Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Author
Dunnie

Submitting books to the Library of Congress

Hi,

A few days ago, I asked about registering and sending a copy of my book to the Library of Congress and received a reply that it was necessary. I went to the Library of Congress web site, but did not find the information I needed and did not get a reply to an email I sent inquiring about the process.

Would anyone who has registered a book with the Library of Congress help me with the procedure?

1) Is there a specific form to fill out?

2) Is there a fee involved?

3) Where can I find the address for the department that should receive the copy of my book?

Thanks for any info

you can give me.

Dunnie

Please use plain text.
Editor
Peter May

Re: Submitting books to the Library of Congress

Dunnie

I think you are talking about USA copyright registration. In that process you submit a copy of your book which goes to Library of Congress.

see http://www.copyright.gov/

Note you are not obliged to do this.

Peter May's- Storefront
Please use plain text.
Author
Dunnie

Thanks, Peter. I checked out the web site and I see what I need to do.

Dunnie
Please use plain text.
Editor
Ron Miller

[ Edited ]

You don't just send a book to the LoC willy-nilly. It is part of the copyright registration process. The US Copyright Office has all the information about this that you need:

http://www.copyright.gov/

------------------------------------------------------
Custom book covers for Lulu authors!
Black Cat Studios

All about me at
Black Cat Studios
Please use plain text.
Author
Dunnie

Hi, Ron,

On the web site you and Peter mentioned, I found the application form and other registration information.

Thanks for your input.

Dunnie

Please use plain text.
Author
SarahCat

[ Edited ]

Sorry if this seems repetitive. I am very new at this. Does anyone know if the author retains copyright  or does lulu for a given book? Should I apply for copyright services before submitting my book to lulu?

I have also heard that when using the lulu program, an author is given the chance to select a copyright lisence. When I do this through the book creating process on lulu, do I still have to file a copyright with the government copyright office separately? I have been on the website for copyright registration thanks.

Please use plain text.
Editor
Peter May

SarahCat wrote:

Does anyone know if the author retains copyright  or does lulu for a given book?

You retain copyright

Should I apply for copyright services before submitting my book to lulu?

No need

I have also heard that when using the lulu program, an author is given the chance to select a copyright lisence. When I do this through the book creating process on lulu, do I still have to file a copyright with the government copyright office separately? I have been on the website for copyright registration thanks.

You do not need to file anything with any government. Put Copyright (c) your name 2011 at the front of your book and it is copyright.

Peter May's- Storefront
Please use plain text.
Reader
He-Is

Hi Peter,

We do have a copyright on my husband's book, but now we would like to have it actually published and we are checking out Lulu. So my ? about the copyright is just the opposite; does Lulu need this copyright that we already have through the Library of Congress? By the way, it took us about 2 yrs. to get it. Thanks...just checking out this site!
Please use plain text.
Editor
Peter May

He-Is wrote:
 We do have a copyright on my husband's book, but now we would like to have it actually published and we are checking out Lulu. So my ? about the copyright is just the opposite; does Lulu need this copyright that we already have through the Library of Congress? 

Just think of Lulu as being the printer of your book. You retain copyright, ownership everything. You are just using Lulu to put your document into book form. You are the publisher, you authorise Lulu to produce and sell the book on your behalf.

Peter May's- Storefront
Please use plain text.
Reader
wingedwolfpsion

Folks, please note that submitting your book to the US government's copyright agency is NOT the same as submitting it to the Library of Congress.  You do not need to do the former, but you do need to do the latter.  As far as I've been able to determine, you are legally required to submit to the Library of Congress if your work is published in the US.

Please use plain text.