Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Author
Jael73

Publisher Grade and Standard Paper

Bet you can guess what this question is. Yeah, I want to know the difference between Publisher Grade Paper (PG) and Standard Paper (S). I'm set up for PG because it costs less. It also sounds more sophisticated, but why would something better cost less? So I wanted to know if PG or S paper is better. I've read a post by Denise Boiko already, but it doesn't answer my question. Thanks in advance! 
P.S.: Just in case, my book is called Cornered :smileyvery-happy: (But it will probably come out next year.) 

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Re: Publisher Grade and Standard Paper

Perhaps because it is not better? LOL.
BTW. I think PG is only available for books printed in the USA, so by selecting that you may limit distribution.
Please use plain text.
Author
Jael73

Thanks, that helps a lot. Plus, that cleared my misconception. (Is PG only able to be PRINTED in the USA but distributed everywhere, or is PG able to be printed and distributed only in the USA?) So yeah, I could get S and pay more for it to be printed everywhere. But if I printed it in PG and it happened to be really good, then it might open a doorway for it to get printed anywhere, but I don't know. I still have a while to decide! Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

I think books printed in the USA can be ordered from anywhere, but that will of course increase shipping fees, to, say, Mongolia :-)

I think most of us just use the 'normal' paper and any other options that does not complicate matters.

This lot of links here may help >>

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/tkb-p/ISBN_Distribution%40tkb
Please use plain text.
Author
Jael73

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
srtallio

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I assume that "Publisher Grade" refers to paper that is the *bare minimum* to be qualified for publishing and etc. while "Standard" refers to a higher quality that is the mainstream industry choice, which is why it costs more...but again, I'm only conjecturing.

Please use plain text.
Author
dubhdara

The standard paper is white and thick. If you buy a paperback in a shop, you'll find it has a thinner and more creamy colour to it - so the standard paper is not standard (in the UK at least). Perhaps it is a standard for hardbacks? I don't buy those because I'm a skinflint :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

It's not so much "qualified for publishing" but suitable for the POD printing machinery available to Lulu from their printers in different parts of the world.
The POD machines are quite different to the giant offset litho machines used in the normal printing industry.

litho 

Please use plain text.
Author
Jael73

Well then. They should just call it what it is!! Publisher sounds all fancy!!
Please use plain text.
Author
Jael73

Oh, ok.
Please use plain text.