ePUB Formatting Error

MicahMathewsMicahMathews Leeds, UK Reader
editado 28 de febrero en eBooks
I've been experiencing an error when creating the last few ePUBs that shows up in whatever ePUB reader I use. I've got an image of it below:

As you can see the main text is displayed in NTR, whereas the first paragraph after the break without the indent is in Arial. It does this with every scene break I create and set the first paragraph as non-indented. Each paragraph format is set to a style, and all use the Arial font before being processed in the ePUB converter on Lulu.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks up front for any help. :smile: 

Micah Mathews
www.micahmathews.co.uk | Patreon | Spotlight
My Books:
The Kallans - Beginnings: Empire - Print | PDF

Mejor respuesta

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor
    editado 28 de febrero Respuesta ✓
    Ok, go into styles on left bar using Sigil. Change all fonts to New Times Roman. Generate toc again to update.

Or in Word, highlight text and select Normal Style. 

Better in Sigil. That way you can preview in Adobe Digital Editions and not have to reconvert.
     A citizen of the world.

Respuestas

• ps. You can also create a "no indent" style in Word and highlight all subsection paragraphs with no indent. Make font NTR.

Good luck.
     A citizen of the world.

• MicahMathewsMicahMathews Leeds, UK Reader
    Thanks Em_Press, your suggestion about NTR worked a treat. I still don't understand the issue though, as Arial is on their accepted list anyways. I'll look at Sigil, but got it sorted with MS Word for now.

I had created a "no indent" style in MS Word, and it was a child style of the main indented style.

:smile:
    Micah Mathews
    My Books:
    Hmm... You can't have two fonts unless it's distinguished text. Besides, Kindle strips them all.

Sigil will serve you well. Come back if you get stuck.
     A citizen of the world.

• MicahMathewsMicahMathews Leeds, UK Reader
    Maybe the system was assuming there was two fonts? I'm not sure tbh. All I know was that I did my best to remove all other fonts other than Arial. It doesn't matter anyways since ePUB readers usually have a default one (as you said about the Kindle). I was more bothered about the other font showing up incorrectly.

I've updated all my ePUBs now, thanks again for the help. :smile:
    Micah Mathews
    My Books:
  • Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian
    If you originally created the document using Word, the issue may have been due to the default font of your install. If the default font is different from the font you're using, it can cause some odd glitches.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Hmm... You can't have two fonts unless it's distinguished text. Besides, Kindle strips them all.

I stopped using Lulu to send ePubs to Amazon because when they convert them to Kindle they strip almost everything out and they look a bit of a mess. I now publish ebooks direct to Amazon and use Lulu for everywhere else.

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
    The 'default' font in Word becomes the one you select for whatever template you have created.
    editado 2 de marzo
    Hmm..you can assign a style to italics, bold, smaller font size, no indents, extra indent, lists, etc. They will be preserved even using Lulu if formatted properly.
     A citizen of the world.

Indeed. And a Word template for an ePub is about as simple as one can get.
Accede o Regístrate para comentar.