Author
jpaulmorr

Selling an epub via Lulu

I have written a book on a particular approach to computer programming, which is being sold by Amazon via Print on Demand (CreateSpace) - currently selling for $54.45.  I also have a Kindle version which is being sold via Amazon's KDP, priced at $29.00. It is selling steadily on both media, although of course not in huge numbers!

I also have an EPUB version, which I would like to make available to people who own Sony Readers, iPads, Android, etc.   My question is basically: how do I start doing this?  I should mention that I am a Canadian resident, so there are sometimes restrictions on how any money I make gets handled.

In response to another query, the CreateSpace version has an ISBN, and so does the EPUB version (issued by LAC);  the Kindle version doesn't need one, but Amazon has assigned it an ASIN.

Any information anyone can give would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Professor
kevinlomas

Re: Selling an epub via Lulu

I am not too sure what it is you are asking because it sounds as if you have already done it.
Author
jpaulmorr

Thanks, Kevin.  Yes, I went ahead and submitted it to Lulu.  Don't seem to have sold any yet, although I've sold 6 on Kindle this month (at a higher price).  I would have thought EPUBs were more attractive than Kindle format - any thoughts on that?  Is there any advice out there on how to increase Lulu's visibility?   Thanks.

Professor
kevinlomas

nothing really happens with your products unless you tell people they are available and from where. Mind you, $29 for an an e-book? No wonder they dont sell well.
Author
jpaulmorr

Good point, @Kevin!  Unfortunately, Amazon keeps most of the royalties for Kindle ebooks (65%) :-)    Given that the book is 370 pretty technical pages, and the paperback version sells for $69.95 (it seems to have gone back up!), what would you recommend as a fair price on Lulu?  I would really appreciate your suggestion (or anyone else's).  TIA

Professor
kevinlomas

Supposedly anything created on Lulu that ends up on Amazon due to the use of Lulu's tools is not supposed to undercut the price on Amazon. Seeing as an e-book does not have to be printed I would assume a price of around $6 to be ok. Let's face it, the cheaper an object it, the more it will sell.

Here's an alternative to them all (but last time I posted it here it was deleted!)  >>>

http://www.smashwords.com/

I tell you what I did to make my printed books cheaper on Lulu, I changed them to paperbacked pocketbook in many parts.

Editor
Peter May

[ Edited ]

kevinlomas wrote:

. Seeing as an e-book does not have to be printed I would assume a price of around $6 to be ok. Let's face it, the cheaper an object it, the more it will sell.

I disagree.

This is a specific technical  book on programming that sells at $70 as a paperback. That price is obviously not related to the cost of printing but at what the market will pay for that knowledge and the value of the contents.

While a very cheap eBook will attract impulse buyers who wouldn't risk a higher sum, this is unlikely to be an impulse buy whatever the price . If someone wants it they'll pay for it and selling it as an eBook for over $70 cheaper than the hardback makes no financial sense.

As you are selling it at $29 as a Kindle then surely the ePub edition should not be priced for less.

Professor
kevinlomas

Well, what marketeers call 'Perceived Value' is right Peter, I agree. In this case you can be paying for the actual information and the market may be small in any case (Get a mailing list for them? :-) )

Kindle set the price do they not? It will be interesting to see what will happen to pricing now the likes of Smashwords are directly linked to Istore for example. You can set Smashwords to allow people to pay from nothing, what ever people think it is worth, to as much as you dare charge. How will e-book retailers deal with the pricing of books set at from free?
Author
jpaulmorr

Thanks for the feedback!  Actually Kindle, like Lulu, lets me set the price to whatever I want.  Based on various people's comments, I am currently charging around 50% of the Amazon paperback price.   Hope people aren't too turned off by this!

Reader
George Creek

Hi there, My name is George Creek and I live in Melbourne. Last year I uploaded my first PDF to Lulu and paid them $99 to convert it to EPUB for iPad because they said they would make sure it would be right for iBookstore distribution. I found that there were few places in the EPub where the conversion was not quite right that was one issue that I could not do much about. The other issue was after a long wait they sent me a message saying the my EPUB was not formatted right for iBookstore. I am really unhappy about the way they helped me with my first project. If I was you, just watch your step with Lulu as they seem to take no responsibility for their actions and there will bound to be problem. They expect the authors to figure everything out and make us spend more money and our time doing something that should have been right.

As a favour, can you show me how to sell through Amazon kindle? And it is very hard to sell any eBooks via Lulu. Thank you kindly, George

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2014 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.