Author
helga1960

NEED HELP ON SIZE SELECTION

Hello, I am brand new to LULU and this will be my first book with them.    I am writing a childrens book and the style of the book and illistrations are designed to be in landscape format.     I would like about 8 x 11 landscape    & want the option of ordering in paperback  &  hardback....   It should have about 32-38 pages.     I also want to make sure I get an ISBN #  so  I can publish &   sell  . 

Unless I am reading the set up wrong, I cant get  a landscape 8 x 11 size..

HELP PLEASE !

Thanks,  Theresa

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Re: NEED HELP ON SIZE SELECTION

You can only use what is available and that is >>>   http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Product-Information/Book-Product-Information/ta-p/82791

Along with >>

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/What-Products-are-Eligible-for-Retail-Distribution/ta-p...

And you do not actually 'order' a book here until you have created one. It is Self-publishing.

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Video-Tutorials/tkb-p/video_tutorials%40tkb

The files you upload have to be set up to match the shape and size that is available in the Projects also. It's always best to check on what is possible before you design your book   :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Author
helga1960

OK, well I was right then... I  have used blurb to make my last several books>  Most were comissiojned by other people & I just created.  They can sell on that site too.     The desinging program was right there....

Since this would be a new project for me, where do I do the designing of the book?  

Also,  lets say that I created a book on blurb ( because I like thier design program )  can it be transferred to LULU to get an ISBM # so can be marketed?     

I gues the fundamental question would be... do I OWN the ISBN # or does that belong to LULU exclusivly?

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

OK, well I was right then... I  have used blurb to make my last several books>  Most were comissiojned by other people & I just created.  They can sell on that site too.     The desinging program was right there....

Indeed it is, to download, but it does limit you to fewer sizes and options.

Since this would be a new project for me, where do I do the designing of the book? 

On your PC, as a word Doc file (usually) for the pages, and some art/photo prog to do the covers in. The Project Wizards have some reasonable stuff in though to help you design one.

Also,  lets say that I created a book on blurb ( because I like thier design program )  can it be transferred to LULU to get an ISBM # so can be marketed?

No.    Well, the book can, but not the files Blurb use. You have to recreate it here.

I gues the fundamental question would be... do I OWN the ISBN # or does that belong to LULU exclusivly?

Well indeed Lulu own it. It's Lulu ISBN. That's how ISBNs work. But it does not matter.

Please use plain text.
Editor
Peter May

Helga

Did you read Kevin's post and go to the links he gave?

Seems that th efre eLulu ISBN is not available for landscape size books or hardbacks, two of the criteria you wanted.

Peter May's- Storefront
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Recent change.
Please use plain text.
Author
helga1960

If I wanted to purchase an ISBN#  can I do that thru LULU so then I can attach it to a landscape size book?  SInce, I cant get a free one in that size?  

The size of the book is CRITICAL o the layout so  I want 8x11  landscape....   any other options?

Please use plain text.
Author
helga1960

Sorry I am such a pest,  just want to make sure i fully understand this process with LULU before I start anything.   The sole purpose of using LULU is because they have such an actractive marketing & distribution package....  

So  I can use a word doc program, etc  or something else as long as its uploaded in a PDF file?  Then LULU  puts it all together?  i'm a little coonfused about that  because  this is new to me... im used to doing the creating part and  book preview etc,.... 

SO why couldnt I create on blurb then get my files converted to a pdf  then upload to  lulu & purchase an ISBN  so it can be marketed & distributed.    I have been commissioned by a client to put this book together &  I just want to keep the specs, etc the way she wants it. 

I hope I can use this, but I am starting to have concerns.... any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Lulu do not provide that book size.
Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Helga, I gave you three links that tell you all you need to know.

Here is another >>> http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Lulu-Basics/Why-Lulu-might-not-be-right-for-you/ta-p/33686
Please use plain text.

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.