Publisher
David Woodward

Earn More on eBooks. 90% Revenue for a Limited Time.

[ Edited ]

Earn More. 90% Revenue for a Limited Time.

As an author on Lulu, you get to set your own price for your works beyond the manufacturing cost and you keep 80 percent of any revenue made. In an industry where most companies work off a 70/30 split or more, we take pride in being a publishing solution built entirely towards author success and freedom. We firmly believe that everyone has ideas and expertise and should be able to share their knowledge with the world and, more importantly, profit from that knowledge.

eBooks provide even more opportunities to reach readers and sell more books on devices like the iPad and Barnes & Noble’s NOOK. With our new EPUB Converter, creating an eBook is easier than ever too. We know some of you are still on the fence though, so we’re sweetening the deal even more.

For a limited time, all creators publishing new eBook projects will receive 90 percent of the revenue from those projects through January 31st, 2012.

We’re slashing our industry-best 80/20 revenue split so you can earn more than anywhere else. You pick the price. You keep the profit. Just like it should be. Now you really can sit back and watch the money roll in.

FAQs:

Q: Does my eBook qualify for the 90% share of royalty?

A: If you’ve published a brand new eBook project after after September 6, 2011 it does. Be sure your eBook is priced at $1.24 or higher (Suggested Retail Price) to qualify.

Q: What is a new Publication?

A: New publications are defined as a new project in your “My Lulu” account with a new ISBN. This also applies to any conversion of an existing print title into and eBook.

Q: How long will this offer last?

A: This limited time offer ends on January 31, 2012 but Lulu reserves the right to end this promotion at any time. Once you publish your eBook, you’ll continue to earn 90% of the Suggested Retail price through January 31, 2012 unless you make a revision on your eBook or make it unavailable for sale.

Q: How do I make my paperback book into an eBook?

A: We have provided you with step-by-step directions to convert your existing DOC, DOCX, RTF, and ODF document into an EPUB here or you can take advantage of one of our handy conversion services.

Q: What is the Suggested Retail Price?

A: The Suggested Retail Price is the price at which you want to sell your eBook. You set the price. We provide you with some guidelines but the decision is yours. All eBooks set at a price of $1.24 or higher earn royalty; you keep 90% of all amounts earned, after retailer commission.

Q: Can I sell my book anywhere and still get the 90% or is it for sales on Lulu only?

A: When you publish your title with Lulu, any newly published eBook qualifies to earn 90% royalty regardless of where it sells. You can choose to distribute your eBook through one of our distribution services or sell it only on Lulu.com. If you choose to make your eBook available for distribution, you will receive 90% of the Suggested Retail Price after the retailer’s commission.

Q: Can’t I just sell my eBook on the Lulu Marketplace?

A: Of course! All your sales on Lulu earn you even more since we cut out the middleman. You can change the price of your eBook or choose to sell through one of our retail partners at anytime.

Q: Why does my book have to be priced higher than $1.24 to qualify for the 90% royalty?

A: At Lulu, you’re in control of your works and can even give away your eBook for free if you want. For authors who want to sell and collect Creator Revenues on eBooks, we’ve added a $0.99 base price to cover our credit card processing and hosting expenses. Applying Digital Rights Management (DRM) is optional and adds an additional $0.25 to the base price to offset the licensing fees Lulu is charged by our DRM provider. To reiterate, authors never pay to publish, these fees are reflected in the list price and are only charged to the purchaser when they buy your work.

Q: What is “retailer’s commission?”

A: If you choose to make your eBook available in the iBookstore ℠, on Barnes& Noble’s NOOK, or other retailers, the retailer earns a commission on the sale of each eBook. The commission varies by retailer but it is generally 30% of the Suggested Retail Price. Your royalty will be calculated based on the Suggested Retail Price after any retail channel commission.

Q: Do all eBooks qualify for distribution?

A: No, not all eBooks qualify for distribution. Each retail channel has its own set of guidelines for accepting content. To make sure your title qualifies please review the distribution requirements here. You may revise your eBook to meet the guidelines at any time.

Q: May I reuse an existing ISBN?

A: No, your eBook must have a unique ISBN. ISBNs may not be reused as they identify each title and version available for sale. Each version (print, eBook, or edition) must have its own unique ISBN.

Terms and Conditions for Limited time promotion

Lulu is offering a limited time offer for all new eBook publications (some limitations apply). All new eBooks with an ISBN published after September 06, 2011 will earn 90% of the Suggested Retail Price, after retailer’s commission, if any. Your eBook must meet the following requirements:

• Your eBook must be a new publication. It may be a revision of a previously published eBook or printed title.
  • Your eBook must have an ISBN
  • Your eBook must be priced in higher than $1.24
  • Your eBook must meet all distribution guidelines, if you choose to make eBook available for distribution.

Lulu reserves the right to end this promotion at any time.

Lulu and retail channels may reject titles for distribution for any reason.

For authors who want to sell and collect Creator Revenues on eBooks, pricing must include $0.99 base price to cover our credit card processing and hosting expenses. Applying DRM is optional but highly recommended, and adds an additional $.25 to the base price to offset the licensing fees Lulu is charged by our DRM provider.

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Re: Earn More on eBooks. 90% Revenue for a Limited Time.

Interesting timing ... :-)

Many will welcome it I am sure.
Please use plain text.
Reader
Jackadee

I'm astonished to see that Lulu is still claiming writers receive 80% royalties when my book priced at $24.95 only yields $13.82. Could you please explain to me where that is 80% as advertised?

So likewise impressed I am of this new offer - mine was published on 29 July 2011 and I am still waiting for my royalty cheque (I am in Australia). I have still not got an answer about where the cheque is from my inquiry [some two weeks ago] since I did not opt for PayPal.

Therefore I am reluctant to take advantage of this offer when your 80% effectively pans out to just over 50% for me.

Please explain.

Jacqueline

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

It only applies to e-books
Please use plain text.
Publisher
David Woodward

[ Edited ]

Jacqueline,

Hopefully this knowledgebase article will help explain how the 80/20 split works: How is Creator Revenue & Lulu Commission Calculated? If you still have questions, please let me know what they are so I can make the article more informative. 

You can edit your remittance information here: Remittance Contact Information.  There is an edit button that will let you change between Paypal and check.  

This knowledgebase article explains when payments are made: When are creator Revenues Paid?

-David

Please use plain text.
Reader
D.S. White

Slightly off topic, but here goes...

Quite by accident, I clicked on my author's spotlight and noted a version of my book for $3.99.  Knowing that I had not published my title at that price I clicked on the book to discover that it was published yesterday as an epub with a Lulu ISBN and Lulu listed as the publisher, without any written notice to me?

I just re-read the registration agreement and I note that it says that Lulu may amend things, but republish it as a LuLu publishing product? Without notification?

I am left with two sets of emotion warring against each other...tickled pink that my book is available at iBookstore and pending entry as a Nook book...yet slightly outraged and feeling a bit insecure at the ownership of my product.

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

I dont see the problem, I wish they would convert mine so I didn't have to do it.
However, that is nothing to do with this thread. It has been gone over and over again in many other threads.
Please use plain text.
Reader
D.S. White

I hear you Kevin...that's why I'm experiencing both emotions.  Thanks for the heads up.  I will search out the other threads.

Please use plain text.
Publisher
David Woodward

Hi D.S.

In the Early Spring we sent out emails to a portion of our customers offering to convert their books over to EPUB and list them on the iBookstore. If you did not want to be a part of the offer, you could email us back and say no thanks. I'm guessing you did not get that email! If you want, you can remove it, but it sounds like you are pretty happy. You still own the rights to your book, we only published it for you. 

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
-David 

Please use plain text.
Reader
kiehn

I have 7 monographs on my store front

I want them ordered as

Vol 1  (printed book)      Vol 1 (ebook)

Vol 2 (printed book)        Vol 2 (ebook)

Vol 7 (printed book)

HOW DO I SET RELEVENCE to accomplish this task 

I sent an inquiry AUg 18 and have not received a response

ref:00D56zQ6.5005E7wMA:ref

Prof. Kiehn

Please use plain text.

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.