Author
Larren123

I want to make an e book for Nook etc. I have uploaded a doc. file but then the e pub converter gave me this message

• Text boxes were found in the document and must be removed.
  • Tables were found in the document and must be replaced with images of the table contents.
    I am not sure what it means I have contacted support but haven't received a reply. can anyone enlighten me.
    Thanks for any help.
Author
ernestbywater

Re: e book

you must have created some tables in the document, and the system is saying it can't handle tables. You have to make them into images and show them that way. Also it says you have some text boxes, these often accompany tables. The issue is that the e-book readers are NOT document management programs, they're little more than simple viewers, so all the fancy formatting used in things like tables and text boxes just aren't there, nor are the codes to handle them.
Proofreader
Jase714

I am having the same problems... :smileysad:

Author
Larren123

But i dont have any text boxes or tables so i have no idea what they want.

Professor
Ken Anderson

There is a board for eBook questions. It's far better to post there. http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/bd-p/ebook_formatting
Author
ernestbywater

most tables have a text box linked to them as their title. If the document, or what you sued as the pro-forma for it, had a table or text box in it in the past, it probably has an empty one still sitting around looking like a blank paragraph return. You need to find where the document 'thinks' it has such a box in it, and delete it. You may need to check how your word processor creates and sets up the contest page, as some do that as a table and text box.
Author
ernestbywater

Do you have a standard type Table of contents in your document - if you do, this is very likely the candidate for the trouble. See this page:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/Lulu-s-EPUB-Converter-Title-Copyright-and-ToC...

it says:

Table of Contents:
A traditional Table of Contents (one that is inside your book) is NOT necessary for eBooks, as eBooks use a different type of navigation. Learn more in 'Setting up your EPUB Table of Contents'. If you do choose to include a traditional Table of Contents, ensure it does not have page numbers. 

and it includes a hot link that describes how to do a table of contents that is NOT the usual style or way .

Author
ernestbywater

Just found another help item at:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/Prepare-your-Document-for-Conversion-to-EPUB/...

that says:

Remove Text Boxes:
The Lulu EPUB Converter cannot convert documents with text boxes. You will have to remove them from your document by searching your pages to find text boxes. Click on a page and hunt through your headers and footers. The automatic page numbering feature in Word uses text boxes, so remove those. To find text boxes, make sure you are viewing your document with the “Print Layout” (under the View menu) and select all of the text (CTRL+A). Text boxes will show as dashed or solid lines.

I don't use MS Word, and haven't for years, so I forgot it uses text boxes for page numbers etc.
Author
Larren123

I created the doc in Word but when I changed windows I lost Word I now have the free Writer. I realise my numbers are in text boxes but Writer wont get rid of them. Any solutions as to how to get rid of them.

Professor
Ken Anderson

There is a board for eBook questions. It's far better to post there. http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/bd-p/ebook_formatting

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.