Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Author
bob33rd

Font size for Children's book

I currently have two books published which I used a font size #12 Arial. I am now working on my first Children's book which is illustrated and was wondering if I should increase the font size, use "bold", or have spacing? The age group would be approximately ages 8 - 13. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you, Bob    P.S. Any suggestions on the book size? 

Please use plain text.
Author
tony_hawken

Re: Font size for Children's book

I would have thought that a font size of 12 is large enough. If you make all the characters bold, it will just look hideous. Also if there are instances where you want to have bold characters you will lose the emphasis.

You might think of using a different font that looks larger and is more spaced out. You could try out Bookman Old, and with the same font-size.

Please use plain text.
Author
tony_hawken

Regarding book size, Childrens illustrated books come in all sizes right up to A4 and larger. The size you should choose will depend on a number of factors, not least the size of the illustrations that you are going to include.

The only thing that I can suggest, since I don't know what you have in mind, is that you spend some time looking at a variety of childrens books, and work out the ones you like best.

Please use plain text.
Author
cwjk

Hi, bob

This is an interesting point. In referring to children as apposed to young adults, ie. 5-10 year olds, a larger than font size 12 would be the norm a font size 14 or possibly in some cases even 16. For young adults (ten plus) font size 12 in Time Roman, Areal or Palatino should be fine. The exception as always is if you are trying to use the lettering as part of the graphics design of the page, either simulating handwriting or part of a multicoloured art work.

Col

Please use plain text.