rejection

Hello, I recently had notification that my ebook novel had been rejected for distribution by Amazon. The problem is that I haven't even submitted it for distribution recently, in fact it's been listed on Amazon since 2014. Apparently the rejection is due to 2 innocuous typos. I could understand this if I had recently submitted but this isn't the case. Aso I have downloaded many a self-published book onto my Kindle which are riddled with typos, not to mention poor grammar and ridiculous cliches. Are Amazon letting their own KDP authors get away with it? What gives? But back to my main question: why are Amazon rejecting me so long AFTER they've listed it?

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius
    Policies change, and faster than ever nowadays. The only people who can answer you is Lulu and Amazon themselves. All I know is I have not had anything rejected, old or new!
  • Hi Marquesa,

I recommend to contact Support for further clarification from Amazon.

Kevin is correct though. Policies change and our retailers have become more strict over time.
  • wildwindwildwind Publisher

I'm sorry to hear this. It must be very upsetting for you.

I'm guessing that they didn't say 'we're rejecting your book because of two typos but 'we're rejecting your book because of typos, or because it offers a poor reader experience', which would suggest that there are more than two typos. On the other hand it might not be the typos at all that are causing the problem.

I suppose it is possible that someone contacted Kindle to complain about the book, which is what has triggered this action. If that is the case, it would seem rather unfair that they pull it.

It might be helpful, when you find out what the problem was, that you come back and make an update to your post so that others going through the same thing will know what to expect.

Few sites remove listed books without giving a good reason for doing so, then you can try to do something about it.
  • marquesamarquesa Creator
    Amazon pointed out that I used the word 'palette' where palate should have been used and 'compound' where impound could have been used. Well line me up against a wall and shoot me. If anyone has read Sebastion Faulks 'Human Traces,' he uses the word 'receipts' more than once where recipes should have been used. Far more confusing. And as I've said, Amazon doesn't seem to apply this strict rule to their own kdp authors.
    Are you kidding? I doubt even the great Amazon can afford to have editors run over everything placed in their book section. Something does not smell right to me ...
  • HULSEYHULSEY UK Publisher
    Yes, this seems strange for Amazon have someone read one of their titles. Two typos is not so bad. Have you upset them in some way?
    It is possible that an annoying person has pressed the Report button, giving silly reasons, and it is handled by some auto-software at Amazon which automatically removes/rejects something awaiting for a response from the publisher. You need to contest it with Amazon.
  • KlausBKlausB Germany Reader
    If the reason is the one described I am both furious and intimidated...it cant be for 2 typos..
  • I think it's bad luck leading to your book being the sacrificial cow. I can't see anyone at Amazon making an exhaustive check of the entire contents of an incredible amount of publications, I think what's happened, they've made a random check, you drew the short store, you've been incredibly unlucky in that they immediately spotted two typos, assumed the book was littered with them, thus its removal. If it's not that, then it is mind boggling.
    Amazon will not remove books because of typos. If that was the case then many would vanish. I doubt they even read the contents of any of them, unless, as I have said, someone has pressed the Report Button. Surely Amazon have not said they have removed the book because of two typos? There must be more to it than that, and the OP has had plenty of time to ask them ...
    Or all is not as it seems. The OP has still not replied. :(
  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor
    marquesa said:
    Amazon pointed out that I used the word 'palette' where palate should have been used and 'compound' where impound could have been used. Well line me up against a wall and shoot me. If anyone has read Sebastion Faulks 'Human Traces,' he uses the word 'receipts' more than once where recipes should have been used. Far more confusing. And as I've said, Amazon doesn't seem to apply this strict rule to their own kdp authors.
    Well, actually, "receipts" is in fact an older form of recipe
    One wonders what Amazon would do to Mark Twain---or any of hundreds of other writers who used a great deal of dialect in their stories---if they were publishing via Kindle today? (Or, for my British friends, any of Geoffrey Willans' Molesworth books?)

Amazon has no business acting as an editor.
  • DaviALDaviAL Reader
    HULSEY said:
    Yes, this seems strange for Amazon have someone read one of their titles. Two typos is not so bad. Have you upset them in some way?
    This is the only explanation that can stand to reason.. :smile: .
    Anyway, don't be (you and everyone) dissencouraged by such "anomalies", it is obviously a missunderstanding. I 've sold two books through amazon during the last decade, they werent ebooks (where typos can be fixed at no time) and believe me there were more than two typos...
  • potetjppotetjp Teacher
    Forget it all. Correct the typos, and publish the new version under a new ISBN.
  • A_A_CainA_A_Cain Oz Author
    potetjp said:
    Forget it all. Correct the typos, and publish the new version under a new ISBN.
    That's a band-aid approach. Finding out the root cause of a problem helps solve it, and if the cause is published here, that helps other people avoid it. Your approach risks two books with a problem (possibly the same problem) because the OP hasn't established what the problem actually is.