Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Author
WilliamDAndrea

My paperback is ridiculously expensive

I've just checked out the paperback version of my novel "We the People Are Good to Eat".  Lulu.com is charging $28.70; and won't allow me to lower the price!

That is ridiculous!  Who would spend that much for any book, especially from an entirely unknown author?  I'm ready to delete the project, and search for another free self-publishing website, that charges reasonable, competitive prices!

I'll be away from the internet during the Holiday, and might not be able to see your answer until Saturday.  By then lulu.com management might have decided to charge a reasonable price, and I won't delete the project.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Re: My paperback is ridiculously expensive

[ Edited ]
First this is a User 2 User forum so you are not addressing Lulu!

Secondly you set the selling price no one else.

The basic cost price is determined by the size of the book, whether it is colour or black & white, the type of cover, distribution etc. All of which are well documented before you begin publishing plus of course Lulu books use the Print On Demand (POD) technology allowing books to be printed just one at a time.

Lulu won't change their manufacturing costs so it is entirely up to you to create the book so it can be sold at the best possible price whilst still covering costs.

All this information was readily available to you before you began the publishing wizard.
Please use plain text.
Reader
jennimariej

Hey,

Check the type of paper you are using for your project.  There is more than one option, and one does not cost extra, but the others cost extra per page (i.e. $0.02 per page) and that adds up quickly.  I would select the option that does not cost extra.  If you don't see it in your project as an option, it may be because it is not available for the size of the project you chose, so I would look into that as well.

At any rate, check into the options you selected.  Colour pages are more expensive than black and white, etc.

You may have to delete that project and start a new one with different options.

Hope that helps at least a little.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

The cost of the pages is peanuts. Work it out ...
It's if they are in colour they become very dear, even if you only have 1 in colour, they are all charged in colour.
The Cover is the main cost, and of course what size of book you pick!

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Product-Information/Book-Product-Information/ta-p/82791
Please use plain text.
Author
WilliamDAndrea

Now that I've calmed down, and thought things through, I've decided to avoid going through another exhausting process of publishing the book again, and just leave things as they are. 

I will, however, only concentrate on promoting the email version, which sells for a much more reasonable price, and ignore the paperback.

I want to get on with writing something new, but having to concentrate on all this publishing and marketing, has  just been  getting in the way.  

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Exhausting?!

I think you mean ebook and not email?

Ah yes, that is one of the problems of SELF-publishing :-)

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

I'm sure that those whose main interest is writing must find any publishing process frustrating.

Perhaps you should consider getting someone else to do that for you.

I'm not really really interested in writing or reading books but I do get a tremendous amount of pleasure from designing, typesetting, publishing and processing sales.

Each to their own - it would be a sad world if we were all the same. :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas
Please use plain text.
Editor
Peter May

WilliamDAndrea wrote:

I've just checked out the paperback version of my novel "We the People Are Good to Eat".  Lulu.com is charging $28.70; and won't allow me to lower the price!  

I'm puzzled - The book is priced at $11.99 on Lulu

We the People Are Good to Eat
By William D'Andrea 
 Paperback, 129 pages      

US$11.99

Peter May's- Storefront
Please use plain text.