Comments

• Nice to see a book so well-formatted and laid out! It's a sadly all too rare pleasure.

(You might want to rethink your covers, though.)

The only problem I can see right off the bat is your pronunciation guide. Half a dozen pages devoted to the proper pronunciation of words that you have made up in the first place is extremely off-putting. And, frankly, pointless. If you are making these names and words up, why not make up words that are intuitively pronouncable instead of placing an impediment between the reader and his/her smooth reading of the book? I fail to see where what you have done adds anything whatsoever to the pleasure of reading your book or understanding what it is about...instead it simply serves to add a distraction every time one of your invented words shows up. (In fact, unless you expect someone to be reading the book aloud, exactly what difference does it make how any of the words are pronounced?)

• thekherham wrote:

I don't know why I'm doing this when in all probability nothing will come of this (I guess that's the pessimist in me),

Hopefully, some people will at least take a look at these books, and give me their opinions.

Never----never, ever, ever----start out saying this.  What a turn-off!  People don't want to hear a sob story, or feel guilty b/c they don't check out your links!  And the "Woe, me!" attitude rubs people the wrong way.  Please, for the sake of all who preview works on these forums, just ask us to check it out.   Pretty please.  With loads and loads of sugar, chocolate, and caramel syrup on top.  And a cherry.

•  

I usually agree with Ron, but not this time Smiley Happy *

This appears a well researched and deeply thought about fantasy/SF saga and the starter pages about pronunciation is spot on for a book that is said to be from an alien culture. I don't think I am the target audience but I reckon that those that get into this sort of fiction will love touches such as these... After all there are people who learned to speak Klingon

I doubt however that the original title would have been 'Autobiography of an Alien', because the protagonist wouldn't consider himself an alien, so I wonder if -- at the begininning - you should add something like 'Originally published under the title 'Thekherham: My Autobiography' or 'Whistling Dragons and Me - an Autobiography' or somesuch ?

* except where he praises the formatting Smiley Happy

• You make some valid points, Peter.

I have been working on this novel for a number of years (I dare not say exactly how many), and I have been debating off and on whether or not to leave in the pronunciation guide. When one looks at it, it might seem rather daunting, but I have tried to develop a pattern that the reader would find easy. While this novel was in draft form, my wife and I took turn reading it, and while at first she was rather daunted by the strange names and other words, but eventually she pronounced them as they were meant to be pronounced. Now I'm not saying that anyone who reads this book will feel the same way, but hopefully some readers wouldn't mind the guide. I have decided to leave it in there; I will leave it up to the readers if they want to read the introduction and the pronunciation guide, or if they want to go straight to Chapter One.

As for the title, now that I think about it, another good point. But... Thekherham's autobiography reflects the fact that a) even though he was born on the planet Tereskàdhar he feels like he's an alien on his own world because of the influx of Alharhanians (the humanoid inhabitants of the third planet, Alharhan), and later, when he journeys to that third planet, he feels even more like 'an alien on an alien world' (a stranger in a strange land, as it were.)

I had this posted, and then I thought about the cover. Sure, I'd like to redo the covers but I don't have the money to pay for someone to design a cover, nor can I do it myself. Whatever happened to all those cover images that Luly used to have? They seemed to have disappeared, and what they have now leaves a lot to be desired.

• I have revised the book and changed the title to LIfe Through My Eyes, which is, I think, a better title than the mundane The Autobiography of an Alien.

Oh, by the way, I decided to go with Create Space. They have much better covers than Lulu. Check it out on Amazon. Just put Thekherham in the search box. 

• Peter May wrote:

I usually agree with Ron, but not this time Smiley Happy *

This appears a well researched and deeply thought about fantasy/SF saga and the starter pages about pronunciation is spot on for a book that is said to be from an alien culture. I don't think I am the target audience but I reckon that those that get into this sort of fiction will love touches such as these... After all there are people who learned to speak Klingon

I doubt however that the original title would have been 'Autobiography of an Alien', because the protagonist wouldn't consider himself an alien, so I wonder if -- at the begininning - you should add something like 'Originally published under the title 'Thekherham: My Autobiography' or 'Whistling Dragons and Me - an Autobiography' or somesuch ?

* except where he praises the formatting Smiley Happy

A pronunciation  guide is fine...but don't start off the book with it. All that does is make the reader stop and think about how they are pronouncing a word (in their heads!) as they read every time they come across a new one. This is, I think, inhibiting. Unless someone plans to read a book aloud, it really is a kind of pointless exercise.

Very good point about the title!

R

• I have revised the book and changed the title to LIfe Through My Eyes, which is, I think, a better title than the mundane The Autobiography of an Alien.

Gosh it took you 6 years?! And I thought I was slow.

Oh, by the way, I decided to go with Create Space. They have much better covers than Lulu. Check it out on Amazon. Just put Thekherham in the search box. 

But you can upload your own designs to Lulu. If Amazon have better covers than Lulu or not is not the point. They will be generic and useable by 1000s, when what you need is a unique cover.

• A pronunciation  guide is fine...but don't start off the book with it. All that does is make the reader stop and think about how they are pronouncing a word (in their heads!) as they read every time they come across a new one. This is, I think, inhibiting. Unless someone plans to read a book aloud, it really is a kind of pointless exercise.

Unless you are writing in some made up alphabet, like Elven, then I see no point in in such a guide. Syllables pronounce the same when using a known alphabet ...  

What do these say? Minstibing. Gertaster secodestrain yrella.

They are meaningless but I bet you can still say them!

• kevinlomas wrote:

I have revised the book and changed the title to LIfe Through My Eyes, which is, I think, a better title than the mundane The Autobiography of an Alien.

Gosh it took you 6 years?! And I thought I was slow.

But you can upload your own designs to Lulu. If Amazon have better covers than Lulu or not is not the point. They will be generic and useable by 1000s, when what you need is a unique cover.

I agree about the cover. You need a unique one, not one that---however nice it may be---has been used by hundreds of other authors.