In order to offer your book on sites other than Lulu, you will need an ISBN and a Distribution package. Lulu offers free ISBNs in the Lulu Publishing Wizard. Once you complete the publication process, available distribution packages can be selected from the Manage Distribution button in your Project List. These distribution packages offer different ways to get your book out to the public. This tutorial will help you get your book ready for publishing on Lulu and make your book distribution-ready. When publishing your book, click the blue Help button in the upper right corner of the page or the View instructions and info about this step link at the top of each step for more information.
Decide on your Distribution and book options:
Choose a distribution package based on the available size and binding types as listed on the Distribution Eligibility Chart.
If you prefer, Lulu can purchase an ISBN specifically for your use (USA residents only). For more information about this service, visit the Your ISBN Services Page.
Start the Publishing Process:
- Click on the 'Publish' Tab. Click the 'Self-Publish a...' button and select Paperback books or Hardcover books.
- On the 'Start a New Project' page, enter a title and author name for your book. The author and title must use a Latin character set. Select the 'Make it public and assign an ISBN to your title to sell your book in online bookstores like Amazon as well as the Lulu Marketplace' option. Click the 'Save & Continue' button.
- Select the size and binding options that you decided on in the first step. Greyed out options are not available based on previous choices and unavailability for Distribution. Click the 'Save & Continue' button to move on to the next step.
- If you want a Lulu ISBN, click on the 'Get a free ISBN from Lulu.com' option. If you have an ISBN you purchased, click on the 'Add an ISBN you already own' option and fill in your ISBN information. Click 'Save & Continue'. Where can I get my own ISBN?
- A page with information about what to do with your ISBN and a download-able barcode for one-piece covers will display. Click 'Save & Continue'.
Put your manuscript together:
Upload your manuscript:
- Now you are going to upload the file from step 3. After uploading the file click 'Make Print-ready File'. If you upload a Word document, it will be converted into a PDF/print-ready file. If you upload a PDF we will do a basic check to make sure it is the correct size and number of pages.
- Click the 'Download & Review' button to see that your document was converted properly and that it looks the way it should. Click the 'Save & Continue' button to move on to the cover creator step.
Create your cover:
- Follow the 'Requirements for all book covers' section of the Mandatory Requirements for Distribution and the Cover Formatting. If you are making a "one-piece cover" you will need to put a barcode on your cover, see Will Lulu add a barcode to my cover? .
- If you created images for your front and back cover separately, upload your images and click the 'Make Print-Ready Cover' button, then click 'Save & Continue'. If you created a one-piece cover, click the 'One-Piece Cover (advanced)' button, upload your cover there, and click the 'Save & Continue' button.
Finish the Publishing Process:
- This step is for describing your book to the public. The book description must use a Latin character set. Click 'Save & Continue'.
- Pricing for distribution requires pricing for the retail markets. Click 'Review Project'. Retail price and creator revenue calculator
- In the 'Review Your Project' step, make sure to look over everything to verify it looks the way you want it to. If anything needs revising, click the 'Change' button in that section. Click 'Save & Finish' to publish your book.
- Congratulations! You are a published author! On this page you are given options for what to do now that you are finished publishing your book. Click the 'View My Projects' button.
Purchase a Distribution Package:
- On the My Projects page, click the 'Purchase a distribution package.' link next to your newly published book. Review the information on the different Distribution packages and then click the 'Buy Now' button for the package you want.
- On the Distribution Book Requirements page, read over the Requirements and click the 'Accept requirements and continue' button. On the License Agreement page read over the License and click the 'Accept agreement and continue' button.
- Purchase your distribution service.
Purchase and approve a proof copy:
- Purchase a proof copy of your book.
- Review your proof copy carefully for errors.
- Approve or deny the book for Distribution.
- Once approved, it will appear in the appropriate distribution channels within 6-8 weeks.
See Also: How does the distribution process work?