Author
carl-schoner

A Word of advice for Lulu

Lulu - here are a few suggestions that I think you could benefit from: 1) If it ain't broken, don't fix it! In the last couple of years you have undertaken "improvements" in your software that were instead perceived as impediments in the eyes of your author community. Why not ask for our opinion before you make these grand changes? 2) If you must make changes, make sure they do not require your author community to have to redo all of their hard work. Many of us have put in YEARS to achieve the look and feel that we have over our storefronts, only to have you step in a mandate that we display ourselves in some different light (i.e., "Spotlight"). 3) If you are going to provide an automated means of conversion from one format to another, make darn sure this method works flawlessly before you announce it to your author community. We are in the business of writing, not solving technical difficulties brought about by a lack of proper quality controls. Case in point: Converting a 6x9 paperback to a 6x9 hardcover format completely changed the formatting of my book! I will have to go through several new revisions to find one that will "work" with your 6x9 hardcover widget! Case in point #2: After doing a simple word change on my storefront screen, my profile picture link was broken, and the update profile screen now says I need to upload my photo to a remote host and "link" it to my profile. What's up with that? Case in point #3: When I clicked on your link to automatically convert my storefront to the new "Spotlight" format (which I was warned was going to happen whether I liked it or not) I lost my storefront completely, and from the best I can tell right now I will have to create new revisions of each and every one of my books in order to populate the "Spotlight" that was suppose to be automatic! I cna think of many others. The hit-list disappearing is another good example, but this last snafu is just about the last straw as far as I am concerned. I am sure you can sense my frustration because it is real. There are many other good publishing sites out there, and I doubt that any of them make their author community jump through hoops to deal with snafu's like this.
Please use plain text.
Publisher
james_denham

Re: A Word of advice for Lulu

Hi Carl,

I am not sure I agree with everything you say but there is lot of which I do. Regarding the conversion from 6x9 paperback to 6x9 hardcover, I found, went with the greatest of ease. Basically all I did was replace a few things on the title and copyright pages, including the IBSN and loaded, not a problem. If I have to criticise anything with that process, the proof hardcover version which I bought, the cover was obviously made for a thicker book than my 240 page book and it looks silly.

What I agree with most is, the community should be informed of what's happening and vews requested. I know there will be some who disagree with that but the bottom line is, it is us who have to use the programmes provided, they should obviously be workable, which they  are, but they should be EASILY workable and tha's not always the case.

James

Please use plain text.
Editor
norrimac

I haven't experienced these problems specifically but I agree with both Carl & James' concerns. Also Kevin's comments in Ken's previous thread.

I think the prevalent mind-set within the Lulu offices is that because they are offering a 'free' service, that they should make all final decisions about how 'their' site works.

And of course, they can - and evidently do!

I think Lulu are making a big mistake here. Lulu and similar ventures are NOT the all-powerful, megalomaniac publishing houses of the past (and present!) that have the all-encompassing power and control to make decisions, whether good or bad, that affect their customers' lives and working practices.

If a company like Lulu alienates its customers, they will move on. And anybody, with minimal costs and a couple of techs in India, can easily clone Lulu's site and set up in direct competition. It's probably been done already.

Lulu needs to realize that an Internet business is VERY easy to copy, despite any copyright or patent laws, and that the simplest and easiest way to prevent loss of their customer base is to engage us as appreciated users - and partners.

Lulu is NOT Rupert Murdoch. "Take it or leave it" won't work here. People will walk - sometimes with just a gentle push.

Norman.
Please use plain text.
Publisher
james_denham

Well said Norman. I like Lulu and am happy with it but I am also the type who would have to be pushed to move on. I have been through mainstream publishers but prefer the control and independence Lulu provides but that does not mean they should never listen to the customers. Carl has raised a good point and Lulu really needs to take heed and listen.
James

Please use plain text.
Author
juice370

Have these muppets forgotten how to speak, I can't find a phone number anywhere?

Can anyone list Lulus phone number for me please. I'm sick of looking for a 7x10 template to match my book published on CreateSpace.com

Thanks

Ian

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

An opening sentence like that will not endear you to anyone and doesn't encourage me to answer you although for some reason I will ignore the rudeness and try.

There are no phone numbers.
Support is by email or chat - see the Help box at the top of the page.

Lulu do not support the 7x10 page size.

Be nicer next time. :smileymad: 

Please use plain text.
Author
juice370

Good one Ken.

Bottomline. They are worse than business-muppets I've now established.

CreateSpace.com | Amazon Advantage | Amazon Marketplace | eBay it is for me!

Please use plain text.

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.