Let's all do a Trump

Here's some good advice as to how to promote your book using twitter. 
What a charming young Lulu presenter.

Comments

• ....FAKE NEWS! WHICH HUNT! SAD!
    Tim Reinholt Author of Pow, a ski bum heist adventure
  • That's all very well, but you still have to get people interested in your postings anywhere. Just listen to all the marketing you still need to do in order to drive people towards you, no matter where you have a presence.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    edited December 2018

It's unfortunate that Trump is a bodily function and potential rude word in the UK. An alternative word is fart.  :)

• I feel like I already waste so much time running a book page on Facebook, I really can't handle taking on another time sucking Social Media platform
  • "Oh you really need to get on Facebook!" I was advised. But after a few years I have no idea why. It seems to be full of people who want to promote books, not to  buy them.
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    edited December 2018
    "potential rude word in the UK."   Not all in the UK feel that way, Kevin. In a survey done by Quora and I quote- "there are a tiny minority of people in the UK who admire Trump."   :)   Anyway we can still tweet like he does and publicize our books. Some people have been successful using social media. I directed many people to my eBook on Lulu from Facebook and so far I have had nearly 300 downloads of one of my books. (mind you it's free :) but it was good for Lulu to have people visit the site and good  for me too.)
  • "potential rude word in the UK."   Not all in the UK feel that way, Kevin. In a survey done by Quora and I quote- "there are a tiny minority of people in the UK who admire Trump."

I was on about the word trump, not the man, but there are currently people in the UK being arrested for being part of Hitler 'appreciation' groups, so a tiny minority admiring Trump in the UK is pretty meaningless, some small groups will admire anything.

Anyway we can still tweet like he does and publicize our books. Some people have been successful using social media. I directed many people to my eBook on Lulu from Facebook and so far I have had nearly 300 downloads of one of my books. (mind you it's free but it was good for Lulu to have people visit the site and good  for me too.)

Free helps, and don't know that many people on Facebook. To me it seems cheeky asking total strangers to Like or be my Friend.

edited December 2018
    Sorry Kevin, I thought you meant Trump the president of the USA. You capitalised the word. :) I have dual citizenship (my husband is American) so I was able to vote in the elections and although I didn't vote for Trump, the majority of the American people did. I was horrified by the disrespectful Trump balloon that the mayor of London let some people fly. I even wrote to him and told him to follow the example of Scotland. They refused to allow the Trump balloon to be flown.
    I always make my Facebook posts about my books on Lulu, "public" so they reach a wider audience. 

• Actually, the majority of Americans did not vote for Trump. Hillary Clinton won the popular vote with 65,844,954 (48.2%) to Trump's 62,979,879 (46.1%)---an historic difference, in fact. Unfortunately, we have this ridiculous Electoral College process that more than once in our history has awarded the presidency to the candidate who did not receive the majority of the popular vote. 
    Yes, I phrased that badly Ron. I realise that the Electoral College is an outmoded system and that Hillary Clinton got the popular vote, but Trump won key states and got all those votes that put him in the White House. That is the American system of voting for the President. I didn't vote for Teresa May here in the UK, but I still wouldn't have wanted the USA folk to fly a balloon of her in a nappy, when she visited the States. Isn't it a question of showing respect for the office of the Presidency or Prime Minister rather than the individual person.
  • I, for one, cannot wait to see one of the balloons here!
  • Regarding the electoral college: If we used a straight vote, then the population centers would dominate the nation -- Nebraska, Montana, and West Virginia might as well be their own nations for all the say that they would have in presidential elections.

I am speaking against interest here: my state, California, is a tail that wags the dog, with 55 electoral votes. California is a king-maker by presumption, and in any system we will have a big say in what happens. But Nevada would never have any say, and could argue that they are taxed without representation. A constitutional crisis, such as an Article V convention, could ensue.

So let's not be too hard on the electoral college. It sucks, but of the possible systems, it sucks the least.
  • But really.. should a Rhode Islander's vote even count? That state is like Connecticut's enclosed porch.
  • Sorry Kevin, I thought you meant Trump the president of the USA. You capitalised the word.

Because the heading of this thread said Trump, because he uses Twitter all the time, and I said ... (do I really need to explain it?  :(  )

I have dual citizenship (my husband is American) so I was able to vote in the elections and although I didn't vote for Trump, the majority of the American people did.

And those who did are now wondering why they did, like those here who voted to leave the EU.

I was horrified by the disrespectful Trump balloon that the mayor of London let some people fly.

Why? Trump does act like a big baby. He deserves no respect.

I even wrote to him and told him to follow the example of Scotland.

Gosh, did he reply?! But I bet Scotland did not want to disrespect him because he owns quite large chunks of Scotland.

They refused to allow the Trump balloon to be flown.

Why is permission required to fly a balloon? As long as it does not reach airspace.

I always make my Facebook posts about my books on Lulu, "public" so they reach a wider audience. 

All my additions on Facebook are public. Perhaps I should post more cats?

•  but I still wouldn't have wanted the USA folk to fly a balloon of her in a nappy,

Why would there be any reason to? She's not childlike.

edited December 2018
    Regardless of the holder, is the Presidency of the United States larger than any figure past or present? The office is not the person. Does the office of POTUS demand the utmost respect, regardless of the holder?

Kevin is he such a baby?  According to the Guardian,
       "Data from the Voter Study Group show that more than 80% of his votes came from men and women who voted for Republican nominee Mitt Romney just four years before. Liberals and progressives are forever predicting Donald Trump’s political demise. After each purported outrage – Charlottesville, separating children from their immigrant parents, now Helsinki – they confidently contend that this latest event will finally force Trump’s supporters to abandon him. Yet not only does this not happen, Trump’s support has actually risen by 6% since late 2017. How do they keep getting it so wrong?  
    and this from Quora 
    "
    And so, we’re seeing the best economy in most of our lifetimes, we’re watching our military being rebuilt, and N. Korea at least talking about reducing it’s nuclear arms pile. We’ve watched a U.S. president finally begin the process of renegotiating decades of terribly unfavorable trade agreements and practices, and our manufacturing industries are again thriving. And I’m just mentioning a few of hundreds if not thousands of improvements going on round us."
    I'm not a Trump fan but it would appear many people in the States are.
    Skoob I was doing some research into the history of the Electoral College and I take your point 
    Regarding the electoral college: If we used a straight vote, then the population centers would dominate the nation -- Nebraska, Montana, and West Virginia might as well be their own nations for all the say that they would have in presidential elections
    However I read that the reason for an EC was that in a direct election system, the North would outnumber the South, whose many slaves (more than half a million in all) of course could not vote. But the Electoral College—a prototype of which Madison proposed in this same speech—instead let each southern state count its slaves, albeit with a two-fifths discount, in computing its share of the overall count.
    Apparently it evolved from that view.  So as you say,
       "let's not be too hard on the electoral college. It sucks, but of the possible systems, it sucks the least."
    edited December 2018

The balloon is due to fly above Parliament Square in central London on Friday, after campaigners crowdfunded £16,000 to pay for it and the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, gave permission for it to fly. 

Yes they must get permission Kevin and Khan did not reply to my letter.  The Scottish police refused permission.

I hope this disgraceful balloon never flies in the States Ron. It would cause a riot! Too many people support Trump.

I'm glad you did explain that you meant trump and not Trump, Kevin. I know the various meanings of trump in English, but I really thought you meant the man was the explosive and you were expressing your feelings about Trump by the video. We are always being advised that punctuation matters and can lead to misunderstandings! :)
  • Regardless of the holder, is the Presidency of the United States larger than any figure past or present?

They have not all been of such a low IQ. He's a moron.

The office is not the person.

It is.

Does the office of POTUS demand the utmost respect, regardless of the holder?

Not when they allow him to tweet threats and other things to other world leaders. He's an idiot and dangerous. Can you not see that?!

•  "Data from the Voter Study Group show that more than 80% of his votes came from men and women who voted for Republican nominee Mitt Romney just four years before. Liberals and progressives are forever predicting Donald Trump’s political demise. After each purported outrage – Charlottesville, separating children from their immigrant parents, now Helsinki – they confidently contend that this latest event will finally force Trump’s supporters to abandon him. Yet not only does this not happen, Trump’s support has actually risen by 6% since late 2017. How do they keep getting it so wrong?  
    and this from Quora 
    "
    And so, we’re seeing the best economy in most of our lifetimes, we’re watching our military being rebuilt, and N. Korea at least talking about reducing it’s nuclear arms pile. We’ve watched a U.S. president finally begin the process of renegotiating decades of terribly unfavorable trade agreements and practices, and our manufacturing industries are again thriving. And I’m just mentioning a few of hundreds if not thousands of improvements going on round us."
    I'm not a Trump fan but it would appear many people in the States are.

All of that is Spin, and actual BS.
  • We are always being advised that punctuation matters and can lead to misunderstandings!

Where would you place one?

• Larika said:
    Skoob I was doing some research into the history of the Electoral College and I take your point 
    Regarding the electoral college: If we used a straight vote, then the population centers would dominate the nation -- Nebraska, Montana, and West Virginia might as well be their own nations for all the say that they would have in presidential elections
    However I read that the reason for an EC was that in a direct election system, the North would outnumber the South, whose many slaves (more than half a million in all) of course could not vote. But the Electoral College—a prototype of which Madison proposed in this same speech—instead let each southern state count its slaves, albeit with a two-fifths discount, in computing its share of the overall count.
    Apparently it evolved from that view.  So as you say,
       "let's not be too hard on the electoral college. It sucks, but of the possible systems, it sucks the least."
    Then, as now, population centers would dominate. Yes, slavery was baked into our constitution, and the surgery to remove it has cost us dearly. Better that cooler heads had prevailed from the start, and slavery had been abolished from the get-go.

But in that case, we should have had two nations instead of one, and could either have withstood the war of 1812, or the upheavals that led to it? It might have led us to a much worse place, with more cruel results than even slavery.

When we second-guess history, we are quickly in deep waters.
  • We need to recall, when we discuss the constitution, that it was not designed to make government work: It was designed to prevent government from working too well. Most of our founding fathers would look at the current shutdown and say, "Well, that's about right, then."

In support of this point, consider the filibuster: Any one senator can stop the government for up to two days, and if anywhere close to half the remainder support the same cause, that senator can shut down government indefinitely. And that was straight from the founders.
  • Democracy has a lot to answer for.

A fine example was the UK vote to leave the EU. 48% voted No. 52% voted Yes. So Yes it was, leaving 48% of the British people deeply upset. 

edited December 2018

Yes it was, leaving 48% of the British people deeply upset.  
     Which is why I prefer consensus, but for a very large group of people ----impossible. It will have to be the vote. 
    edited December 2018
    Where would you place one? 

Capitalisation is important too. :)
    edited December 2018
    Can you not see that?! 
     I have my opinion about President Trump, Kevin. I did not vote for him and voted for Hillary Clinton in stead. (I have my doubts about her too. I would have voted for Bernie Sanders if he'd been chosen by the Democrats. I thought Bill Clinton was  a good President, pity about the  Lewinsky affair.)  :) 
    edited December 2018
    Kevin said about President Trump "He's an idiot and dangerous.  He's a moron."

However, doesn't the office of the President, no matter who sits in the oval office, deserve respect? If it does then, when people  belittle the office they lessen the authority that the office deserves. I didn't want President Trump to occupy that office but he does. 

Anyway all I'm suggesting, is that we do what President Trump does and use twitter. As the Lulu presenter says, we can publicise our books by using it. I'm not asking people  to do everything  President T does!  :)
  •  Which is why I prefer consensus, but for a very large group of people ---- impossible.

For most groups of people I would have thought. Apart from Juries maybe?

It will have to be the vote.

Is that not a consensus? Which obviously does not work. Perhaps when a vote is just a Yes or a No, such a narrow gap in the results should make it nul and void?