Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Author
Darth_Sidious

Re: How do I get my book made into a TV show or movie?

[ Edited ]

"There isn't a soul on this planet who is going to give you any such guarantee."

^Christopher Reeve wrote a book called "Nothing is Impossible". I believe in what Reeve said about nothing is impossible.

What if I mail my self-published book (made possible by Lulu.com) to a Hollywood producer? Will that at least guarantee me an animated TV show?

Please use plain text.
Editor
TreySullivan

There are no guarantees. Especially in TV and Film. There are screenplays and teleplays that sit on shelves for years and years. There's usually a reason.

Sending an already published book to a producer isn't a good idea, they usually have submission guidelines, much like an agent. And some producers won't even look at some works if not sent by an agent.

There's a reason agents, studios and producers have submission guidelines. If sending a work meant getting a deal then they'd be swamped with stuff, 95% of it being pretty terrible.

However, persistence is the key. Fight for your work. Their package is a means to promote your work to as many outlets as they seem fit for the package. If there was a guarantee that a studio would buy then I am going home and rubbing some nickels together.

Please use plain text.
Author
Darth_Sidious

Well there goes my life long hopes and dreams...:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Editor
TreySullivan

Just put your goals into perspective but also be real about them. Doesn't mean to completely stop working, but the business we're all in is tough as it is.

With social media the way it is you have a better chance of visibility through Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

All options are relatively inexpensive also.

Let me also ask this, when you were querying agents, were you sending them to people who accept the type of work you do or were you just sending it anyone with an address?

Please use plain text.
Author
Darth_Sidious

"Let me also ask this, when you were querying agents, were you sending them to people who accept the type of work you do or were you just sending it anyone with an address?"

-I would send the query letter and/or completed manuscript/actual printed book to any literary agent I can find. I have been rejected nearly 100 times. That is why I am going to Lulu to self-publish my book. They offer POD with global distribution. I'm sure everybody here knows that global distribution will bring in thousands of dollars in profit for the first month. I just need the guarantee for my book to be adapted into an animated TV show.

Unfortunately, Lulu.com does not offer the "Hollywood Book-to-Screen Services" such as AuthorHouse does. But Lulu is the only POD printer that allows me to bring in my own ISBN so I can have full ownership of my book. At AuthorHouse, they supply the ISBN and I can't publish for free there.

Please use plain text.
Editor
TreySullivan

Well that is your first mistake. Why would a literary agent who lets say specializes in musicals want a script about a cartoon. Or one who specializes in small character driven screenplays. You need to research who you are sending it to. Preferably one who works with projects similar to your own.

With all due respect, that's kind of like Finding-An-Agent 101. And unless an agent responds back and asks, I would never send a manuscript with my query. You need to hook them with your synopsis first.  

Please use plain text.
Author
Darth_Sidious

So how in the world did those now-famous cartoonists and animators get their own TV shows? I'm talking about Matt Greoning and Seth MacFarlane. Did they have an agent at the time? Or were they just at the right place, at the right time? So basically it's impossible to become like them nowadays...

Please use plain text.
Editor
TreySullivan

It is really a "what comes first, chicken or the egg" kind of thing. If you don't have an agent you won't be seen, but you can't get an agent because of this that  and the other.

One way is referral, who do you know? Do you have any friends of friends in the know? If not a good way to rub elbows with people is at conventions, workshops etc.

Please use plain text.
Editor
TreySullivan

And yes it is impossible to be them, but fortunately you can be yourself! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Author
myloreyes

Try networking if you can't find an agent. I've been building relationships all over the freelance design community/animation community before I wrote, and I ended up meeting a guy who loved video games, and we became good aquaintances. Years later, after I finished my novel, I found out that he works for a studio in CA and has been passing along script summaries to big shots up there just because he knew the people that wrote them. I know he sent the logline of my book to Stuart Blumberg. (Wrote The Kids Are Alright.)

If people aren't your thing, you could try checking out http://www.moviepitch.com/, run by Bob Kosberg. Worth a peek. 

Please use plain text.