Bibliophile

Re: First Published Book - "Menace: Season One"

I see that Richard concurs on the need for an editor. It's good advice.

And you might find Kevin's thoughts to be a bit harsh, and even off the point, perhaps... but he makes some good points.

As I mentioned, I like that you came to this looking for advice, and not with the attitude of already knowing everything. Think about the things that each of us has said -- Ron, Richard, Kevin, and myself. Look at this as a learning experience -- an experiment, a crucible, a test run.

One side point on lost manuscripts... I've lost a few in my day. But I've found that having the mind from which they sprang is almost as good as having the original, and often better. 

Good luck, and keep writing.

Professor

But... Sometimes a story needs a while to age.

Indeed it does, and even when one feels it is finished, step away from it for a few months, then read it again, and often one finds one could have done a lot better and even think, "did I really write that nonsense?" for many reasons.

I'm hearing a lot of "we rushed to do this" and "We just now dashed out that part" and a few other signs of haste.

One has to wonder about any rush to become published, especially with no deadline to beat. I would suggest reading it over a dozen times before perhaps even letting any other person see it!

Professor

[ Edited ]

And you might find Kevin's thoughts to be a bit harsh, and even off the point, perhaps... but he makes some good points.

Sorry, that could be the Britishness in me coming out, but I have learned that people often take no notice unless they are shocked a tad, (gosh, was that how Trump got elected?!! Oh, no, because he made no good or true points.  Smiley Tongue)   and humouring people is just cruel. 

BTW. They are not off the point at all.

Bibliophile

kevinlomas wrote:

But... Sometimes a story needs a while to age.

Indeed it does, and even when one feels it is finished, step away from it for a few months, then read it again, and often one finds one could have done a lot better and even think, "did I really write that nonsense?" for many reasons.

I'm hearing a lot of "we rushed to do this" and "We just now dashed out that part" and a few other signs of haste.

One has to wonder about any rush to become published, especially with no deadline to beat. I would suggest reading it over a dozen times before perhaps even letting any other person see it!

Kevin, I can understand how you might ask yourself, "Did I really write that nonsense?" Smiley Tongue

Smiley Very Happy

Professor

Kevin, I can understand how you might ask yourself, "Did I really write that nonsense?"

Gosh, how rude!

Bibliophile

kevinlomas wrote:

Kevin, I can understand how you might ask yourself, "Did I really write that nonsense?"

Gosh, how rude!

Look, you drew a target and handed me a snowball. What was I supposed to do?

Besides, I'm agreeing with you... Smiley Very Happy

Professor

Look, you drew a target and handed me a snowball. What was I supposed to do?

Is it yellow?

Highlighted
Bibliophile

Lulu is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security. Copyright © 2002-2017 Lulu Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.