Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Proofreader
rmingersoll

Lulu vs CreateSpace

My book, 'Play Hive Like a Champion' has been available for about six months now. I have been extremely happy with the quality of the printed product!

When comparing to other POD companies, I discovered that CreateSpace prints the same for quite a bit less. So I set up an account, made the necessary changes and uploaded my book. My proof copy arrived today and here is what I found:

The publication process - Lulu is very easy and mostly self explanatory. CreateSpace is much harder to do.

Cover quality - virtually the same

Interior paper - virtually the same

Print quality - Lulu wins hands down! - My book has a 1pt line in both the header and the footer. In the Lulu printed book, the lines are crisp and clean. In the CreateSpace printed book, the lines are uneven and irregular. I have over 300 images to demonstrate game positions. The Lulu images are crisp and detailed. The CreateSpace images are not.

Cost - My cost to print from Lulu is 9.70 each (but with a regular 20% discount available this drops to $7.76). My cost to print from CreateSpace is $3.37.

Shipping - Standard shipping for one copy is very close to the same. Lulu is $3.99. CreateSpace is $3.59.

I would love to make my book available at the lower cost,  but the CREATE SPACE QUALITY IS DEFINITELY NOT UP TO PAR!

What experience do others have? Might this poorer qualtiy be a fluke or is it normal?

http://www.lulu.com/shop/randy-ingersoll/play-hive-like-a-champion-strategy-tactics-and-commentary/p...

Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

Re: Lulu vs CreateSpace

When comparing to other POD companies, I discovered that CreateSpace prints the same for quite a bit less. So I set up an account, made the necessary changes and uploaded my book. My proof copy arrived today and here is what I found:

As far as I am aware, when a book created at Lulu is ordered from Amazon, Createspace print it.

The publication process - Lulu is very easy and mostly self explanatory. CreateSpace is much harder to do.

I have not used Createspace, but apparently there's no Wizard tools? (there's no e-book Wizards, I know that!) You have to upload a print-ready PDF? I think Createspace are geared more towards the 'pro' publisher, but I am sure that has changed now most people know you can direct publish on to Amazon. Lulu is, or was, set up for people perhaps just wanting a one-off, so make it easy, but with the free ISBNs etc, it also means anyone can even put their books onto the market via Lulu and make money from them. You can't do that with Createspace can you? It's exclusive to Amazon.

Cover quality - virtually the same

Interior paper - virtually the same

Print quality - Lulu wins hands down! - My book has a 1pt line in both the header and the footer. In the Lulu printed book, the lines are crisp and clean. In the CreateSpace printed book, the lines are uneven and irregular. I have over 300 images to demonstrate game positions. The Lulu images are crisp and detailed. The CreateSpace images are not.

A lot depends on the type of books and where they are printed. Lulu use a few printing companies worldwide and where they are printed often depends on were the buyer lives.. Often one printing company is not as good as another also!

Cost - My cost to print from Lulu is 9.70 each (but with a regular 20% discount available this drops to $7.76). My cost to print from CreateSpace is $3.37.

That's because Createspace own their own machines, because Amazon is loaded. Createspace has no middlemen.

Shipping - Standard shipping for one copy is very close to the same. Lulu is $3.99. CreateSpace is $3.59.

Not bad, but if bought via Amazon the postage is often free. How much are your Createspace created books on Amazon compared to Lulu created books on Amazon? So far you have mentioned creation costs, but not retail costs minus your own mark-up.

I would love to make my book available at the lower cost,  but the CREATE SPACE QUALITY IS DEFINITELY NOT UP TO PAR!

That's a shame if it is true that when a Lulu created book is sold at Amazon, Createspace make it:smileysurprised:

What experience do others have? Might this poorer qualtiy be a fluke or is it normal?

Yes, it can all also be a bad printer's day :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Editor
gtdaniels

Re: Lulu vs CreateSpace

Cost isn't everything. CS is an interesting service. Books sold throough CS give you the most revenue, however if that same book sells on Amazon, the A company take a greater share of the revenue. So, it is not uncommon for CS authors to price books a little higher to account for this.

As far as shipping, Amazon often offers free standard shipping Free is always good.

I do not believe this is a fair assessment. There are many authors over there that swear by CS.  It all depends where the book is printed. I learned this from their forums. Any pod book I have ordered in the past has been good quality. This quality issue is discussed in their forums. My background is in the printing industry, and when I hear of these quality issues I wonder if anyone is doing quality assurance.

What experience do others have? Might this poorer qualtiy be a fluke or is it normal? I believe it is a fluke. Every service can throw a fluke every now and again. From my understanding, Amazon and CS use different printers. So, if you order your same book via amazon it will be printed by Amazon not a CS vendor. SO, you can't say because you ordered a CS proof that was poor quality, that the same would hold true via Amazon.

Now for me, I am into reporting and like how CS recently started providing sales stats to their authors; ie where your books are selling around the globe, what part of the country, what state, etc. I hope lulu can add this sort of reporting in the future.

CS distribution: Also, CS does have an extended distirbution program now. Although, from reading in their forum, many of the authors only opt to sell via cs and amazon and amazon.uk, and seem happy.

I hope some of this info is helpful.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/gtdaniels
Please use plain text.