Author

Re: Weekly Author Q&A: Get to know RLB Hartmann

Characters seem always to come first, but no matter how fully-formed they are when they appear, the conflicts they encounter (plot) tend to bring out facets of them that I didn't know when the work began. So the changes they exhibit are surprises to me, though in looking back afterward I can see the seeds of those changes in the personality of the characters.

The best example of this is Luis, the boy mentioned in my earlier post. I first saw him as one of a family of brothers living in the village near my main character, Ramon. Over the course of about 3 books, this boy grew up and joined the 1910 revolution alongside Ramon. In the remaining books, which take place during the war, Luis fulfilled his destiny by becoming a priest--a dangerous thing to do in the political upheaval that was taking place. When he was falling in love, having his heart broken, and generally acting like a young man in conflict between loyalty and desire, I didn't expect him to ever make anything of himself. But he did.

He remained a somewhat minor character in most of the saga, but his subplot added strength to the whole which I never would have planned.

Great question. Makes me want to go read those manuscripts again myself.
Smiley Happy
Reader

Hi RLB!

Which do you find the better way to deliver your visions of stories, novel or the screenplay?

Jim Cherry
Author

Hey, Jim!

I always think of myself as a novelist first, but I really like working on scripts--and thanks to Jack Schaberg who let me help him with 2 comedies, I can actually see my contributions played out on DVD. It's also nice holding one's print copy in hand, and being able to give them as giftsl.

So I guess that one's a toss up right now. Thanks for posting that question.
Author

I'd like to thank everyone at Lulu, and all the people who posted intriguing questions for me to answer, for giving me this opportunity to think about my work anew, and to share my writing life. Smiley Very Happy
Author

RLB,
Thank you so much for taking part in the last Q&A of 2009. It was quite a lively discussion! I wish you the best in the coming year! Please take time to check in and let us know of your endeavors!

This week's Q&A is Vito DeLuca. Wont you all stop by and get to know him, too? http://www.lulu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120908

Cheers!
Carol

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2017 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.