Author
Accepted Solution

ISBN global distribution problem -book disappearing from listings - wrong ISBN listed

Book - Lulu’s ISBN global distribution problem

Book is disappearing from Amazon US listings and others listings (over 15 places in 6 countries) – a few still listed now have wrong ISBN number. Barns & Noble still has book listed with the correct ISBN number. When I did a search in late November of my book “GAS MASKS Collector’s Guide for Identifying Common American Gas Masks” ISBN 978-1365-28339-0 there were many listings including Amazon US but now most are gone now (Google search). I did notice that some that are still listed have with the wrong number of ISBN 1365283399. Book was released in Oct 2016 and I know that there were 5 sales in early November 2016(UK and US) but they have now (1/10/17) shown up on My Revenue page. Also found listings with the last digit of the ISBN number different – should be ending with “3390” but shows “3399”. When I did the search via ISBN number on Google in Nov 2016 I noticed all most all of the listings (now gone) were in Europe. At the time I thought it was odd that European military book dealers would list this book before American book dealers. It now it looks that something may have gone very wrong with ISBN listing through LULU and the book is being removed from the global market place.

Note – I used Lulu’s free ISBN and global distribution. (And yes it does meet all the ISBN requirements)

Google search 1-8-2017 photo attached shows wrong ISBN number. Book being removed from market because of ISBN problem?

Anybody has any idea what is going on and what I should do to check and fix if something has gone wrong? Did Lulu ISBN number system screw up?

Professor

Re: ISBN global distribution problem -book disappearing from listings - wrong ISBN listed

ruble wrote:

Book - Lulu’s ISBN global distribution problem

Book is disappearing from Amazon US listings and others listings (over 15 places in 6 countries)

Well I found this, but via an Amazon Search.   https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/163-0275715-4280962?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keyw...

– a few still listed now have wrong ISBN number. Barns & Noble still has book listed with the correct ISBN number. When I did a search in late November of my book “GAS MASKS Collector’s Guide for Identifying Common American Gas Masks” ISBN 978-1365-28339-0 there were many listings including Amazon US but now most are gone now (Google search).

Well that is the ISBN of the one I found.

I did notice that some that are still listed have with the wrong number of ISBN 1365283399.

It has two ISBNs. That does not mean it's the wrong one.

Book was released in Oct 2016 and I know that there were 5 sales in early November 2016(UK and US) but they have now (1/10/17) shown up on My Revenue page. Also found listings with the last digit of the ISBN number different – should be ending with “3390” but shows “3399”. When I did the search via ISBN number on Google in Nov 2016 I noticed all most all of the listings (now gone) were in Europe. At the time I thought it was odd that European military book dealers would list this book before American book dealers.

A soon as a book is listed by distributors, anyone can advertise it, but it comes as no surprise because almost everyone in Europe carried a gasmask during WW1 and 2, even babies.

It now it looks that something may have gone very wrong with ISBN listing through LULU and the book is being removed from the global market place.

Note – I used Lulu’s free ISBN and global distribution. (And yes it does meet all the ISBN requirements)

I do not know how you are searching. I used this >>   http://www.isbnsearch.org/isbn/9781365283390

Google search 1-8-2017 photo attached shows wrong ISBN number. Book being removed from market because of ISBN problem?

Anybody has any idea what is going on and what I should do to check and fix if something has gone wrong? Did Lulu ISBN number system screw up?

I doubt it, because you book is still out there.

Highlighted
Author

Re: ISBN global distribution problem -book disappearing from listings - wrong ISBN listed

[ Edited ]

"It has two ISBNs. That does not mean it's the wrong one."

I have only one ISBN number – How can my book have 2 different ISBN numbers?

One book cannot have 2 ISBN numbers! Book with other ISBN number has my cover with my name on it.

"I do not know how you are searching...."

Google Search “ISBN 978-1-365-28339-0”
Was pages of results now only a few listings. This is a search that people would use.

Professor

ruble wrote:

"It has two ISBNs. That does not mean it's the wrong one."

I have only one ISBN number – How can my book have 2 different ISBN numbers?

One book cannot have 2 ISBN numbers! 

They can and yours does. Look on Amazon. Perhaps one is added by Ingram's or even Amazon themselves. Not that it matters if the Lulu one is also there, and it is.

Book with other ISBN number has my cover with my name on it.

"I do not know how you are searching...."

Google Search “ISBN 978-1-365-28339-0”
Was pages of results now only a few listings. This is a search that people would use.

If they know the ISBN they can use a site that specifically searches for that number, as I did, however, the general public rarely know an ISBN number and simply search for the title of the book or the name of the writer instead, if they even know those. My first port of call when looking for a book is Amazon, I would presume it's the same with millions of people.

Professor

Author

"They can and yours does. Look on Amazon. Perhaps one is added by Ingram's or even Amazon themselves. Not that it matters if the Lulu one is also there, and it is"

ISBN - Who gets paid for the other numbers? Tracking is by ISBN back to Lulu back to me so I get paid for copies sold.

"Not that it matters if the Lulu one is also there, and it is"if the Lulu one is also there, and it is"

YES - It does matter MY BOOK & one ISBN is to this book.and the others are not

Author

Found my own solution - Done

Professor

Gosh, and how did you manage that?

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2017 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.