Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Author
ryannetta

How to properly create an epub

On March 26th 2012, I received an email that said the following:

"Before we can submit your content to ebook distribution channels, our quality assurance process has identified a few more guidelines your ebook should meet.

Our technical review team noted:
Please add your middle initial from your cover to your author metadata. Your title should be at the very first line of your MS Word document, styled as Heading 1. This prevents creating an inaccurately named link in your NCX."

I sincerely appreciate your staff letting me know that there was a problem immediately before distribution, but there's a few issues on my side that prevents me from making the aforementioned changes:

1) What's metadata?
2) Why does everyone assume I write in MS Word? (I don't)
3) I know nothing about the creation of the epub format since there's no 'creation software' out there that I know of to walk me through the process and create the proper file needed.

I've downloaded the eBook Creator Guide from lulu.com as your email suggested and that just confused me even more.

So I've come to ask... Is there an epub creation app that I can drop my document into and add whatever necessary information you require? Something that's not Microsoft-centric. Unix (Solaris 11), Linux (all flavors), OSX... I can do them all, just not Windows (I don't allow it in my home).

Thanks for your assistance!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Re: How to properly create an epub

[ Edited ]
Yes, you can avoid Windows & Word by working at the HTML & text level. See my tutorial for some further information.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/lionel-k-anderson-msc/epubs-for-lulu-a-idiots-guide-to-creating-epubs/ebook...
Please use plain text.
Community Support
ErinW

Hi ryannetta,

I'll answer your questions in the order you provided them.

1. Metadata is the who, what, when, and where of your eBook. Items such as your title, author name(s), description, etc. are all types of metadata and are what most retailers use to appropriately list and categorize your content. Inconsistent metadata is also one of the main reasons eBooks get rejected for distribution. It is crucial you provide consistent information in the metadata and description entered using the eBook wizard that matches any details proided in your book or on your cover.

All eBooks submitted for retail distribution must meet the guidelines, here:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/eBook-Retail-Distribution-Guidelines/ta-p/33340

2. We offer two types of eBooks on Lulu - PDF and ePub. If you want to create an ePub eBook, you can either upload an existing ePub file, or you can use our Word-to-ePub tool (if you do not wish to purchase one of our paid ePub conversion services). This is why we provide authors with the eBook Creator Guide; to help them format their Word document for conversion to ePub using our tool.

3. If you have uploaded your own ePub file that you created, we cannot help you with correcting the formatting; that will depend on whatever software you used to create the ePub. We can only support and provide instructions for authors who are using our Word-to-ePub tool, or who purchase a paid ePub conversion service.

Here is a list of free tools and resources to help you convert files to ePub format:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/Can-I-convert-my-manuscript-to-ePub-on-my-own...

I hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Author
ryannetta

Thanks for the quick reply. I was looking through your EPUBS for Lulu book you offer and decided to buy the PDF. $3.40 isn't a bad price at all ^^

I purchased it, but am still waiting to receive it. It's been a few hours now. (What takes Lulu so long to deliver a PDF?)

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

You can download it immediately. Go to your My Lulu, My Downloads.

If you have difficulties then PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy directly.
Please use plain text.
Author
ryannetta

"You can download it immediately. Go to your My Lulu, My Downloads."

I did that and go this message: There are no eBook downloads available.

I attempted to create a revision of my ebook to make changes to it and Lulu's page became unresponsive and never loaded. Now, It will not allow me access to that revision nor do I have access to delete it and start again.

Please forgive me, Lulu's book management page is a bit frustrating to me. It's cryptic options are not straightforward and I can't make heads nor tails of what I can and cannot do. 

I'd love to delete the ebook option, but apparently I don't have that option.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Ryan, You can download it direct from here.

Please use plain text.
Author
ryannetta

Downloaded it, thanks. There's still nothing in my "My Downloads" area. And the file you linked is asking for a password. I didn't get an email from Lulu yet with the password nor a link to download it for myself.

What am I doing wrong? This many things going wrong all at once is beyond unnatural. It has to be me.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Read your PM Private Message
Please use plain text.
Author
LittleOne

How do I make an E book? Everything is perfect so far problem is...I can't seem to put it into an E book yet I have an ISBN number /General can see and buy my boodo?k... what to 

Please use plain text.