About fonts?

LarikaLarika Bibliophile
edited March 3 in Author Workshop
My group is making a book. We want to use different fonts for different group members pieces. We will use the fonts accepted by Lulu. (Arial, Bookman Old Style, Century, Courier, Garamond, Palatino, Tahoma, Times New Roman, Verdana, Symbols.) In my previous books I used only one font. Can the different fonts be used in one book,  or must we all use the same font? We will make it a PDF file.

Best Answers

Answers

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher
    I should point out -- playing the Dutch Uncle here -- that too many fonts can be distracting. There should be a clear reason why the font changes from Times to Garamond to Arial to Castellar, and so forth, such as a change of author, change of subject, or an artistic choice in which a font change enhances the work.

One of the critics' points on my first book (now retired) is that I used too many fonts.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Often 'art' can overwhelm readability. 
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    edited March 3
    Thank you all. On Wednesday I will bring up those points with my writing group and we will decide as to whether to use one font or different ones. I did check out the fonts allowed by Lulu and there is not too much difference between them. There are more exotic fonts but these would have to be embedded in the PDF file. I had always assumed that when you made a PDF file it automatically embedded the fonts but when I was trying to find out the answer about using different fonts in the same book(I couldn't find anything by the way) it seemed to be suggesting in Lulu's knowledge base that after one made a PDF file then these exotic files had to be further embedded.
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    You can use dopdf which is a free program to make the PDF. It allows you to embed the fonts before you upload your document. I know it works with MS Word, not sure what you are using at the moment.
    Although I use something different now, I have used dopdf in the past and it worked fine!
    Thank you all. On Wednesday I will bring up those points with my writing group and we will decide as to whether to use one font or different ones. I did check out the fonts allowed by Lulu and there is not too much difference between them. There are more exotic fonts but these would have to be embedded in the PDF file. I had always assumed that when you made a PDF file it automatically embedded the fonts but when I was trying to find out the answer about using different fonts in the same book(I couldn't find anything by the way) it seemed to be suggesting in Lulu's knowledge base that after one made a PDF file then these exotic files had to be further embedded.

What is important is the readability of the font used. You may have noticed, or perhaps not noticed being you were just engrossed in reading it (which is a clue there …) is that many fonts used in general in books, newspapers and mags, etc etc., are TNR or very close derivatives of it. That's because over the decades they have been found to be the easiest to read, especially as a smallish point. 12pnt for instance. It's also said about Serif fonts.

It's the contents that matter, not trying to be too 'clever' with the fontage.  :)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hard+to+read+fonts?&FORM=HDRSC2
    I have to second Kevin's comment. Ease of reading is the most important consideration. You should only get creative with the choice of typeface if it adds materially to the understanding or appreciation of a story...and even then a very little goes a long way. To take one example, a short paragraph might be set in a sans serif face if it is meant to suggest, say, a printout from a computer.
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    Thank you all. My writing group have decided we will all use Times New Roman in our book. I will be careful with the text on the cover. I use the old cover in the wizard but after my tuition with Lulu, I may use the all in one cover. I wish I could colour the spine in the old cover version which is why the all in one cover is better.
    Looking forward to seeing the results!