EPUB Conversion Help

Comments

• "Next"? should it not be a priority?
  • LarikaLarika Bibliophile
    edited November 2018
    I simply wanted to revise my ebook, The Pig Child, so I used the same file which was accepted before, but this time the wizard wouldn't accept it. Is it because the wizard is having problems? Will I have to make my own epub? Thanks for any help,
    All I wanted to do was change the cover to make it look as if it was for adults not children!! Now I've lost it! The wizard accepted the file before now it won't Sigh!
  • Larika said:
    I simply wanted to revise my ebook The Pig Child so I used the same file which was accepted before, but this time the wizard won't accept it. Is it because the wizard is having problems? Will I have to make my own epub? Thanks for any help,
    Larika said:
    I simply wanted to revise my ebook The Pig Child so I used the same file which was accepted before, but this time the wizard won't accept it. Is it because the wizard is having problems? Will I have to make my own epub? Thanks for any help,
    I had the same problem. Was in the middle of revising a book and the problems arose. Your book should still be up. Mine are anyway. I just have to finish the draft.

Just have to be patient. I am sure it will be fixed soon.
  • Hi Paul (and others),

I am at a loss to know how to upload my ebook to LULU. I have published successfully 8 ebooks via LULU in the past, but can't seem to upload my new one. 

I have tried to upload the ebook in the ODT format, however, the error message was related to no chapters being present. There are chapters as per the style guide!

I also tried to upload the ebook as an EPUB format and the error message received was:

"Your EPUB contains errors that must be addressed before you can proceed. Details...

The following issues can affect your EPUB's eligibility for the iBookstore:

• Failed validation. Please contact support for more information.

Download this file to review warning and error messages generated during validation: EPUB Results for 23608960.

Note: This file is intended for advanced users. It will tell you exactly what problems our validation tools found in your EPUB. If you are unsure what a particular error or warning means, you can try a Google search or ask for help in our forums. If you need to find this later, we will keep it in your account's My Files for at least 21 days.

At this time, our EPUB validation tools can only provide log results in English."

Do you know how I can successfully upload my ebook? TIA!

Thank you.

Natalie.

• If you scroll back to the first posting here, and read onwards, it tries to tell you what to do, but it is time it was fixed. Do Lulu not have Roll Back?  :)
  • Hey folks, we do have our developer team working on a fix to the issue with DOCX conversion. I'm hopeful we'll push that update to our live site soon, but i don't have a definite date yet.
    I know its a pain to get the file converted to an EPUB and edit it Calibre, but if you reach out to our support team, they should be able to help you get the file prepared for the current revision.
    Natalie - Converting to ODT can break the Heading style defaults. I don't know if its an issue with Word or how ODT is built or both, but I've seen this pop up a few times. Basically, the ODT isn't recognizing the Heading styles, even though they're right there. Again, our support staff should be able to help get those styles applied. I've had luck with just selecting the Heading style content in the ODT file (using Libre Office), clearing the formatting and reapplying the style.
    I hope that helps!
  • I am glad I have nothing yet prepared! My next stuff will possibly be the middle of next year!
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Paul. I'll download Calibre and have a go at an EPUB. Support also advised me to get Calibre and added,   "We've also created this Forum Thread: http://connect.lulu.com/en/discussion/353147/epub-conversion-help#latest. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist."
    So they are advising people to come here!!
    O dear I got this message when I tried to download Calibre from the link given in the forum. “calibre-3.34.0.msi” is an executable file. Executable files may contain viruses or other malicious code that could harm your computer. Use caution when opening this file. Are you sure you want to launch “calibre-3.34.0.msi”?
    Very worrying!

• The warning about Calibre is standard. I've been using the software for a couple years now without it causing any problems.
    I can certainly offer advice here, but if it goes beyond broad answers, we'd have to get someone from the support team to look at your file and trouble shoot the errors. Fortunately, when you upload an EPUB, we produce an error log if we don't accept the file.
    Thanks Paul, I'll download calibre and try to make an EPUB.
  • Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist."
    So they are advising people to come here!!

I clicked that link while I was in here, and came back here! It's full circle.

Thanks Kevin---- Interesting article.
    edited November 2018
    Just had a go at trying to create an EPUB using Calibre-----not easy!  I hope the wizard is fixed soon. I'll have another go tomorrow!
  •   The converter will not accept calibre upload.   How do I fix these errors???

ERROR: FOOTPRINTS_ON_MY_PATH_3000ebook_-_Arlene_King.epub/metadata.opf(-1): Publisher value is missing

ERROR: FOOTPRINTS_ON_MY_PATH_3000ebook_-_Arlene_King.epub/metadata.opf(-1): Unable to locate a valid publication date.  A date with the event attribute publication (opf:event=publication) is required

• I also received the error when uploading my file. I'm not in any way tech savvy enough to figure out what the problems are since the file works in my iBook program. In any case, I actually contacted Lulu to find out if there was a service and they wanted $999 for their package even though I had already done everything else. I don't have that kind of money. My question is, when will this be fixed? After spending days getting the file just right, I'd like to know how much longer I have to wait for these errors to be fixed.
  • Many people, before they realised they could upload a docx (before it broke!) had bother using Calibre to create an ePub. Lulu's Wizard seems to have a like for a particular kind of ePub. It can be the same for page files uploaded as a PDF.

He seems to be using this >>    http://ultimateebookcreator.com/?hop=ecatapult

I finally made an EPUB but the wizard rejected it. I'll have another go today! The docx was so much easier.
    edited November 2018
    OK, my second attempt with my EPUB was also rejected and this double-dutch came up,

Unable to locate element with id 'heading_id_16',16,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

OEBPS/text/content0016.xhtml(-1): IOException: Unresolved external XML entity:

'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd'

ERROR(RSC-005)

the_whole_of_the_pig_child__for_lulu_2018_A_size_for_eBook_nov_2018_libre_for_ePub_second_try.epub/OEBPS/text/content0016.xhtml(559,19): Error while parsing file 'Duplicate '_GoBack''.

ERROR(RSC-005):

OEBPS/content.opf(-1): Unable to locate a valid creator. A creator with the author role (role=aut) and the file-as attribute is required

ERROR:

Can you help Paul. Customer Services keep directing me here.

PS I opened the EPUB on my computer using Adobe Digital Editions and it worked perfectly. I had the correct headings and a TOC  that worked. So why is the wizard rejecting it?

• HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher
    I'm coming to the conclusion of another novel. but if this problem is not resolved, I will consider publishing with Amazon. Why change something that worked? 
    I fear many people will do the same Hulsey. I've been with Lulu since 2010 and have been very satisfied with this excellent organisation, so I'm going to stay. However I hope they fix the wizard for eBooks soon.
  •   The converter will not accept calibre upload.   How do I fix these errors???

ERROR: FOOTPRINTS_ON_MY_PATH_3000ebook_-_Arlene_King.epub/metadata.opf(-1): Publisher value is missing

ERROR: FOOTPRINTS_ON_MY_PATH_3000ebook_-_Arlene_King.epub/metadata.opf(-1): Unable to locate a valid publication date.  A date with the event attribute publication (opf:event=publication) is required

Hi arleneking,
    For this error you'll need to add the metadata. If you refer to the first posts on this thread, I explain how to add the publication date. That line has to be added manually to the content.opf file.
    The 'publisher value' can be added from the 'Edit Metadata' screen:

Once you're on this screen, you'll need to fill in these blocks:

Make sure your have the Title and Author(s) lines filled in too (the blocks at the top of the screen).
  • I also received the error when uploading my file. I'm not in any way tech savvy enough to figure out what the problems are since the file works in my iBook program. In any case, I actually contacted Lulu to find out if there was a service and they wanted $999 for their package even though I had already done everything else. I don't have that kind of money. My question is, when will this be fixed? After spending days getting the file just right, I'd like to know how much longer I have to wait for these errors to be fixed.
    First, if your file is prepared, I would advise not using our services to create your ebook. That package will include a slew of features and file preparation you won't need.
    Now, for the DOCX converter, I don't have a specific time frame, but we are working on resolving the issue.
    For your current file, if your DOCX is prepared and ready for conversion, creating an EPUB from Calibre is actually fairly simple. You should be able to convert to EPUB and add the metadata (see the first posts in this thread) that our converter would add and upload. If you give that a try and the upload isn't accepted, we'll produce an error log that we can use to find the issues with the file and advice on corrections.
  • Larika said:
    OK, my second attempt with my EPUB was also rejected and this double-dutch came up,

Unable to locate element with id 'heading_id_16',16,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

OEBPS/text/content0016.xhtml(-1): IOException: Unresolved external XML entity:

'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd'

ERROR(RSC-005)

the_whole_of_the_pig_child__for_lulu_2018_A_size_for_eBook_nov_2018_libre_for_ePub_second_try.epub/OEBPS/text/content0016.xhtml(559,19): Error while parsing file 'Duplicate '_GoBack''.

ERROR(RSC-005):

OEBPS/content.opf(-1): Unable to locate a valid creator. A creator with the author role (role=aut) and the file-as attribute is required

ERROR:

Can you help Paul. Customer Services keep directing me here.

PS I opened the EPUB on my computer using Adobe Digital Editions and it worked perfectly. I had the correct headings and a TOC  that worked. So why is the wizard rejecting it?

Hi Larika,
    I'm not sure about the Heading error. We'll probably have to look directly at the file to sort that one out.
    I do want to speak to the last comment about the EPUB working fine with ADE or iBooks. That's not surprising.
    Our converter has to prepare the ebook file for distribution through any of the distribution channels you might use for your ebook. That means meeting a wide range of requirements that go beyond a standard EPUB. So the file you've got might work fine in most ereaders, but it could be missing elements our distribution channels require.
  • Arachis_2013Arachis_2013 Florida Panhandle Writer
    Several tries, a good bit of finagling and figuring out what was wrong in each try, and I finally got my epub file to go through. A learning experience but not necessarily one I wish to go through again. :) It took me a while to realize if I opened the file in Calibre and read it to check for any problems, it would reinsert that pesky bookmark file I had just deleted!
  • Glad you got it to work!
    And yes, that bookmark file is a pain. I've been playing with Calibre in hopes there was some setting that would prevent the file from generating, but I haven't found anything yet.