Author
Alan Toner

Big Gaps Appearing Between Words In Justified Word Document

I have a problem with my text in my 6x9 Word document. I have justified the margins in the whole manuscript, but when I have since been combing through each chapter to make sure all the paragraphs indent correctly, I have had large gaps appearing between some of the sentences in my body text. When I try to backspace the sentences to correct this, the other text goes a bit awry.

How can I correct my justified manuscript so that the text does start getting these large gaps between the sentences?

Thanks.
Alan
www.horrorwriters.net
Please use plain text.
Author
Jan Berinstein

Re: Big Gaps Appearing Between Words In Justified Word Document

Alan,

Two thoughts:

(1) Is it possible that you have pressed the Tab key rather than the spacebar between sentences?

(2) If not, I'm not sure what you can do to get rid of extra white space between words (your subject line says the space is between words, though your note also mentions extra space between sentences). That's essentially how Word and other word processing programs handle full justification: They add space between words so that each line of text stretches from the left margin to the right margin.

Typically the only workaround is to use hyphenation to break words that fall at the end of lines. I never use hyphenation because I don't like the way it looks, but I'm not sure what's standard with respect to book publishing. You should be able to get an idea by looking at a few books randomly.

If you want to avoid hyphenation, then I'm not sure what your options are. You probably could fiddle with character spacing (press Ctrl D to open the Font dialog and click the "Character Spacing" tab--you might want to test on a copy of your manuscript first), but that shouldn't be necessary.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Good luck!

Jan

Author, "Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007"

Author/Photographer, "Lyon, France 2010" calendar
Please use plain text.
Author
Fabian_Black

Try hitting the return key at the end of affected sentences, that sometimes works for me, but please don't ask me why, it just does and I have no real clue as to why it happens in the first place. If I'm including verse or lyrics in a paragraph the problem is chronic and I have to leave those portions left aligned.
Please use plain text.
Author
choptank-press

If you don't want hyphenation on the whole document, you can select the offending paragraph and hyphenate it using the format/paragraph/hyphenate option. You can adjusst the amount of white space before hyphenation is applied. Or you can ry adding a conditional hyphen Control - . This allows you to vary where the hyphening occurs. You can also add non-breaking spaces between words to stop unwanted line breaks. ctrl-shift-space .
Please use plain text.
Author
Alan Toner

Hi Jan

Thanks for your reply. I have actually tried the Hyphenation function in Word in the hope that this will iron out the problem. Formatting a book in Word is so darned fiddly, especially in relatiion the the View Header/Footer function (i.e. getting page numbering right etc.). I wish there was a program specially made for book formatting.

Well let you know how my book goes.

Thanks, incidentally, to everybody else for their much needed advice.

Regards
Alan
Horror Writers Website
www.horrorwriters.net

"Jan Berinstein" wrote:

Alan,

Two thoughts:

(1) Is it possible that you have pressed the Tab key rather than the spacebar between sentences?

(2) If not, I'm not sure what you can do to get rid of extra white space between words (your subject line says the space is between words, though your note also mentions extra space between sentences). That's essentially how Word and other word processing programs handle full justification: They add space between words so that each line of text stretches from the left margin to the right margin.

Typically the only workaround is to use hyphenation to break words that fall at the end of lines. I never use hyphenation because I don't like the way it looks, but I'm not sure what's standard with respect to book publishing. You should be able to get an idea by looking at a few books randomly.

If you want to avoid hyphenation, then I'm not sure what your options are. You probably could fiddle with character spacing (press Ctrl D to open the Font dialog and click the "Character Spacing" tab--you might want to test on a copy of your manuscript first), but that shouldn't be necessary.

Good luck!

Jan

--
Please use plain text.
Author
Alan Toner

I have also amended this feature:

“Do full justification like
WordPerfect 6.x for Windows.”

I have downloaded a very informative ebook called TYPESETTING IN MICROSOFT WORD BY JACK M. LYON.

As you all may have gathered, I am taking every bit of advice from everybody to ensure that I get my Word pages as perfect as possible before taking the step of uploading my manuscript to Lulu.

Alan
www.horrorwriters.net

"Jan Berinstein" wrote:

Alan,

Two thoughts:

Good luck!

Jan

--
Please use plain text.
Author
Jan Berinstein

Alan,

Glad to have helped (at least a little).

Yes, Word is labor-intensive and "fiddly." It took a long time to get the layout of my book just right, and obviously I have a certain expertise with Word...

I know people who swear by InDesign, although I think that's a program for Macs. Not sure if it works on PCs (and I haven't seen or used it myself, so I can't say for sure if it's more user-friendly than Word when it comes to book design).

Maybe as Lulu revises its Help sections and its FAQs, they could add some tips for laying out books with Word...?

Jan
Please use plain text.
Author
Alan Toner

I am sorry to say that yet another problem has cropped up in regard to my formatting of my 6x9 book in Word. This time, the bottoms of the letters have disappeared (e.g a lower case p now looks more like an o etc.). Should I therefore increase the line spacing to 1.5? I did experiment with this on one paragraph and, presto, the letters appeared in full again.

I have set the body text in my book to Palatino 11, so was wondering if 1.5 line spacing would be okay for this?

Thanks
Alan
www.horrorwriters.net
Please use plain text.
Reader
nyenem

Peace.

One of the things you can do, as I have done, which came out perfect was to, hyphenate the sentence where the gaps occur, and then highlight the hyphens by clicking and dragging the cursor across them, and then go to "font color" on your tool bar, and change the color to white. This makes the hyphens appear invisible. I hope this helped as it has helped me greatly. Peace.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

You replied to a thread nearly two years old :smileysurprised:

It always help to look at the date timestamps :smileywink: 

Please use plain text.

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.