Publisher
David Woodward

Changes to Creating Downloads of Print Books

Hi Lulus!

Because of necessary infrastructure changes, we have removed the ability to create a Downloadable PDF version of your book in the Book Publishing Wizard. If you have a book that has an associated Downloadable PDF, we are moving it to a separate eBook project starting today. 

Important things to keep in mind:

• This new project automagically takes advantage of the 90/10 split for new eBooks
  • Your new project is a PDF eBook and not an EPUB eBook (you can always make an EPUB at your convenience)
  • Ratings and reviews will be moved over to the new eBook version
  • The previous link to the Downloadable PDF version of your book will redirect to the new eBook project
  • The "Also available as a File Download" link on the product page for your book will remain on your product page
  • New reviews going forward will be associated with each product without sharing across titles
  • Any changes to your print book will not update your eBook version. The eBook will not automatically update with the changes you have made to the print book.
  • The new eBook project will show up as its own listing in your Author Spotlight

This feature was previously located within the book publishing wizard as a checkbox during the pricing step, but now you must go through the eBook Publishing Wizard and create a PDF or EPUB version of your book. (Or make both!) Start an eBook by selecting the, "I'm ready to publish" button on the eBook Publish page. Follow the on screen instructions and you will have your new project in no time at all.

This new version will have its own ratings, reviews, pricing and selling options.

If you would like to create an EPUB version of your title, read the eBook Creators Guide and get your title to some of the more popular reading devices.

Let me know if you have any questions!
-David

Reader
ibpusa

Re: Changes to Creating Downloads of Print Books

Dear Federica:

Question on new procedure for ebooks - do I need to upload a pdf ebook into this section
under a new ISBN or I can do this -- as previously - using the same ISBN and
for a hard copy - for instance 11260989. I uploaded this title today and the
only option was a hard copy. So if I want to add a download option for this
ISBN how do I need to go about this or I need to use a new ISBN>

Thanks for your help

Sincerely

Natasha Alexander

Author
amyatmarashdottv

does that mean my project is now publish-ready as an eBook?  will it publish in the new format to Kindle as well as to a tablet, or e-reader?   will I be able to set, or reset my price as an e book?  If I do nothing, will the price be the same one I chose as my "downloadable file" price?  thanks

Author
amyatmarashdottv

if I want to add links to my eBook, how and where do I do that? thanks,
AMY

Proofreader
mspatti01

I need to know also, on the ones lulu did, why is there no ISBN on the Ebook preview page, and how would it get added now, and do I need to re-add the extend reach... PS I thought Amazon wouldn't let us price over 5.00, for e books, so how are we going to sell for more, and also they are susposed to get a cut of that?? Is it safe on the EBook file to do the preview without it being considered a revision on not just it but all of the above topics?? Thank You, Ms. Patti 01
Editor
wolfsinger

Not sure about the ISBN question

However, at this time Lulu is not distributing to Amazon - just the iBookstore and Nook.

Amazon allows priving to be set at what you want for Kindle - however, if you want the 70% 'royalty' option can only price between 2.99 and 9.99 - anything outside of those ranges will only earn the creator 35%.

There is a recently added feature on you projects dashboard that will give you distribution options on ebook projects - that will be where you elect to have the book distributed to either or both iBookstore or Nook.

You should be able to revise the price by revising the project.

Carol Hightshoe
Publisher - WolfSinger Publications: http://www.wolfsingerpubs.com
Lulu Spotlight: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wolfsinger
Proofreader
mspatti01

Thanks Carol, but still need the info on the ISBN, which in other older posts , you had to get a different one, but I didn't re upload this , Lulu did it themselves , ....so according to some posts, they should have automatically added it, using the same one.... AND still at the same time, need to add the preview, as they didn't just copy the original from the book form...???? don't know why they didn't when they did all the rest without even asking,,,,but neither here nor there.... now how do I fix it all at once? without additional charges. Ms. Patti.
Editor
wolfsinger

Here's the thing - if you want ebook distribution you have to convert to an epub and put the book into the ebook channels and that does require a new ISBN - the agency that controls those requires different ISBNs for different formats that a book appears in.

I don't do distribution through Lulu and had a major issue when they started converting books to epub a few months back without authorization. However, all they are doing here is separating the projects into project types - ebook project (if you have a ,pdf download in conjunction with a print book. If you paid for print distribution that doesn't necessarily cover ebook distribution.

You should be able to create your own preview as well as adjust the price - you might be able to add an ISBN also - if Lulu didn't assign one by revising the project.

There should also be a manage distribution button on the project dashboard that will give the available options for distribution of the ebook. For the book to be distributed to the iBookstore and Nook it have to be converted to epub format.

Carol Hightshoe
Publisher - WolfSinger Publications: http://www.wolfsingerpubs.com
Lulu Spotlight: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wolfsinger
Publisher
David Woodward

Hey Everyone,

Great questions! Carol thanks for helping out.

Basically, we had to pull these downloads apart from there print book counterparts. Imagine if after you created a print version of your book, you took that PDF and created an eBook with it. That's pretty much what we did. That new eBook project isn't eligible for distribution because it is a PDF, but if you were to revise and upload an EPUB or let us convert a Word file over to EPUB for you then you could add an new ISBN to it and it would be ready to go to the Nook or iBookstore. I'm looking into the Preview and will let you know as soon as I can. I know that on your revise page you can easily add a preview for that eBook.

I hope that clears everything up!
-David 

Reader
onuwabuchi

when i recieved my publishers copy of my book i did not see a copyright page that usually comes as the first page acknowledging lulu.com as the publisher inside the book. Do i have to create my own and re-publish or when i disapprove my publishers copy and finalize it then get a copyright page?

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.