Author
Darth_Sidious

Why are POD hardcover books so expensive?

A 108 page, 6x9" hardcover book with dust jacket costs $24+ to print. Why is it so expensive? At bookstores, a similar book would be no more than $15. Why?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Re: Why are POD hardcover books so expensive?

Those at bookshops are probably printed in very large quantities - ten's or hundred´s of thousands.

Basic business rules apply. 

Please use plain text.
Publisher
james_denham

I can understand the hardcover being more expensive to buy, what I don't understand is the cost of postage compared to paperback. Ok they are heavier but not 80% heavier.

Please use plain text.
Reader
robfed123

Why is a cookbook i published on lulu (110 pages) cost 115$ On other websites its half. The book is 8.5 by 8.5. That leads to another question, when i import the pdf back into lulu, it doesnt offer an 8.5 inch size. the nearest size is 12inches, and i was suprised that a 12 inch book is cheaper to print than the 8.5 inch book i did thru lulu cookbook editor.
Please use plain text.
Community Support
ErinW

[ Edited ]

Hi robfed123,

The thread you have posted your question to is rather old; in the future, we recommend that you start a new thread with your question instead of adding on to a much older thread.

The price of your book will be determined based on the specifications that you choose. Photo books, Cookbooks, and Poetry Books use a higher quality paper and printing process. You can find pricing information for studio projects such as these here:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Product-Information/Photo-Book-Cookbook-amp-Poetry-Book-Prices-amp-Specif...

You could try publishing your cookbook as a regular paperback or hardcover book via the Publish > Books tab, if you want to select options that will lower the cost. You can find pricing information for books published this way here:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Product-Information/How-much-will-my-printed-book-cost/ta-p/33671

For a full list of the book sizes and specifications we offer, please see the chart at the bottom of this page:

http://www.lulu.com/publish/books/?cid=nav_bks

I hope this information helps!

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Hardbacked books created at Lulu are very dear in general. I won't even mention dustjackets!
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Don't mention Dustjackets.

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Please use plain text.

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.