Headings Clarification

AuntySocialiteAuntySocialite WriterLlareggub, Wales, UK Writer
Having read all PDFs on eBook creating, also searched on Forum, I'm confused by something simple: my ebook has been uploaded and accepted by Lulu, but I can't see a TOC. I applied Heading 1 to front matter (each page) and Heading 2 to chapter titles; is Heading 3 for the actual chapter itself? Many thanks in advance.
'A dog judges others not by their colour or creed or class, but by who they are inside.'

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Arachis_2013Arachis_2013 Writer Florida Panhandle Writer
    Accepted Answer
    There is a table of contents icon at the top which opens a window for editing the TOC. There you will find buttons that will let you generate the table of contents from 'major headings' or 'all headings' and some other choices that we probably don't care about.

Answers

• allysmithharrisallysmithharris Reader Reader
    I'm having the same issue. I opened a ticket for help because I've spent too many hours trying to fix this and the conversion issue. There has to be steps missing from their instructions or something. It doesn't make sense why this is so difficult. It's quite frustrating. 
  • AuntySocialiteAuntySocialite Writer Llareggub, Wales, UK Writer
    Yes, sir, an ePub.... thank 'ee, your post is much appreciated. Will go for Heading Styles and try again.
    'A dog judges others not by their colour or creed or class, but by who they are inside.'

The problem is with Weird I mean Word. The only version I have to work with is 2002 so no ribbon at the top I'm afraid - how do I know I'm using Heading Styles? Thanks in advance! (#@!!)

• Arachis_2013Arachis_2013 Writer Florida Panhandle Writer
    I've found that Calibre will not automatically generate a TOC for any of the files I've  run through it (though I shall note that I use Open Office, not Word). I've had to go in and add it after the fact in the 'edit book' section. That works perfectly well.
    I'm done with Word now, life is too short - have read up on Weird Styles, done everything as instructed in ebook creator guide, & now my interior file has unexpected errors.  FFS. Thank you anyway, Kevin -
    I'm going with Arachis & OO, but can I ask you, Arachis, what you tick in 'edit book' section to get a TOC?
    If I ever get it up I'd like to gift you both a free copy of my novel, if you want one, to say thanks for your help.

• Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin Admin
    The problem is with Weird I mean Word. The only version I have to work with is 2002 so no ribbon at the top I'm afraid - how do I know I'm using Heading Styles? Thanks in advance! (#@!!)
    Apologies that I was unable to offer a response yesterday about this. I did some digging this morning into Word 2002. I wasn't able to find anything that satisfied me, but this post does explain some of the basics for setting up a cascading heading navigation.
  • Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin Admin
    It's important to note that converting from a DOC file to a Open Office or Libre Office ODT file, the Heading styles will appear but won't be applied even though they appear to be. You'll need to go through and select the text that needs to be in a particular style and apply it again.
    I don't know what causes this and I've yet to find a good solution to correct it aside from manually reapplying the formatting.
    Thank you very much, Paul and Arachis - when I had another look at OO I noticed that 'heading 1' was selected, not 'Heading 1' - size, rather capitalisation, when it comes to finding the right heading styles, *does* matter! Have re-selected all Headings 1 and 2: My TOC has come out quite neatly. Now when I try to upload my Calibre ePub I get 2 error messages:

ERROR(RSC-007): MY_BENDI_BOOK_-Author.epub/titlepage.xhtml(15,81): Referenced resource could not be found in the EPUB.

ERROR: Author.epub(-1): Unmanifested file: META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt

Apologies for all these questions & my eldest male child in return. Well, actually, my deepest gratitude...

Thank you so much, Paul. Think I've deleted the bookmarks file but will try uploading the ODT...

Go my odd, we have LIFTOFF. Uploading the ODT didn't work but I managed to delete the offending bookmark.txt file in the Calibre conversion. Thank you again for all your help! Now I better write down what I did for my next book...

Though now a New Problem in trying to upload corrected epub for change of access: have posted on the workaround post, I'm sure it will get sorted. Happy Thursday, everyone :)

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius
    There is a table of contents icon at the top which opens a window for editing the TOC.

Lulu's convertor will not accept ready-made TOCs.

Thank you everyone for your precious time :)