Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Reader
MichaelRoberts
Accepted Solution

Re: Retail Distribution

This message board says "Retail Distribution" so I will post my question here if there is a better board to get the info a link would be great, thanks. I would appreciate it.

I am going over the distribution agreement and it seems to indicate that I can't use multiple companies for the global reach program.

I already have my book in Amazon.com but I am looking to get into the Nook at Barnes and Noble and I would like to sell to brick and mortar stores. I would also like to sell through iTunes at the iBookstore.

1. It looks like if I go with global reach to get into a brick and mortar store I have to give up my Amazon.com listing, is this true?

2. It isn't clear if Lulu has a channel in the iTunes book store so if I did use global reach could I publish in iTunes on my own?

The line in the agree is:

agree not to make any duplicate publication available through other retailers.  You will not submit the publication to distributors other than Lulu.com while lulu distribution is active.

Again, this is the global reach program not the regular agreement.

Please use plain text.
Publisher
David Woodward

Hi Michael,

I have to apologize, I went to move your post to a more appropriate board and accidentally deleted it. Luckily I had the contents in a report, so I was able to recreate it for you here.

I'll see if I can find some information for you on your questions and get back to you shortly. Not very many people are in yet.

I am so sorry!
-David
Lulu Staff

Please use plain text.
Editor
Peter May

Michael

When you say you have your book on Amazon, are you talking about a physical book or a Kindle format.

If KIndle, there is no problem. If physical then presumably you already have an ISBN and so your book is availabe to bookstores.

Making a eBook with Amazon will get the book in iBook store and B&N

For a physical book, using Global Distribution, you need to either supply your own ISBN or use Lulus & pay $75. You cannot reuse the ISBN you are currently using on your book.

Peter May's- Storefront
Please use plain text.
Community Support
ErinW

[ Edited ]

Hi Michael!

Global reach distribution can only be applied to print books, so if you also want your title on the B&N Nook and iBookstore you would need to start an eBook project with its own separate ISBN (and in epub format).

Global reach distribution includes an Amazon.com listing, so you could remove the old listing, and then have one created for you through Lulu for your book. Like Peter said, you would need to get a new ISBN (either bring your own or a free, Lulu-owned ISBN) for your book, since ISBNs cannot be applied to multiple books.

To answer your second question, we offer free distribution to the iBookstore and the Nook for Lulu eBooks. You would need to make sure that your eBook meets our eBook Retail Distribution Guidelines; you can read about those here:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/eBook-Retail-Distribution-Guidelines/ta-p/33340

I hope this helps :smileyhappy:

-Erin

Please use plain text.
Reader
MichaelRoberts

Thanks for the helpful responses.

It is really helpful to know that global reach only applies to printed books. That is a load off of my mind.

I do have an ebook on Amazon, I did it before I found Lulu. For future books I would go through Lulu and get on Amazon that way.

I have a Lulu ISBN number for my hardcover book and I would use Lulu for my printed copies so I think that is great.

but the main thing that prevents me from pulling my ebook from Amazon.com and using Lulu to get to Amazon.com is not knowing what would happen to my current customers. I don't want them to lose my book from their Kindles just because I switched distribution and retail channels.

I am all about customer experience. I am trying to build a fan base and I don't want to upset people by having my book disapear from their catalogs. If my switch would not affect current customers at all I would switch to Lulu in a heartbeat because it would be nice to combine my revenue data in one report from one location.

Any one know what happens if a current eBook on Amazon.com gets switched from the regular Amazon KDP program to Lulu.com? Would customers notice a real difference? Would they lose their book? Would they have to buy it again?

Please use plain text.
Editor
Peter May

MichaelRoberts wrote:

I do have an ebook on Amazon, I did it before I found Lulu. For future books I would go through Lulu and get on Amazon that way.

Lulu do not (unfortunately) offer the ability to publish on Kindle. You cannot get an ebook on Kindle via Lulu -- so do not withdraw your Kindle version.

It is confusing when talking about getting on Amazon because Amazon has both printed and ebooks.

Lulu can get your printed books on Amazon, but not ebooks.

Lulu can get ePub format ebooks on B&N and Apple iStore.

So you can have a book in softback and hardback editions on Amazon via Lulu.

You can have the same book as an ebook edition in ePub format in B&N and Apple via Lulu

And you can have the same book in Kindle format on Amazon, but here you need to deal with Amazon KDP yourself. You do not nee dto pull your Kindle version to publish with Lulu.

Peter May's- Storefront
Please use plain text.
Reader
MichaelRoberts

I think every thing is very clear now. Thanks a lot for the information.

Please use plain text.
Reader
Crestwood

[ Edited ]

Maybe off topic but close: I have a Lightning Source printed title on Amazon but Amazon removed the Buy from Amazon link. Now that I printed the same title with LuLu (and LuLu provided an ISBN), will this title get listed on Amazon and will there be a Buy from Amazon button on the title? Also, do I get the same amount of money on Lulu-printed books I sell on Amazon as I would get from LuLu-printed books I sell on LuLu (or does Amazon take a cut?) Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Yes, Amazon will list it and allow peopel to buy it.

You get less revenue from an Amazon sale than for a Lulu sale.

Read this Knowledge Base fact 

Please use plain text.
Reader
m2mcyprus

I thought that people might find the below helpful that I received from the UK ISBN agency, Neilsen's. It appears that the author must complete the new title info sheet even after Lulu say that the book has been published. On the plus side, the major distributor for Waterstones etc in the UK are covered by Lulu's UK printer - please see below.

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your e-mail. Your book is not registered on our database. You will need to do this first before you contact the IPC at Waterstones. To register your book, please fill out the attached form and send it to newtitles.book@nielsen.com and allow 4-6 weeks for processing. Please also send an image of the front cover only (not the full jacket) to images.book@nielsen.com.

Please note that you already have a UK distributor for your book. Lulu publications are manufactured in the UK by the print-on-demand company Lightning Source, and are distributed to booksellers by Gardners and Bertrams.

I hope this helps, but please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.

Please use plain text.