We all have a remarkable book within us, but preparing it for release into the world requires a strenuous effort for which we rightfully expect compensation.
As a free “print on demand” publishing service, Lulu does not pay advances against an author’s future work or potential sales. Instead, authors are paid based on the actual sales of their published work. This quick reference guide provides an overview of how Lulu collects, displays, and pays you for your remarkable work.
Where can I view my sales and revenue?
To view your sales and revenue figures, go to My Lulu > My Revenue. From this page you can view an estimate of your revenue for a selected date range. To view your upcoming payments, go to My Lulu > Payments.
Why are my revenues displayed as estimates?
The payment creators receive is calculated based on the officially posted currency conversion rates on your "payday" – not the day on which the title sold.
The displayed revenues are estimates based on retail sales and the creator revenues associated with each work. However, since all works are offered in all country stores, the exact amount paid to the author may vary slightly from the displayed, estimated revenue total. This is due to daily fluctuations in international currency conversion rates.
Why haven’t I been paid?
Have you entered your Payment Contact information? We need this information before we can begin paying you. To enter this information, go to My Lulu > My Revenue (in the left hand column) > Payment Contacts. Click the Add New Payee button to enter your preferred payment method, tax information, and payment address.
If you choose to receive your payments by PayPal and your revenue exceeds the minimum $5 threshold, you will receive monthly payments directly into your PayPal account. Payments are disbursed in the month following the sales period. For example, you will receive payment on or before the last day of February for revenue earned in January. PayPal payments are made in the following currencies: US / Canadian / Australian Dollars, Euros, British Pounds, and Swiss Francs.
If you choose to receive your payments by check, and your revenue exceeds the minimum $20 threshold, you will receive quarterly revenue payments disbursed within 45 days following the end of the quarter. For example, payments are mailed on or before May 15 for all qualifying revenue earned from January 1 thru March 31. Check payments are made only in US Dollars.
Why aren’t my retail sales displayed in My Revenues?
Books sold on retail sites such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the iBookstore do not immediately display on your My Revenue page. These sales are provided to Lulu through monthly sales statements received from each retail site. These sales can take from six to eight weeks to post in your account, depending on when in the reporting cycle they are sold. Once Lulu receives the sales report the sales will appear on your My Lulu > My Revenue page as one consolidated sale for each retail channel.
Why doesn’t Lulu immediately pay my Creator Revenues?
Creator Revenues are based on payments actually received by Lulu for your content. This means that your revenues may be adjusted for refunds or fraudulent orders for which we do not receive payment.
Additionally, retail sites may hold funds collected for sales made on their sites for up to 160 days. Since Lulu feels this is an unreasonable length of time for you to wait for your payments, we often pay creator revenue based on the monthly sales report prior to actually receiving funds from the retailer.
Why are some of my profits less than 80% on retail sales?
When selling on Lulu.com, creators earn 80% of all revenue above print costs for print books and up to 90% on eBooks. Your revenue is reduced when your book sales on other sites such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or the iBookstore because these outlets charge a commission for selling your work on their sites. As an example let’s say your eBook sells on the iBookstore for $5.99. Apple first deducts their 30% commission from the sale price ($5.99 x .30 = $1.80). You then receive 90% of the remaining amount ($4.19 x .90 = $3.77) and Lulu receives the remaining 10% ($0.42).
Although your revenue per sale is reduced, there is a potential for increased sales volume when offering your work on other retail sites. For more information about setting the price of your work see these articles or use our convenient cost calculators.