Author
juice370

To Add DRM or Not To Add DRM? - Digital Rights Management on ebooks, PDF's & ePub Files?

A few Q's re DRM (Digital Rights Management). Be gentle with me please this is a newish concept to with regards books.

- Would you add DRM to PDF and EPub files?

- If so how would and do you add DRM?

- Will Lulu accpet DRM on PDF and ePubs?

Thoughts, experiences, recommendations?

Thanks

Ian

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Re: To Add DRM or Not To Add DRM? - Digital Rights Management on ebooks, PDF's & ePub Files?

You'll find I've covered the subject in my EPUBs for Lulu tutorial.

Please use plain text.
Author
juice370

Re: To Add DRM or Not To Add DRM? - Digital Rights Management on ebooks, PDF's & ePub Files?

Once again Ken car crashes a forum post of mine. This time with a blatent link to a book he's published. Yes he's asking for money.

No point advertising paid books Ken as I don't pay for any media online. I have to say to Lulu.com this forum is a waste of time with this guy jumping on every thread. Please look in to this situation. I'm sick of it.

Note to Ken: Do me a favour Ken please take the day off, go outside and get some fresh air, give someone else a chance to respond.

Unbelievable.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

I was replying to your message and offering you a source of information.

You've only been here a couple of months - many of us have been here for years and years  -  Most folks appreciate my help and expertise. 

If all you want are freebies then go else where.  

Please use plain text.
Proofreader
Pipa

Ian what a nasty little man you are. -:smileysad:
Pipa
Please use plain text.
Editor
wolfsinger

Ian,

Ken has put a lot of time and effort into freating his tutorials and while you may not want to buy them - there are people who appreciate having that time of resource material available on on hand. If you don't want to purchase the material that's fine - there will be other people who pop on to offer advice as well - but you know have to get so rude about it. Ken's answer was appropriate to the question.

If given the option I do not DRM the ebooks I publish. Pirates will always be able to break the DRMs and I don't want to risk problems being created for the people who actually do buy the books.

Carol Hightshoe
Publisher - WolfSinger Publications: http://www.wolfsingerpubs.com
Lulu Spotlight: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wolfsinger
Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Yes, the Ian personage is rude, but Ken could have just put this though >>>   http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/How-to-Publish-an-eBook/ta-p/33458   :smileyvery-happy:

I was wondering about DRM also, and now that the EU at least has ruled that any digital media a person has bought can be put on to any and as many gadgets they own, legally. it makes you wonder where DRM now stands. (Makes you wonder where the Kindle sits too, now).

Please use plain text.
Editor
wolfsinger

While I know that there are those on this side of the pond - particularly in the music industry, that will disagree, I beleive that is a sensible ruling.

Kindle has apps for android phones, pcs, if you have more than one Kindle registered to the same email both of the Kindles as well as phones, and computers can all be sync'd to read the same book - even if only purchased once. There may be a limit to number of devices, but I haven't found it. I have two Kindles, my android phone, and two laptops sync'd. The only things that can't be sync'd are things you email to a specific device.

Carol Hightshoe
Publisher - WolfSinger Publications: http://www.wolfsingerpubs.com
Lulu Spotlight: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/wolfsinger
Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

But do they have DRM coding Carol?

And what type does Lulu use?

Digital Rights Management Techniques include:

Restrictive Licensing Agreements: The access to digital materials, copyright and public domain are controlled. Some restrictive licenses are imposed on consumers as a condition of entering a website or when downloading software.

Encryption, Scrambling of expressive material, and embedding of a tag: This technology is designed to control access and reproduction of online information. This includes backup copies for personal use
Please use plain text.
Reader
iradotkrakowatgmaildotcom

I do not add DRM to my ebooks, for the following reasons:

1. DRM adds to the cost of the ebook.  The ebook audience is very price sensitive.  Many don't expect to pay anything for their content.  So even the extra amount limits your potential customers.
  2. A big goal of mine is to expand my readership.  DRM is an obstacle to wider distribution. 
  3. DRM limits the type of devices that the book can be read on.  Not all eReaders support all DRM styles.
  4. Adding DRM ultimately doesn't work because if a hacker really wants to steal your content, it can be done.  

Ira

Please use plain text.

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.