Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Reader
smalltownpress

Coil Binding and Amazon Distribution

Hello,

I'm a publisher who currently uses Lightning Source, but since Lightning doesn't offer coil binding, I've been looking for a print-on-demand service that does. It appears that Lulu does offer coil binding and distribution to Amazon. I've been considering publishing a cookbook, so I want it to have coil binding. I've found many print services that offer coil binding, but none seem to offer distribution to Amazon the way Lulu does.

If I publish it through Lulu, will Lulu take care of listing it on Amazon and distributing it to them?

Thank you,

Brandon Simpson

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Re: Coil Binding and Amazon Distribution

Without looking at Lulu's 'lists', I do not think that Lulu give ISBNs to coilbound books and therefore they will not be placed on to Amazon.

You can sell them via your own Storefront on Lulu, and of course buy them yourself (at cost when logged in) to do with as you wish.

Please use plain text.
Community Moderator
Glenn_Lulu

At this time, Amazon does not print coil bound formats.  Hence the reason we do not provide ISBNs for books in this format.

Please use plain text.
Reader
smalltownpress

If I provided my own ISBN, can Lulu print the coil bound books and distribute them to Amazon?

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

No, it's not a matter of the ISBN, it's just a fact of BOD/POD as laid down by Lulu and Amazon.

Please use plain text.
Community Moderator
Glenn_Lulu

Hello Smalltownpress

It is not a matter of having an ISBN or not (as Kevin pointed out). The issue is that when someone purchases a Print on Demand book from the Amazon site, the book is printed on Amazon's presses, which at this time do not support coil bound book formats. If their presses can't print the POD book, Amazon won't sell it. 

You could purchase an ISBN and assign it your book. Then either purchase a bulk quantity of books from Lulu and offer them for sale on other sites - meaning you would package and ship the books to the buyers or track sales and place orders directly on Lulu for shipment to buyers.

I hope this answers your question.

Please use plain text.