Bleed is the portion of an image, line, or color that extends beyond the final page size.
Bleed is necessary when you want images, lines or colors to go to the edge of the finished page. For example, a 6 x 9" page is created larger (6.25 x 9.25") and is centered .125"(1/8") around the finished page size. For an example, see the image below.
When creating a document with bleed, keep in mind that important art and text should be 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) from the edge of the finished page size. This allows for page trim variance as well as bleed. The variance is shown below from the blue dotted line to the orange dotted line.
Note: Lulu will analyse your file's dimensions when creating your print-ready file. If your file does not include the extra dimensions required for full bleed, we will make the necessary adjustment to ensure optimal print quality.
To create a file with bleed, you will need to:
- Create and upload one PDF for your book.
- Page size must be .25 in. (.635 cm) larger in both width and height than the book size.
- Although we make every effort to provide high quality, consistently produced books, there can be slight variations from press to press in the trim size of your work. Allow for a trim variance of .125 inches. (.3175 cm).
- In order to prevent the loss of an image's primary subject matter during page trimming, you should position images on the page so that the important aspects within the image are at least .25 inches (.635 cm) from the edge of the finished page size.
- If your book is intended for distribution, any text within an image must be positioned at least .5 inches (1.27 cm) from the edge of the finished page size.
Example: 6 x 9" (US Trade) book will need one PDF with a page size of 6.25 x 9.25" (see image above).
- Multiple PDFs result in one resized PDF without bleed
- Improper bleed results in a white strip or important content cut off at the edge of the page
- If the page size is larger than the sizes on the right hand side of the table below, the PDF will be resized without bleed
- Crop marks or registration marks should not be included
- Multiple-page spreads should be separated into single pages
- Pages should all be in the same orientation - Landscape or Portrait
- When creating a PDF from Word, set pages to portrait not landscape - Word to PDF
- The cover should not be included
Dimensions for full bleed are in the table below:
|Final Trimmed Book Size without Bleed
PDF Page Size with Bleed
4.25 x 6.87 in. / 10.79 x 17.46 cm
|4.5x 7.12 in / 11.43 x 18.09 cm|
5.5 x. 8.5 in. / 13.97 x 21.59 cm
|5.75 x 8.75 in. / 14.61 x 22.225 cm|
5.83 x 8.26 in. / 14.81 x 20.99 cm
|6.08 x 8.51 in. / 15.44 x 21.62 cm|
6 x 9 in. / 15.24 x 22.86 cm
|6.25 x 9.25 in. / 15.87 x 23.49 cm|
6.13 x 9.21 in. / 15.59 x 23.38 cm
|6.38 x 9.46 in. / 16.22 x 24.02 cm|
6.625 x 10.25 in. / 16.82 x 26 cm
|6.87 x 10.50 in. / 17.46 x 26.67 cm|
7.44 x 9.68 in. / 18.90 x 24.58 cm
|7.69 x 9.93 in. / 19.54 x 25.22 cm|
8.26 x 11.69 in. / 20.99 x 29.70 cm
|8.51 x 11.94 in. / 21.62 x 30.33 cm|
8.5 x 11 in. / 21.59 x 27.94 cm
|8.75 x 11.25 in. / 22.22 x 28.57 cm|
|US Letter Casewrap
8.25 x 10.75 in. / 20.95 x 27.31 cm
|8.50 x 11 in. / 21.59 x 27.94 cm|
9 x 7 in. / 22.86 x 17.78 cm
|9.25x 7.25 in. / 23.49 x 18.41 cm|
12.75 x 10.75 in. / 32.385 x 27.31 cm
|13 x 11 in. / 33.02 x 27.94 cm|
7.5 x 7.5 in. / 19.05 x 19.05 cm
|7.75 x 7.75 in. / 19.68 x. 19.68 cm|
8.5 x 8.5 in. / 21.59 x 21.59 cm
|8.75 x 8.75 in. / 22.22 x 22.22 cm|
12 x 12 in. / 30.48 x 30.48 cm
|12.25 x 12.25 in. / 19.355 x 19.355 cm|