly the same as Print On Demand ones.

Obviously I know how they used to make endpaper,

They often still do make it that way.

and I am dazzled at how completely you miss the point: it's nice to have design elements inside the covers.

I did not miss the point at all, can you not read? You were moaning that it cannot be done at Lulu.

I'm here because it's always good to look for better deals than what I've already got.  Still looking.

Well instead of posting in a very old thread about what can be done at Lulu or not, why did you not make a post in Suggestions?

Your signature tagline looks like it says, "keep it unread".  Ok.  Can do.

Buy some glasses, or are you just being spiteful?

Have a nice day.