Printer error: extra space added to top margin

bjomansonbjomanson Reader
edited December 2018 in Photo Books & Calendars

I just received a proof copy of a new photo-book, and there is a significant discrepency between my print-file and the printed book.  The discrepency is identical on every page: the text block (or picture) has dropped down about ¾ inch.  This error is consistent throughout the book: too much margin at the top and too little at the bottom.  This is my third proof copy for this book, and this margin error is new. The two previous proof-copies were fine in respect to their layout.  I went back and examined my current print-file page by page (the layout of which is identical to my two previous print-files).  In the two earlier proofs, every picture or text-block is centered vertically, as it should be.  The text-block, or picture, is pushed down on each page only in the third proof, though all three proofs used the same identical layout.

Even if I was responsible for an error in layout, the error would be confined to one page, as I lay out each page individually, and the pages are not linked in terms of their layout, so that a layout error could not cascade through subsequent pages.

I have designed and published about a dozen books with Lulu over the past two years, and have printed literally hundreds of individual copies, and I have never seen this error before.  Also, I have worked with Word for many years, and am thoroughly experienced with its layout functions and problems.  I don’t think this could be a Word problem.  I wouldn’t know how to drop the text block exactly the same distance on every page, except to do it manually, page by page, so I don’t see any way that it could be my error.   I also printed out the entire book here in my office, and the layout was perfect.  Text-blocks and pictures were all centered vertically on every page.

I’m concerned that even if this error is located and fixed, that it might happen again, so I would like to know how it happened.  Has anyone seen this problem before?  I also can’t afford to just keep ordering proof copies, as each one, with postage, costs me nearly $10.  But I’m not looking for a refund.  I just want to have the problem identified and fixed.

Comments