Simple cover creation

zakmanzakman Reader Reader
I'm in the final stages of putting a book together, and am working with the Cover Wizard to create a cover for my book. I'd like to use one of the existing templates, but I don't need any of the text boxes or photo spaces on the endflap or back cover. I'd like to remove these from the template, but can't figure out how. Is this possible?

Alternatively, what's the best way to go about designing a very simple cover, without all the bells and whistles?

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

Just delete the text from them, the boxes do not print, but surely you need at least text on the cover? Leaving the default placed text there is about as simple as you can get. But what do you mean by endflap?

What exactly is it you want? Most books have content on the front cover, the spine and the back cover, even if it is only text. Blurb it expected on the back, though. What's the book about?

• Paul_LuluPaul_Lulu Admin Admin
    The web based cover designer is a little limited in that you have to use some of the template options. You can pick from a variety of layout combinations, but it is unlikely you'll find one that is just completely blank. As Kevin said, empty text boxes don't print, but empty image frames will.

There is an alternative that I know some have used. Make a cover with the templates and move to the next step. Once the the cover is completed, you will see a prompt to download the print ready PDF. You can take this file and use it as a template in InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, or any other software used for manipulating PDFs and remove/add elements as you see fit. 

Then take this new PDF to Lulu and go back to the cover step, this time opting for the One-Piece Cover tool. The PDF should be sized to fit already.

Finally, for really simple designs, I like Canva. You can create a custom design with specs from the One-Piece Cover tool (for overall size) and make a PDF or JPG very simply for your cover. If you're looking for a no-frills cover, Canva is my go-to choice. 
  • For ultra simplicity with covers, I would simply size a single coloured jpg or png to the right size, add whatever text, if any, is needed, save as a single / flattened image, and upload that. It's what I did for my very first book here on Lulu. 

but empty image frames will.

Are you sure about that? Because text boxes and image frames seem to be the same thing.

For ultra simplicity with covers, I would simply size a single coloured jpg or png to the right size, add whatever text, if any, is needed, save as a single / flattened image, and upload that. It's what I did for my very first book here on Lulu. 

Yes, I use the same method. One jpg for the entire front and one for the entire back, matching the spine colour to them. But I would not call my images simple.  :)

https://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=kevin+lomas&categoryId=200679