Editor
TreySullivan

Re: How do I get my book made into a TV show or movie?

[ Edited ]

Let me clear about this point however. It is possible to get an agent, but you need to reasearch. If you find an agent whose objectives fit your work and you blow them away with your hook and moreso your query and then they are blown away by your work and can see it selling they will represent you.

And you can't keep thrwoing things at the wall and seeing what sticks (as in sending to as many agents as possible without researching).

Please use plain text.
Editor
Ron Miller

andrewaiton101 wrote:

That's not fair. I have a strong feeling my book is worthy enough to become an animated TV show. For example, look at Matt Greoning. His "Life in Hell" cartoon strip was first self-published. Look at where he is today now. I want to become the next Matt Greoning. Isn't there anybody here who purchased the $9,000 marketing package from Lulu. If this marketing package is a scam, then why did Lulu.com even bother to list it?

Strong feelings aren't enough. Yes, "Life in Hell" did lead to Groening to an invitation to create a series of short films for the Tracey Ullman show. But this was only after a great many years of time, effort and monetary investment by Groening and his associates. 

Perhaps your book has the chops to be optioned for TV...I have no idea...but your idea that somehow this can be guaranteed is utterly naive.

------------------------------------------------------

All about me at
Black Cat Studios
Please use plain text.
Editor
Ron Miller

N

andrewaiton101 wrote:

"There isn't a soul on this planet who is going to give you any such guarantee."

^Christopher Reeve wrote a book called "Nothing is Impossible". I believe in what Reeve said about nothing is impossible.

What if I mail my self-published book (made possible by Lulu.com) to a Hollywood producer? Will that at least guarantee me an animated TV show?

No, of course not! If doing something like that guaranteed that a book would be made into a movie, everyone would be doing it. 

It just doesn't work that way.

Again, it would be more likely that your package would be returned unopened. There is a good reason for this. Too many producers have been stung by people claiming that some hit film was "stolen" from their book or story. To avoid nuisances like this, producers will only look at material received through a legitimate agent.

All about me at
Black Cat Studios
Please use plain text.
Author
Darth_Sidious

"but your idea that somehow this can be guaranteed is utterly naive."

-Naive? I don't think so. If the marketing package for $9,000 offered by Lulu is a scam, then it wouldn't be there in the first place. There are strict laws concerning marketing scams by the way.

Please use plain text.
Editor
TreySullivan

It is not a scam. It is telling you exactly what is going to do which is promote you and your work. No guarantees

Read Ron's post above for the reason why.

Please use plain text.
Author
Darth_Sidious

Why is everybody here so mean to me? I just want my book to become an animated TV show? Is that too much to ask for nowadays?

Please use plain text.
Editor
Ron Miller

andrewaiton101 wrote:

So how in the world did those now-famous cartoonists and animators get their own TV shows? I'm talking about Matt Greoning and Seth MacFarlane. Did they have an agent at the time? Or were they just at the right place, at the right time? So basically it's impossible to become like them nowadays...

In Groening's case, it was having a really good product that had already garnered a huge fan base and wide readership after many years of hard work on his part. 

Other graphic artists have had their comics or graphic novels submitted to producers by agents.

I don't want you to be disheartened by all of this. But you really need to be realistic, too. You seem to think that things are easy, that things can be guaranteed. That is far too simplistic. As some in here have already suggested, you need to have a very, very, very good product---one that is unique and like nothing else---and you need to work very, very hard at promoting it. No one can do this but you. I know that you believe in your book...but that doesn't mean everyone else is going to fall in love with it. You are going to have to sell it... convince people of its value.

All about me at
Black Cat Studios
Please use plain text.
Editor
Ron Miller

andrewaiton101 wrote:

"Let me also ask this, when you were querying agents, were you sending them to people who accept the type of work you do or were you just sending it anyone with an address?"

-I would send the query letter and/or completed manuscript/actual printed book to any literary agent I can find. I have been rejected nearly 100 times. That is why I am going to Lulu to self-publish my book. They offer POD with global distribution. I'm sure everybody here knows that global distribution will bring in thousands of dollars in profit for the first month. I just need the guarantee for my book to be adapted into an animated TV show.

Unfortunately, Lulu.com does not offer the "Hollywood Book-to-Screen Services" such as AuthorHouse does. But Lulu is the only POD printer that allows me to bring in my own ISBN so I can have full ownership of my book. At AuthorHouse, they supply the ISBN and I can't publish for free there.

Be careful of AuthorHouse: http://pred-ed.com/peba.htm

I took a look at their "Hollywood Book-to-Screen Services" and, frankly, it sounds pretty fishy to me. You may want to read this: http://cinespect.com/navigating-the-world-of-online-screenwriting-services/

All about me at
Black Cat Studios
Please use plain text.
Editor
TreySullivan

No one's being mean to you. We're just trying to bring you back into reality. There's a lot of hard work that goes into TV and film. It is a tough market and business to get in, but coming into it without all the information will lead you into a huge world of disappointment.

You have been given some great information and help. Now it is time to collect yourself and go forward with what you've been given.

Please use plain text.
Editor
Ron Miller

[ Edited ]

andrewaiton101 wrote:

Why is everybody here so mean to me? I just want my book to become an animated TV show? Is that too much to ask for nowadays?

No one is trying to mean to you!

It's a very worthy ambition to want to see your book become a movie.

But you need to be realistic! No one, absolutely no one, can guarantee that that will happen (and if they do, they are lying to you). The only thing you can do is work very, very hard. You need a really good book and you need to publicize it as much as you can, and get as many readers and fans as you can. That is how McFarlane and Groening did it. 

The best thing would be to find an agent. Get hold of a copy of the Writer's Market guide to agents. It tells you exactly what each agent is looking for and how they want work submitted to them. It is a real gold mine of information.

Let me tell you how hard it is to get anything guaranteed even if you have everything working in your favor. Several years ago I worked up a treatment for a film. A friend of mine decided to help me sell it. We worked up a package with artwork, storyboards and the whole works. My friend (Ron Shusett, who wrote and produced Alien and Total Recall) has been in the film business for decades and knew exactly what to do and who to see and what to say. Even with everything we had and all of his experience and credentials the project went nowhere.

This happens to hundreds and hundreds of potential films every single day. 

You need to keep your hopes up and you need to work as hard as you can...but no one is going to promise you that it will all pay off.

But I wish you all the luck in the world! :smileyhappy:

All about me at
Black Cat Studios
Please use plain text.

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.