Book Announcements...yet again

Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
edited January 7 in General Discussions
I suppose there will never be an end to the need to remind authors to make sure that their book announcements are letter-perfect. The blurb they provide will be the first sample of their writing anyone will see and if there are mistakes in grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. this will not give a prospective reader a very good impression of what their book might be like. After all, if you cannot write a single paragraph carefully, how good can the entire book be? It's exactly like making sure you are well-groomed before going to a job interview.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    If it's the one I think it is, I wonder about his actual credentials. I can find no mention of him on line, or his other book, and the first two statements in the Dedication are nonsense, or at least needs proving. A shame the text in Flash Previews  cannot be copied to paste.
  • oncewasoncewas Librarian

I have often been surprised at some of the posts which appear in the forum. They lead me to believe that the author is not serious about achieving success. It could, of course, be a case that he or she does not know any better, but that still would lead to the same outcome: zero revenue.

The way I look at it now is for everyone who publishes material which , due to paucity of skill, will be unable to compete against books which sell, it will be a case of their loss and possibly - perhaps one in about eighty three million times - my gain.

If someone can't be bothered to ask a question in a careful, and coherent, way chances are they won't be much bothered about composing a blurb or the book that they write. This brings us back to doe, a deer...er no, no dough.

It seems almost unheard of nowadays for anyone who posts in Promotions to visit the forums, and it's getting just as unheard of for newbies to visit here either. Why that would be I have no idea. Surely it cannot be that new self- publishers now have no need of any advice at all? If so that's a massive change. I recall big trends too over the years. When Vampires were all the rage, hundreds came here (often in their teens) wanting to publish a Vampire story. It was the same with zombies, and they flooded to forums with questions. What are the inspirations nowadays that causes writing trends?
    Actually, Lulu's Facebook presence seems to have taken over from the forums. 
  • I believe that line should be, "A dough, a dear, a free mail deer."

:*  B)
    Is a mail deer like a carrier pigeon?