Search:
Go to Lulu Help pages
Proofreader
DeborrahC
Accepted Solution

New Release! The Black Church Where Women PRAY and Men PREY

...has just been released. This is a highly controversial book which addresses rampant emotional, financial and sexual abuse of women and children in our nation's Black churches. I expect that the book will sell well once word gets out about it.

I'm marketing heavily online, even went so far as to try Google Ads. Just began running today so we'll see how that goes. The book landing or marketing page is at www.womenpraymenprey.com, which showcases my book trailer, testimonials and audio about the book as well.

Do most of the authors here market their books with a website and a book trailer?

-----------------------------------------------
Dating advice columnist for S.F. Examiner, blogging on
SurvivingDating.Com. Author of The 24 Types of Suckas to Avoid
and The Black Church: Where Women Pray and Men Prey
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ken Anderson

Re: New Release! The Black Church Where Women PRAY and Men PREY

Yes, using your own website is the most effective.
Please use plain text.
Proofreader
LadyG

Deb, I assume that's a US perspective only?
Please use plain text.
Proofreader
DeborrahC

Yup, since that is where I live and so do the people I interviewed for the book. However, when a religious leader pimps the congregation for money, their bodies, their time, and any other resources he or she can get out of them, the problem becomes universal. Pimp game is not limited to one country.

Please use plain text.
Editor
Peter May

Nicely designed cover &  book.

Observations:

The 'N' in ISBN stands for number so the # before the following number is superfluous

Page ix - the newsreaders glee implied not inferred, or 'their glee showed they had inferred'

Use curly - smart - quotes and apostrophes instead of straight.

Peter May's- Storefront
Please use plain text.
Editor
gtdaniels

Congrats on your newly published work. You cast a wide net with your title. nice website to go with the release.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/gtdaniels
Please use plain text.
Editor
Ron Miller

If your book is indeed "highly controversial" it would probably stand you in good stead to back that up. (Frankly, it sounds unlikely for a book that has only just this moment been published.) Quotes from newspapers and other media discussing your book---either pro or con---would be good.

------------------------------------------------------

All about me at
Black Cat Studios
Please use plain text.
Professor
kevinlomas

To be found here >>   http://www.lulu.com/shop/deborrah-cooper/the-black-church-where-women-pray-and-men-prey/paperback/pr...http://www.lulu.com/shop/deborrah-cooper/the-black-church-where-women-pray-and-men-prey/paperback/pr...

From the Preview I would indeed say it's content is controversial, it does not claim that people have tried to ban it, yet.

But what it is saying, really, is that religion is manipulative. However, it always has been and that is why it came in to being. Some is far more manipulative than others though, and as an outsider viewing the USA, it appears to be a hotbed of religious factions, cults, and the easiest place to invent a new 'church' and get 10000s of 'uneducated' followers, often willing to give it all their worldly goods!

I have no idea about the statistics that you mention, but is marriage not becoming 'unpopular; anyway? Regardless of race? Regardless of country? Many well-qualified woman now leave it late to get married, if at all, regardless of colour and religion. Is this not simply a common trend and not just a religion/ race related thing? Statistics can prove anything if isolated and/or taken out of context. (I will not even go in to the fact that some people still get married, just to hide that they are gay, but then again, more and more people are not doing that, now).

You mention a TV prog and some names. Who are they? What are their credentials? And why not just use the information they used?

I assume you know that the roots of the problem goes way back in time where Africans (and many other nations) treated their females like cattle? Or even worse. Not only that, the problems that you cover are not isolated to the black community or even the USA? Or even to religion. Just one example though >>   http://electwomen.com/2012/05/06/5-philadelphia-pedofile-priests-defrocked-vatican-continues-to-disc...

Anyway, subject aside.

Nice cover. The back is a bit busy though! (And no real need to display a price).

I think you use far too many sub-chapters for a book with only 212 pages. The Chapter, Sub-chapter pages look like the plan used to write a book.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Editor
Ron Miller

kevinlomas wrote:

To be found here >>   http://www.lulu.com/shop/deborrah-cooper/the-black-church-where-women-pray-and-men-prey/paperback/pr...http://www.lulu.com/shop/deborrah-cooper/the-black-church-where-women-pray-and-men-prey/paperback/pr...

From the Preview I would indeed say it's content is controversial, it does not claim that people have tried to ban it, yet.

Exactly. The subject is surely controversial, but that doesn't mean there has been a controversy. She said that "This is a highly controversial book", which suggests to me that the book itself has already been a source of  widespread debate, which I suspect is not in fact true.

I assume you know that the roots of the problem goes way back in time where Africans (and many other nations)

Just being pedantic here: Africa is not a nation.

------------------------------------------------------

All about me at
Black Cat Studios
Please use plain text.
Proofreader
DeborrahC

Ron, in the black community anything that even REMOTELY hints of criticism of the black church or its leadership is controversial and often met with anger, disdain for the author/speaker, and ridicule. That is how it is. There are website that haven't read the book yet, but already condemned it for the subject matter alone. THAT is controversy enough. Do I care to quote their opinions and personal beliefs about religion, church and pastors on my book page? Certainly not. That isn't going to help me SELL MY BOOK dude, which is my priority.
Please use plain text.